Bass IMPACT!!!!!! Thats all I ever asked for in life :(
Nov 9, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #526 of 621
Quote:
I know it may be a bit over your budget considering the headphone options, but I humbly recommend you try the Audio Technica W1000X.

How is the bass on those?  Do you remember off hand how low they happen to go?

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #527 of 621
My audition with them was quite brief, but from what I remember, my impressions with them match Skylab's for the most part.

It was difficult to say what were the best aspects of the headphone, but I could find not faults with anything. I remember there being bass impact similar to that of the Denon D7000, but more tight. I did not hear or sense any sort of subbass cut-off. Actually, I felt that the W1000X could have had more bass impact potential from EQ than the Denons due to its design but, I did not have the Denons to compare at the time. However, without it, I was still very pleased with the overall sound, but I think Denons have more emphasized subbass. It didn't have the details of the HD800 obviously, but it was definitely more detailed than my W11JPN that I love. Soundstage was in a different level from the W11JPN and very impressive for a closed headphone (especially with the level of bass response that it had). It also didn't have laid-back vocal recession that forced the D7000s to be more limited in terms of music genres.

If you consider the Denon d7000 to be a basshead headphone, then the W1000X would be too and better than the Denon IMO.

Quote:
How is the bass on those?  Do you remember off hand how low they happen to go?

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #528 of 621
Thanks for that.  I'll have to see if I can snag a listen to one.

It would appear I have no upgrade paths that don't involve spending very large amounts of money at this point.
frown.gif

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #529 of 621
NP. My journey in upgrading has been difficult for me too. It has just been ridiculously difficult for me to find headphones that are exceptional with vocals and everything else also. If the vocals on the W1000X were as good as the W11JPN, I would have bought the W1000X in a heart beat, but it definitely wasn't so. To be fair, the HD800 and T1 didn't cut it for me either vocal-wise

It seems that I may have to go as far as to getting an L3000 or other elusive headphones... At least for now, I am definitely not willing to spend the money needed for an L3000

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #531 of 621

Quote:
NP. My journey in upgrading has been difficult for me too. It has just been ridiculously difficult for me to find headphones that are exceptional with vocals and everything else also.

We are all on this track, just at different levels.

what are your favorite picks at the different $ levels

like under 50$ phones

under 100

how high does this go, 500 for a set of phones?????

Someone once posted, all of us in the beginning of this journey should start with a pair of M50's and go from there, some of us may never change.

what would be your phones in the statement above.

just curious.

Nov 9, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #532 of 621

Quote:
Someone once posted, all of us in the beginning of this journey should start with a pair of M50's and go from there, some of us may never change.

Everyone should start below or just at $100, that way you have enough time understand yourself and what you like. If you go straight for $500 headphones then you probably will never appreciate how good headphones those are, or you wont like them cause they will be so off from your personal tastes that you just wasted $500. I'd rather have five $100 headphones of which each will perform particularly well in a certain genre then one  headphone which will only work well in 4 of those.

People suggest uncolored, balanced headphones are the only way to go, but I've always found that boring and in that pursuit you are looking at more money spent due to the increased need for a higher quality amp and a better source. At the end of the day this hobby is expensive even  if your just looking to get the potential out of a set of RS-1's or M50's you still are gonna end up spending more then you bargained for.

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #536 of 621
I second that!  I just went to Best Buy to try the XB500 after reading this great thread.  Their Sony demo is terrible!  The Monster demo for the the Dr. Dre Beats Studio is much better.  I almost walked out with out buying the XB500 because they sounded so lame but I figured I'd give them a try after all the praise they recieve here.  Boy am I glad I did!  At home it was a totally different story.  I plugged them into my Integra DTR 6.9 100w receiver and they blew my socks off!  Heck they even sound better through my iPhone compared to Best Buy's demo.
I like these so much now i'm second guessing my plan to dump a bunch of money into getting a DT 990 600 ohm with a Maverick Audio A1 & D1 desktop rig.  These sub $100 cans might save me a bunch of cash!

Quote:
Remember Best-Buy uses a really poor source, there's been several people reporting that they sound a lot better once plugging them in to their own source at home so it might not be a good representative for what they can sound like and a headphone that is very smooth sounding by default is even more exposed to bad audio sources. M50 may have slightly clearer mids but they sound suprisingly similar but M50's mids might be slightly more pronounced unEQd vs unEQd which can easily be fixed with EQing of XB500. Anyway the XB500 needs some EQing, the reason they might sound slightly muddy unEQd is cuz they're are REALLY much boosted in the upper-bass to lower-mid region starting from around 125Hz to 500Hz or so which require to be lower than the rest of the frequencies and highs, 4 - 16kHz needs a boost then they become a lot more balanced and clearer sounding to what highend headphones should sound like. I sold M50 after I tried XB500 and EQd it appropriately cuz I was able to get at least as good result in every song I tried them with after appropriate EQing so I thought it was worth selling the 3x expensier M50 here in Finland to save some money.

Quote:

Yea that's where I got the impression that D1100 would be a VERY bassy headphone and bassiest of Denons but he just seems to be a Denon guy and I don't really know how Denons compare in bass quantity compared to other bassy headphones. Like I've said I've also read about a person comparing them to M50 and he thought M50 were bassier... M50 to me is rather weak in bass quantity & impact so that's why I'm a bit confused what to believe. Obviously those Denons could all seem very bassy to him if he hasn't tried other brands. ^^

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #537 of 621
Bass impact, with a good equalizer/sound spectrum regulator system (knobs for bass, treble, balance etc.) and a good DAC you can get far too. My old Pioneer sounded more bass heavy through my SRC2496, very pleasingly so. 

Sometimes a headphone needs some serious amplification to really present its sound. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #539 of 621
I don't know about the Pro, but I've heard the 600 ohm premium.  It certainly has a lot of bass, and it's great quality, but there are other 'phones like the XB series that best it in quantity.

Nov 10, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #540 of 621
i was thinking of buying the XB  but if im going to upgrade, i might of aswell upgrade something with better bass and with better overall build and sound quality.

can u still say that the 990 pro or the 770 pro has more bass than hd 555?
smily_headphones1.gif

i am also having trouble picking between them two
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back