Bass IMPACT!!!!!! Thats all I ever asked for in life :(
Nov 9, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #512 of 621

Quote:
so that puts me back in the market of the xb500's,

are they going to fail with music like dave matthews, willie nelson, zeppelin?

They sound pretty good to me on Pete Yorn which is sorta close to Dave Mathews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jwP_5A_R4E

Song starts at 0:22 ( the first part doesn't sound so great, but thats due to the source) it sounds really good on my XB500's.

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #513 of 621
i wish i could just find a place to listen to these phones.  I am betting the m50's will suffuce my bass needs.

I can see how this gets so expensive. 

on the other hand, i havent enjoyed my music so much in years.  I actually try to find times to plug in and listen. 

I know the beats are a bit overpriced, but dre's quote is really what made me want to see (hear) what i was missing.

“People aren’t hearing all the music. Artists and producers work hard in the studio perfecting their sound. But people can’t really hear it with  normal headphones. Most headphones can’t handle bass, the detail, the dynamics. Bottom line, the music doesn’t move you. ” – dr. dre

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #514 of 621
Most Best Buys actually carry the XB500's, the bad part about that is you can use your own source and their music sucks for showcasing what the XB500's are really capable of.

What I suggest is you go and buy their's, it's more money but hear me out. Take it home use it, if it's good take it back and get your money back and buy it online for half the cost. If you don't like it then go for the shures I suggested, they are forward aggressive cans with alot of bass impact. In other words they are the direct upgrade from the XB500's.

Nov 9, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #515 of 621
Prob with the Shures seems to be uncomfort though, so far about every review I've read nitpicks their comfort. I just thought it was worth pointing out. Denon D1100 could perhaps be a good alternative to Shure 750DJs but I haven't heard them and Denons tend to be slightly boomier in the bass than punchy.

Nov 9, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #516 of 621

Most Best Buys actually carry the XB500's, the bad part about that is you can use your own source and their music sucks for showcasing what the XB500's are really capable of.

What I suggest is you go and buy their's, it's more money but hear me out. Take it home use it, if it's good take it back and get your money back and buy it online for half the cost. If you don't like it then go for the shures I suggested, they are forward aggressive cans with alot of bass impact. In other words they are the direct upgrade from the XB500's.

That is genius. Why didnt I ever think of that before
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #517 of 621
Quote:

I get the right amount of bass from the s4's, i get a good seal, they are awesome, but i need more bass. - does the m50 give me more bass? do closed or full hp's in general give more bass?

If you want that much bass, you're pretty much going to have to go with the XBs then.

Nov 9, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #518 of 621
Could some1 that has tried the Denon D1100 describe the bass more clearly how it compares to the other headphones being discussed here, it would be a good headphone from many perspective for bassheads if it's up to the task. It's only 189grams despite 50mm driver units! pretty much same weight as XB500 I think that is 40mm, it doesn't leak noise and it's very portable and comfortable and seem to isolate a decent amount and it's warm/forward sound signature coupled with smooth highs would fit the bass-centered genres well. I get mixed information about them, some talk about them as the bassiest Denons and others says they aren't even as bassy as M50... WHAT SHOULD ONE BELIEVE in....

Nov 9, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #519 of 621
o yea, comfort...

I forgot to tell yall i have a big head!

i just headr some xb500's at best buy.

i suppose that the m50's will be clearer and louder in the mids?

what is the cheapest place to buy one of these, amazon?

Nov 9, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #520 of 621
Nov 9, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #521 of 621
Remember Best-Buy uses a really poor source, there's been several people reporting that they sound a lot better once plugging them in to their own source at home so it might not be a good representative for what they can sound like and a headphone that is very smooth sounding by default is even more exposed to bad audio sources. M50 may have slightly clearer mids but they sound suprisingly similar but M50's mids might be slightly more pronounced unEQd vs unEQd which can easily be fixed with EQing of XB500. Anyway the XB500 needs some EQing, the reason they might sound slightly muddy unEQd is cuz they're are REALLY much boosted in the upper-bass to lower-mid region starting from around 125Hz to 500Hz or so which require to be lower than the rest of the frequencies and highs, 4 - 16kHz needs a boost then they become a lot more balanced and clearer sounding to what highend headphones should sound like. I sold M50 after I tried XB500 and EQd it appropriately cuz I was able to get at least as good result in every song I tried them with after appropriate EQing so I thought it was worth selling the 3x expensier M50 here in Finland to save some money.

Quote:

Yea that's where I got the impression that D1100 would be a VERY bassy headphone and bassiest of Denons but he just seems to be a Denon guy and I don't really know how Denons compare in bass quantity compared to other bassy headphones. Like I've said I've also read about a person comparing them to M50 and he thought M50 were bassier... M50 to me is rather weak in bass quantity & impact so that's why I'm a bit confused what to believe. Obviously those Denons could all seem very bassy to him if he hasn't tried other brands. ^^

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #522 of 621

Quote:
Prob with the Shures seems to be uncomfort though, so far about every review I've read nitpicks their comfort. I just thought it was worth pointing out. Denon D1100 could perhaps be a good alternative to Shure 750DJs but I haven't heard them and Denons tend to be slightly boomier in the bass than punchy.

I always heard the comfort issues were on the 440's and 840's. I've never been able to get my hands on those but to me the 750DJ's were comfortable. Nothing compares to the XB series when it comes to comfort though.

Quote:
jbp7hl said:

o yea, comfort...

I forgot to tell yall i have a big head!

i just headr some xb500's at best buy.

i suppose that the m50's will be clearer and louder in the mids?

what is the cheapest place to buy one of these, amazon?

Please don't trickj yourself into thinking that's what the XB500 sounds like. Trust me take them home they will sound worlds different.

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #523 of 621
I owned the D2000s for a bit and I've heard the D5000s.  I don't remember the exact bass quantity though.  They were both more than the M50s and I remember the D2000 responded really well to EQ.  I remember the D5000s making a bass-lite track slightly bass heavy as well.

Neither are bass monsters like the XB series but they do go quite deep and can be EQed into some monstrous bass.  The quality of the rest of spectrum is better than the XB700s as well.

The D2000s had a slight bit of tizz and sibilance that made me trade them for some HD650s to be my primary 'phone.  The D5000s are supposed to have fixed that problem, but they're a lot more money.

I haven't heard the D1100s but if they have more bass than the D5000s and respond to EQ half as well as the D2000s they should be a good choice for bassheads.

There's a meet I'm going too this weekend and afterwards I'm probably going to sell my DT770/600s and AKG K340s so I'll have some money freed up to buy another pair of 'phones to try out.

Nov 9, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #524 of 621
BTW, here's my very simple and not very elegant mods for XB500. Since the pads are so soft and big they are very prone to deformalities from uneven pressure (which will also affect how the drivers themselves are pointed to your earchannel which can affect sound quality), for me the pads got a lot thinner at the upper edge after a while compared to lower edge as there is more pressure being added higher up due to the cups are pointed pretty much vertically against the head whereas the head gets thicker higher up. Therefore I added some paper between the cup holding mechanism and where the plugs are connected at to remain a slightly slanting position of the cups so that even pressure is aligned on the pads. Depending on how thick you make the paper between the more strict or lose tension / slant you're gonna get and I found it changes a bit also how it sounds like, the more slanting cups the more bass and more overpowered mids due to added pressure at the bottom of the cup and vice versa. The last pic should show roughly how far from the headband and the upper cup edge should be for IMO optimal sound quality (for my head at least), it should be around 3mm space between (when I apply a gentle twist on the cups representing I'd be wearing them), default without the mod the space between would probably be around 5-6mm. The other paper piece was added to make the cups more stable as I found sometimes in very bassheavy songs at higher volume and very low bass the there may be a little rattling noise and this seems to come from the driver cups vibrating or the holding mechanism or whatever and the paper piece also helps to remove this. With the mods they can usually handle earvibrating subwoofer bass without the rattle. Blu-tak would probably work great too to adjust the cup slanting ratio but I didn't have any right now so used some paper for now.

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/5073/img0387xd.jpg
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/5819/img0394i.jpg
http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/5224/img0398cb.jpg
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/118/img0403wj.jpg

YES it makes a noticable difference.

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #525 of 621
I know it may be a bit over your budget considering the headphone options, but I humbly recommend you try the Audio Technica W1000X. I believe that these pair of headphones match your genres perfectly. Excellent bass impact (definitely not as much as the XB series but more so than the M50) layered with plenty of midrange and detail. Extremely pleasant soundstage too

But if they are far out of your price range, just ignore my comment. Maybe something to consider later on

Quote:
so that puts me back in the market of the xb500's,

are they going to fail with music like dave matthews, willie nelson, zeppelin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back