Bass IMPACT!!!!!! Thats all I ever asked for in life :(
Nov 8, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #496 of 621
I for some reason did read the entire 33 page thread (actually learned alot), all i have to compare these to is a pair of Klipsch s4i's.  I am looking for my first real pair of full phones and am curious to the bass impact of the M50's and the XB500's when compared to my s4i IEM's. 

I am using a iphone, no eq, no amp.

I find my self leaning to the M50's but I really want some bass that I feel I am missing so much of.  thanks for all of yalls insight. 

p.s. I read alot of the "sorry about your wallet" comments.  I am about two weeks into this upgrade my ibuds thing and have some V-Modas, S4i's, Meelec M9's on the way, and now i cant stay away from this site and this thread.  i need some full hp's and some bass, My wallet is scared. 

edit: check that, I get to be post #1 on page 34

Nov 8, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #497 of 621
The M50s have plenty of bass.  They'll probably be satisfying to all but the most extreme bass-heads (like many of us in this thread).  The rest of spectrum is good too.  They are great overall headphones.

The Sony XB series are quite a bit more specialized.  They're not bad, but they aren't everyone's cup of tea and even those who like them (like me) might not like them all the time or with all genres.

What sort of music to you listen to?  That will probably decide the issue.

Nov 8, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #499 of 621
U've NEVER heard trance???? Ultrasones are great with trance. Not sure how youd like them with your genres though...

M50s are more generally liked though I think the HFI 580s can have more bass impact. I wouldnt recommend the XB series for your genres.

Quote:
My music is typically, classic rock, rap, alt country. 

I am completely unfamiliar with the types of music ive read yall post about on here.  Trance?

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #501 of 621
Quote:
My music is typically, classic rock, rap, alt country. 

You'd probably like the M50s better for those genres.  The XBs may be better for rap but would probably fail at classic rock or country.

Nov 8, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #502 of 621
So I have spent the last day and a half perusing this thread and looking up all the headphones being talked about. I currently own the Monster Turbine Pro Golds and have really been enjoying them. I would like some full-sized headphones mostly for use at home but portability is always a bonus. Biggest factors are comfort and obviously sound. Bass is my main priority but I don't want it to wash out the mids and highs (I am slightly sensitive to highs I think, at least I hear harshness/sibilance where some of my friends don't).

I owned the S4s for a bit and found the treble harsh and the bass lighter than I like. Have a pair of Bose QC2s that I got for Xmas ages ago. Sadly I find that my MTPGs do everything better in my opinion. I guess I am looking for an full-size hp that gives me a similar sound signature to the MTPG. Warm, bassy, enveloping, exciting, etc.

XB500/700 look very appealing given the low price-point. I am intrigued by the DT-770 Pro80, 580/780, & M Audio Q40 as well. I'm not rolling in the $$$ and I just dropped a good amount of money on the MPTGs. $200 is my absolute limit unless you can convince me dropping slightly more will net me a big return in sound... closer to $100 is preferable.

Sources: iPhone 4, 120gb iPod Classic, 13" MBP... so obviously my EQ abilities are limited and I am not really interested in purchasing a new player.
I do not own an amp. I am open to getting a sub-$100 amp if it is worth the investment but I would prefer headphones that run well off my sources alone.

Music - mainly rap, hip hop, alternative, classical, dubstep though I go on tangents where I listen to all kinds of music
Artists I listen to frequently if that helps: Kid Cudi, Eminem, Kanye, Breaking Benjamin, NIN, Muse, BassNectar, Mike Posner, Beethoven, Franz Liszt, Mozart, Imogen Heap, Elvis... so a fairly eclectic mix...

Thanks so much for any input, this thread has been very educational.

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #503 of 621
i still dont know what trance is?

After all of this reading and researching just about every make and model that was suggested, I am guessing the M50s the right phones for me.  AT calls them professional studio monitor headphones?  I just want to jam and have some good deep bass for the first time. 

how does a full hp (M50) compare to my S4's.

better or worse bass

louder or quieter

and whatever i choose wont be amped or eq'ed, does that matter?

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #504 of 621
Boxer, I'd recommend the Denon D1001s.  Lovely, warm, bassy, punchy sound, but they're still detailed and forward.  I paid $130 for mine, although, since they've now been replaced by the D1100s, they might be a bit difficult to find.  You might just go for the D1100s, although they're about $200 (Headroom, Amazon, et cetera).  I've got the Ultrasone HFI-780s incoming, and I tested them on Saturday.  They have fantastic bass, but the treble (like most Ultrasones, in my experience) is pretty hot.  The Denons are not remotely fatiguing in that area.

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #505 of 621
Nov 9, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #506 of 621

Quote:
Boxer, I'd recommend the Denon D1001s.  Lovely, warm, bassy, punchy sound, but they're still detailed and forward.  I paid $130 for mine, although, since they've now been replaced by the D1100s, they might be a bit difficult to find.  You might just go for the D1100s, although they're about $200 (Headroom, Amazon, et cetera).  I've got the Ultrasone HFI-780s incoming, and I tested them on Saturday.  They have fantastic bass, but the treble (like most Ultrasones, in my experience) is pretty hot.  The Denons are not remotely fatiguing in that area.

Hadn't heard of them before (I am a relative noob) but I found both on Amazon and have been reading through some threads here on head-fi. I really like what I am reading about the D1100s. $200 is pushing it a bit but it sounds like they could be everything I am looking for potentially. Yeah if the treble is hot on the 780s then I doubt I will like them, at least for extended listening which is my main purpose for grabbing some full size phones. I am loving my MTPGs but I just get tired of having IEMs jammed in my ears for hours at a time.

Think I would be better off dropping the $200 on the D1100 or perhaps grabbing a Fiio E7 and the XB500s for relatively the same price?

Haven't really seen anything but glowing reviews on the D1100s and as far as I can tell without actually demoing them they seem to be what I am looking for, but do you think there are any headphones in the same price range that would be closer to the type of sound I'm seeking?

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #507 of 621
Well getting an amp with bass boost feature for XB500 would be good idea only if you like getting same bass from your headphones like from your car sub.
biggrin.gif
The D1100 and XB500 seems to have a similar sound signature but D1100 are probably much better unEQd vs unEQd but XB500 also sounds very good after some EQing. Both are described as warm/forward, bassy headphones with smooth highs. Exactly how the bass of D1100 compares to XB500 I'd be interested in knowing myself, I love the bass of XB500. ^^

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #508 of 621
Nov 9, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #509 of 621

Quote:

I get the right amount of bass from the s4's, i get a good seal, they are awesome, but i need more bass. - does the m50 give me more bass? do closed or full hp's in general give more bass?

Contrary to popular belief the M50's don't have that much bass, infact they are pretty relaxed and a good bit more balanced then the Closed Back Converts suggest. I'd say something like Shure 750DJ's would have an equal or more bass with more punch( mid bass emphasis) then the S4's.

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #510 of 621
I doubt M50 would give you more bass, I was personally underhelmed by the bass quantity, those who think it's got a lot of bass just haven't heard a lot of closed headphones or other bassy headphones (or IEMs) before, the M50's bass is quite gently boosted for a closed headphone. The frequency response curves doesn't tell the exact story though, HD212 Pro for example that I've got is a lot bassier than M50, does it look so in the graph? In fact it's very close to that of XB500 and look how horribly different the curves look like =1153&graphID[1]=503&graphID[2]=183&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones]http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID[0]=1153&graphID[1]=503&graphID[2]=183&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones

And I thought the only thing that mattered was how high the low frequencies were compared to mids and highs but comparing the FR curves of the headphones I've got that just doesn't seem to fit well with the idea either. Trust the people's words from headphone comparisions rather than FR curves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back