Bass IMPACT!!!!!! Thats all I ever asked for in life :(
Nov 10, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #541 of 621
Both the Beyers have way more bass than the 555s

Nov 10, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #542 of 621
I think I have narrowed it down to the XB500/700, D1100, and the DT990 Premium 250 ohm.

The D1100 and the DT990 can be had for about the same price on Amazon. If they will give markedly better sound than the XB series then I am willing to spend the extra money.

Assuming you would recommend either the D1100 or DT990 over the XBs (if you would not please let me know), which headphone would you recommend for me?

Looking for a sound signature similar to the Monster Turbine Pro Golds.
I want full deep bass but don't want to sacrifice clarity.
I would prefer not to use an amp.
Sources: iPhone 4, iPod classic 120gb, 13" MacBook Pro
^Given my sources, I would prefer not to have to EQ...

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #543 of 621
I wouldn't pick DT990 250 ohm if u aren't gonna use any amp especially with those sources, I don't know how much easier driven the 32 ohm is but I remember some1 saying the difference wasn't that big. XB700 needs a decent amp too to get most out of it, otherwise you'll get only very loose bass and great lack of punch in it. I'd either pick D1100 or XB500 for those sources, the D1100 should have plenty of bass too and very capable of "full deep bass" + it's very portable at roughly same weight as XB500 I think at 189g and shuts off ambient noise well and doesn't leak sound which XB500/700 does. So I might have gone for D1100 but that's only based on some reviews I've read, it seems to be among the very bassiest Denon headphone if not the bassiest and it's really comfortable and portable. At least from a HD555 it should be a decent upgrade, check around for the Denon comparision threads around here and you'll get quite good words about the D1100.

How would you describe the sound signature of Monster Turbines then? The D1100 got a warm sound signature with smooth highs and GREAT deal of bass, and XB500 is pretty much the same, I'm not sure but I'd guess XB500 is probably slightly more punchy in the bass and D1100 slightly more om the deep/"boomy" side without an amp at least.

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #545 of 621
Quote:
I want full deep bass but don't want to sacrifice clarity.

I don't think there's anything in production that actually can do that.  I think I'm goning to have to make myself a pair of Thunderpants...

Quote:
im stuck between beyers dt 770 pro and dt 990 pro

i will be using my sony x series mp3 player with my cmoy bb 2.02 amp

Take the 770 if you want isolation. and the 990 if you want soundstage.

Nov 10, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #546 of 621
I auditioned those xb500 and they were so boring. Im pretty sure it must be different once properly amped, but I'm glad I didn't buy them. The bass impact out of the ultrasone 750 prolines I got instead are day and night apart imho. I've been loooking for this type of punchy subterranean bass. With the mids now brought forward  (thanks kees) they remind me of my bright sr80s with BASS. Im guessing the 780s might be the better choice but I think I've read that the bass is more refined in the 750 pros. Correct me if im wrong :/

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #547 of 621
RadiatedAnt,
Read the last few pages. The XB500s sound terrible when you demo them at Best Buy, but posters who own them say they sound incredibly better out of a good (a headphone amp or a receiver) source or even just an OK (ipod) source.

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #548 of 621
No doubt the xb500 are really good with techno, trance, chillhouse, etc. After some good burn in time, the produce some awesome booming bass. Still going to compare them to the 750Dj when they get here Friday or Monday
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #549 of 621

Quote:
I wouldn't pick DT990 250 ohm if u aren't gonna use any amp especially with those sources, I don't know how much easier driven the 32 ohm is but I remember some1 saying the difference wasn't that big. XB700 needs a decent amp too to get most out of it, otherwise you'll get only very loose bass and great lack of punch in it. I'd either pick D1100 or XB500 for those sources, the D1100 should have plenty of bass too and very capable of "full deep bass" + it's very portable at roughly same weight as XB500 I think at 189g and shuts off ambient noise well and doesn't leak sound which XB500/700 does. So I might have gone for D1100 but that's only based on some reviews I've read, it seems to be among the very bassiest Denon headphone if not the bassiest and it's really comfortable and portable. At least from a HD555 it should be a decent upgrade, check around for the Denon comparision threads around here and you'll get quite good words about the D1100.

How would you describe the sound signature of Monster Turbines then? The D1100 got a warm sound signature with smooth highs and GREAT deal of bass, and XB500 is pretty much the same, I'm not sure but I'd guess XB500 is probably slightly more punchy in the bass and D1100 slightly more om the deep/"boomy" side without an amp at least.

Yeah based on the D1100 reviews I have seen they appear to be really excellent headphones. Sound is so subjective though, at least in terms of what sounds good to an individual, and so I guess the only way to really know is to snag a pair and give them a try.

Well I am not exactly up on all of the jargon for describing sound but I will do my best to describe how the MTPGs sound to me...
Bass is my main priority (if that weren't obvious already) and I find the turbines deliver quite well in that area considering they are an IEM. I love booming enveloping sub-bass that really immerses you in the music. I am constantly impressed by how low these little guys can reach when they are called upon. With a flat EQ I never find the bass encroaching on the mids or muddying up the sound (given the recording is high quality and well-mixed of course). The bass gets quite punchy when needed as well though. Instruments that call for impact definitely get it. The highs are soft, never harsh, which is big for me. I hate it when a snare or something comes across too bright and makes me wince.

The sound signature is definitely warm but I still find them to be extremely clear. I think what I am enjoying most about this IEM is that if I want to lay back and get lost in the music, it allows me to do that. However, if I want to listen analytically and pay close attention to a track I can pick out nuances that are lost in other phones. I can hear the singer breathe in before belting out a big note, I can hear pedal work on piano solos, fret work with guitars, etc. I like that those things are there if I want them, but I can also get lost in the music and zone out if I wish.

Also, the turbines are pretty forgiving with low-quality recordings. Most of my library consists of 256/320kpbs files which sound excellent. However I do have some 128kps files from a long time ago that I have since lost the original source material for. Although the difference is noticeable, it is not unbearable.

So I guess in a nutshell I find the MTPGs to be bassy (great sub-bass extension for IEM, but also fairly punchy bass for drum kicks and the like), soft in the treble (definitely audible and clear but never harsh or piercing), and great for getting lost in your music or picking it apart (to an extent, I realize there are analytical monitors that do this better).

Quote:
Quote:

I don't think there's anything in production that actually can do that.  I think I'm goning to have to make myself a pair of Thunderpants...

Yeah I realize that is asking a lot. Especially considering I am not looking at really pricey headphones, but want a bargain. A man can dream though...

Nov 11, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #550 of 621

Quote:
I auditioned those xb500 and they were so boring. Im pretty sure it must be different once properly amped, but I'm glad I didn't buy them. The bass impact out of the ultrasone 750 prolines I got instead are day and night apart imho. I've been loooking for this type of punchy subterranean bass. With the mids now brought forward  (thanks kees) they remind me of my bright sr80s with BASS. Im guessing the 780s might be the better choice but I think I've read that the bass is more refined in the 750 pros. Correct me if im wrong :/

LOL, 750 being more punchy/bassy than XB500, wonder what Best Buy use to get such poor results. xD I don't use any amp with XB500, only run them straight from an Audigy 2 ZS and using the much much better drivers kX Audio 3rd party drivers that provide a night and day improvement over Creative's and they are significantly more bassy and punchy than XB700, DT770 Pro and Sennheiser HD212 Pros even when paired with FiiO E5 or Gary's PA2V2 amps as these XB500 are extremely easily driven headphones. Every1 knows here those 3 are bassmonsters and XB500 provide at least noticaably more punch in the bass still. If I use an amp with the XB500 I'd have to run the volume slider in Windows 7 + kX Audio at like 10% (no kidding) to be able to use the recommended 50%+ on the volume knob of the Gary's PA2V2 amp itself even when gain is set to the lowest possible! At 100% volume in Win7 + kX Audio with Gary's AMP set to max with highest gain I'd probably be able to hear them from outside my house or at least 3 rooms away and hear what is being sung! xD

Boxer757> I'm pretty sure by your definition you'd like XB500 or D1100 sound, I'm slightly worried how exactly you find the D1100's bass to be, could perhaps be slightly less punchy in the bass but probably more pronounced in the deep "booming" bass segment but rest of the frequency range should probably be to your liking. I also need a warm sound to really be able to enjoy music.

Nov 11, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #551 of 621
Quote:

Yeah I realize that is asking a lot. Especially considering I am not looking at really pricey headphones, but want a bargain. A man can dream though...

Even counting the most expensive headphones, there isn't anything still in production that has what most of us are looking for.  AFIK there are two pair of 'phones that might tons of bass without sacrificing quality (Ultrasone ED9 and AT L3000) and both of those were limited production runs that I believe have appreciated in value since their release.

The Thunderpants may be able to do it since each pair is individually custom made and can be tuned to individual preferences.

Nov 12, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #553 of 621

Quote:
RadiatedAnt,
Read the last few pages. The XB500s sound terrible when you demo them at Best Buy, but posters who own them say they sound incredibly better out of a good (a headphone amp or a receiver) source or even just an OK (ipod) source.

XB500's are my favorite headphones for my ipod bar none. And yes the Best Buy Display is appalling, so bad, so boring, so sibilant. I Don't know what Sony was thinking when they set that up. IT doesn't help none of the music is any good either.

XB500's at home or just out of your ipod are WORLDS better. They don't even sound like the same headphones as far as I am concerned.

Nov 12, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #554 of 621

Quote:

Quote:
RadiatedAnt,

XB500's are my favorite headphones for my ipod bar none. And yes the Best Buy Display is appalling, so bad, so boring, so sibilant. I Don't know what Sony was thinking when they set that up. IT doesn't help none of the music is any good either.

XB500's at home or just out of your ipod are WORLDS better. They don't even sound like the same headphones as far as I am concerned.

What type of music predominately?

Nov 12, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #555 of 621

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
RadiatedAnt,

What type of music predominately?

That, my dear sir is a strange topic for me. Different times of the day see different types of music played. In the morning might be something like a little Post-Rock (The Appleseed Cast, The Antlers). When my ears are warmed up I'll turn on the Proggressive metal(Dream Theater, Ayreon) or Some Psytrance if I'm feeling up to it (Eskimo). Maybe Midday I'll put on some real Hip Hop( Murs)  A little later on I usually like either a bit of metal or Ska( Strapping Young Lad, and Streetlight Manifesto respectively)  At the end of the day usuallly Day9 gets me into TechnoPop( Trentemoller, Solvent, Salem)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back