Basshead on a budget, JVC Xtreme Xplosives HAM5x sadly unavailable
Aug 19, 2012 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

maadim

New Head-Fier
Hey gang!

I was about to purchase the JVC Xtreme Xplosives HAM5x, when suddenly the retailer said the weren't available anymore in Canada where he was located, and finding a decent reliable and rather cheap retailer that ships internationally with a reasonable pricing came with no luck (I came to a 60$+ price tags!)

I am an electronic,dubstep,rap listener and therefore I found these headphones perfect for me both because of the price and their focus on bass and style. Plus, I read great reviews about them. 

Sadly I had to look for alternatives, and found a hard time doing that =(

Im looking for:

*Headphones targeted on bass and style (like the xx and the beats)
*around ear,full sized
*50mm drive (like on the xx, I know it gives great bass effect)
*max 60$

I hope you can help me!

Aug 19, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:
Hey gang!

I was about to purchase the JVC Xtreme Xplosives HAM5x, when suddenly the retailer said the weren't available anymore in Canada where he was located, and finding a decent reliable and rather cheap retailer that ships internationally with a reasonable pricing came with no luck (I came to a 60$+ price tags!)

I am an electronic,dubstep,rap listener and therefore I found these headphones perfect for me both because of the price and their focus on bass and style. Plus, I read great reviews about them. 

Sadly I had to look for alternatives, and found a hard time doing that =(

Im looking for:

*Headphones targeted on bass and style (like the xx and the beats)
*around ear,full sized
*50mm drive (like on the xx, I know it gives great bass effect)
*max 60$

I hope you can help me!

Your really not gonna get much help... beats is crap, driver size doesn't really matter, but you want the Sony XB500, I don't think it does it for your style, but then again no body is going to recommend anything less then the XB500. so SOL.

Aug 19, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #3 of 19
dunno I think the black XB500 looks pretty cool 

I've compared XB500 vs HA-M5X side by side and XB500 is better sounding, the M5X just has way too recessed highs. Both have very similar bass quantity.

Aug 19, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #4 of 19
Thanks man!

one question though: how the XB500 compare to the ham5x (Im a newbie, I understood that the driver size tells how massive the bass will be) and to the bigger,50mm XB700

thank you for the help!

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:
Thanks man!

one question though: how the XB500 compare to the ham5x (Im a newbie, I understood that the driver size tells how massive the bass will be) and to the bigger,50mm XB700

thank you for the help!

You shouldn't look at driversize, the XB500 has 40mm drivers but is among the very bassiest headphones out there, alongside with JVC HA-M5X, Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2, V-Moda Crossfade LP1, these are all the bassiest out there and around ~15dB bass boost versus Beats Studios for example which "only" has around 10dB boost.

The XB500 is bassier than big brother XB700 despite XB500 have 40mm drivers and XB700 50mm drivers. The M5X sounds quite muddy in comparision to XB500 due to the very veiled highs, the XB500 has boosted bass and everything else sounds a bit pushed behind in comparision but is relatively nicely balanced in the mids and highs for the price and type of headphone (bass monster).

The XB500 will easily output bass frequencies even lower than your hearing capabilities, I could hear down to 17Hz tones with XB500 but you'll even feel the basstones slightly lower than that. :p

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 19
If I'm not mistaken the XB700 have less quantity bass but much better quality. Don't get me wrong, they are both bass monsters, but the XB500 will have the quantity of bass you are looking for.

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken the XB700 have less quantity bass but much better quality. Don't get me wrong, they are both bass monsters, but the XB500 will have the quantity of bass you are looking for.

I personally see XB700 more like a side-grade than upgrade, I first had bought XB700, used them actively for around 2 weeks, then bought XB500 and preferred XB500. I can't call XB700 a downgrade though as it comes with qualities where it beats XB500 like better midrange clarity altough lacking in forwardness and slightly bigger soundstage.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

I personally see XB700 more like a side-grade than upgrade, I first had bought XB700, used them actively for around 2 weeks, then bought XB500 and preferred XB500. I can't call XB700 a downgrade though as it comes with qualities where it beats XB500 like better midrange clarity altough lacking in forwardness and slightly bigger soundstage.

I could see that. I only own the XB500 and shortly auditioned the XB700, so I really can't comment too deeply :)

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 19
listen to me.....xb500...thee end

@rpgwizard, where did you find those all black xb500's? lol i think im stupid enough to buy them right now this instant and i already have a working pair of xb500's sitting next to a pair of xb1000's

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

And that, my friends, is the story of a basshead.

XB500=ENDGAME. It's just so intense, the sheer amounts of bass thrown at you. They will shake so much with a good bassline, you can feel the vibrations all the way through the headband, on your head.

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

@rpgwizard, where did you find those all black xb500's? lol i think im stupid enough to buy them right now this instant and i already have a working pair of xb500's sitting next to a pair of xb1000's

How are the XB1000's? They just look SOOOO comfy.

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #15 of 19
they're crazy comfy lol, for trance and house in general i dont think they can be beaten, they bass digs deep and goes low while still maintaining control, sub bass is really what these things are about, you veel vibrations on the top of your head, running down your cheek bones  to the back of your neck and jawline lol, but they arent really punchy or hard hitting in the mid bass, not in comparison to the xb500s

but you do get really clean, tight bass that somehow doesnt bleed into the mids or highs and crazy big soundstage, even still, i still prefer the xb500's for hip hop and dubstep

Users who are viewing this thread

Back