Bass IMPACT!!!!!! Thats all I ever asked for in life :(
Oct 9, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #481 of 621
It was definitely the XB500's. I'm thinking that it was messed up somehow. The sounds that I heard just don't match up to the Headroom charts. I'm looking for a pair of bassy headphones for my roommate, so wondering how the K81DJ's are.

Quote:
Are you sure it was the 500s?  The XB700s, powered by a weak amp sounds more like you're describing.  The XB700s need a very strong amp to sound decent at more than modest volume, but from RPGWizard's reports the 500s should be easy to drive.

Of course you could be right and Best Buy's demo could have just been as F'ed up as most of the rest of the stuff they do.

Oct 9, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #482 of 621

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I had the opportunity to try the XB500's at Best Buy today, and I must say, there wasn't really any bass impact on them at all. I was a little dumbfounded. I tried the XB300's a few months ago at a Walmart and I remember them having more impact.

Bass was "there", but it was very atmospheric bass with no impact or pressure. Is this normal, or do you guys think something was wrong with it? I couldn't use my own player, as it was a BB demo setup.

If I had based my impressions of the XB500 on what i heard at Best Buy I wouldn't have them right now. Their demo station is HORRIBLE! The sample tracks aren't very good to begin with, and they must only have about 5mw going into them (if that). You can hear the depth (although it's very soft), but not the impact. They were also very tinny and bright, which is not how they sound out of even a cheap DAP. Nothing about them in the store sounds the same as it does at home.
As a standard practice on any of my headphones, rockbox gets a -3db on the treble (I'm very sensitive to brightness/sibilance). With the XB500's setup this way, they are anything but bright. They will bring out sibilance if it's in the recording though, but it's not terribly emphasized. If you shop at Best Buy you've probably used their no questions return policy before. Give them a try, you'll probably like them.

I can also verify these are extremely easy to drive. They get roughly twice as loud at the same volume as my next most sensitive phones. Into IEM sensitivity levels. The drivers in these also appear to be very good. Just look at the diameter of the voice coil through the outer cloth cover (the thin copper colored ring towards the center of the driver). It's about twice the diameter of most other 40mm drivers I've seen. These are designed to produce bass.

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #484 of 621
Ah, thanks for that info!

I was actually unaware BB had a policy like that.... I will give them a try!

I noticed that you have the K81DJ - how would you say they compare to the XB500 (mostly bass quality/quantity - I'm assuming they are tighter and not as comfortable)?

Quote:

If I had based my impressions of the XB500 on what i heard at Best Buy I wouldn't have them right now. Their demo station is HORRIBLE! The sample tracks aren't very good to begin with, and they must only have about 5mw going into them (if that). You can hear the depth (although it's very soft), but not the impact. They were also very tinny and bright, which is not how they sound out of even a cheap DAP. Nothing about them in the store sounds the same as it does at home.
As a standard practice on any of my headphones, rockbox gets a -3db on the treble (I'm very sensitive to brightness/sibilance). With the XB500's setup this way, they are anything but bright. They will bring out sibilance if it's in the recording though, but it's not terribly emphasized. If you shop at Best Buy you've probably used their no questions return policy before. Give them a try, you'll probably like them.

I can also verify these are extremely easy to drive. They get roughly twice as loud at the same volume as my next most sensitive phones. Into IEM sensitivity levels. The drivers in these also appear to be very good. Just look at the diameter of the voice coil through the outer cloth cover (the thin copper colored ring towards the center of the driver). It's about twice the diameter of most other 40mm drivers I've seen. These are designed to produce bass.

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #485 of 621
Well the K 518 DJ (aka K 81 DJ) are probably the most similar sounding headphones to XB500, XB500 may be tiny bit more aggressive sounding overall but they both are on the more aggressive and warm side. They both have very punchy bass but XB500 got more deeper bass as well while K 81 / 518 almost only focuses on mid-upper bass around 90Hz and above but in terms of punch & impact they both are about the same but XB500 is perhaps still a bit bassier due to bigger focus on deeper bass compared to K 81, especially in hardstyle songs you notice the difference and you hear the lack of proper deep bass production by K 81 DJ. Both have very dark/smooth sounding highs with little sibilance and mids are fairly close to each other too. However the K 518 DJs have a fairly narrow soundstage or it sounds typically "enclosed", XB500 is better at producing an "airy" sound. In terms of comfort well let's just say K 81 is like Satan and XB500 is like God. With the AKG I got intense earpain already after 30 mins of use due to the intense clamping with the small and not very soft pads, then I did overnight stretching over the box it came in for 3 nights (using the widest side to strech them, I think that was sth like 18cm) and they now sit quite gently on the ears and I can wear them for at least 2hrs without feeling any discomfort (haven't tried any longer). XB500 is like the most comfortable headphone I can imagine, the clamping force is just right and the pads are so extremely soft and XB500 only weights sth like 170 or 180g I think it was as opposed to 280g for XB700 making it IMO slightly more comfortable due to less weight. I like K 518 DJs for portable use though, they are extremely light (160g) and can fold somewhat and doesn't take up a lot of space and it's easily driven (not quite like XB500 but it's the 2nd easiest driven headphone I've tried) so doesn't require an amp and looks great IMO.

So to cam94z28, the XB500 SHOULD be at least as punchy in the bass like the K 81 DJs or something is wrong.

Oct 9, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #486 of 621
Ah! Found out the the K518 is much cheaper than the K81, and comes in colors! Picking up a pair of them now....

I heard that the XB500 doesn't isolate very well, and that's something that I'm looking for. I used to own a pair of M50's, but sold them awhile back. I miss them now, of course. Hoping the K518 is a somewhat cheaper and more portable version of them.

Quote:
Well the K 518 DJ (aka K 81 DJ) are probably the most similar sounding headphones to XB500, XB500 may be tiny bit more aggressive sounding overall but they both are on the more aggressive and warm side. They both have very punchy bass but XB500 got more deeper bass as well while K 81 / 518 almost only focuses on mid-upper bass around 90Hz and above but in terms of punch & impact they both are about the same but XB500 is perhaps still a bit bassier due to bigger focus on deeper bass compared to K 81, especially in hardstyle songs you notice the difference and you hear the lack of proper deep bass production by K 81 DJ. Both have very dark/smooth sounding highs with little sibilance and mids are fairly close to each other too. However the K 518 DJs have a fairly narrow soundstage or it sounds typically "enclosed", XB500 is a bit better at producing an "airy" sound. In terms of comfort well let's just say K 81 is like Satan and XB500 is like God. With the AKG I got intense earpain already after 30 mins of use due to the intense clamping with the small and not very soft pads, then I did overnight stretching over the box it came in for 3 nights (using the widest side to strech them, I think that was sth like 18cm) and they now sit quite gently on the ears and I can wear them for at least 2hrs without feeling any discomfort (haven't tried any longer). XB500 is like the most comfortable headphone I can imagine, the clamping force is just right and the pads are so extremely soft and XB500 only weights sth like 170 or 180g I think it was as opposed to 280g for XB700 making it IMO slightly more comfortable due to less weight. I like K 518 DJs for portable use though, they are extremely light (160g) and can fold somewhat and doesn't take up a lot of space and it's easily driven (not quite like XB500 but it's the 2nd easiest driven headphone I've tried) so doesn't require an amp and looks great IMO.

So to cam94z28, the XB500 SHOULD be at least as punchy in the bass like the K 81 DJs or something is wrong.

Oct 10, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #487 of 621

Quote:
Ah, thanks for that info!

I was actually unaware BB had a policy like that.... I will give them a try!

I noticed that you have the K81DJ - how would you say they compare to the XB500 (mostly bass quality/quantity - I'm assuming they are tighter and not as comfortable)?

I think this was directed towards me although rpgwizard replied first. I would have to agree about everything that was said with the exception of sibilance. The K81DJ's are VERY sibilant to my ears. They come with a easily removable/replaceable cloth insert inside the ear cup, wedged in under the cushion. With the inserts installed, the bass on these is horrible, bloated, boomy, unlistenable, but sibilance is nonexistent. With them removed, the bass improves immensely, but the treble goes downhill. IMO they're not only sibilant where the track is sibilant, but many other sounds that should not be sibilant are harsh in an extreme way. It's a shame, since I really like the mids and bass (post mod). I have lost the inserts anyway, so I can't revert them back.

For someone that prefers a really bright sound, they might be OK. I would happily sell mine if anyone is interested. I really don't listen to them any more with my XB500's, RX700's, HD555's, and Philips SHP895's to satisfy me for now.

Oct 10, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #488 of 621
You can fix the sibilance on the de-padded K81s by applying Blutak on the driver.

Oct 10, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #490 of 621

Quote:
You can fix the sibilance on the de-padded K81s by applying Blutak on the driver.

Applying blutak where exactly? Standard procedure on the inside back of the cups, or do you mean the rear plastic parts of the driver itself? Guess I missed this mod.

Oct 10, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #491 of 621

Quote:

I think this was directed towards me although rpgwizard replied first. I would have to agree about everything that was said with the exception of sibilance. The K81DJ's are VERY sibilant to my ears. They come with a easily removable/replaceable cloth insert inside the ear cup, wedged in under the cushion. With the inserts installed, the bass on these is horrible, bloated, boomy, unlistenable, but sibilance is nonexistent. With them removed, the bass improves immensely, but the treble goes downhill. IMO they're not only sibilant where the track is sibilant, but many other sounds that should not be sibilant are harsh in an extreme way. It's a shame, since I really like the mids and bass (post mod). I have lost the inserts anyway, so I can't revert them back.

For someone that prefers a really bright sound, they might be OK. I would happily sell mine if anyone is interested. I really don't listen to them any more with my XB500's, RX700's, HD555's, and Philips SHP895's to satisfy me for now.

Well I never removed the insert on them and then they have no sibilance whatsoever and I prefer the way they sound with them with dark/smooth highs which would change tremendously with the inserts removed, that I wouldn't doubt. I don't think the bass is boomy at all, I often wish it was more boomy as opposed to punchy when listening on the comp to hardstyle especially. But for me the K518 DJs aren't an alternative to XB500, the XB500 have the similar sound signature but sounds better in my ears (more natural, especially the mids that seem slightly less recessed and bass that is less "artificial" sounding and better deep bass capability) but the K518DJs work suprisingly well from my old philips CRT TV that have the best built-in sound I've heard in a TV and seems to work really great with headphones (could even easily pick out sound directions like I was listening with virtual 3D surround, I'd say with even better results than I had with the K518DJ from the comp and the bass is also more natural sounding) too so that's mostly where my K518DJ gets used these days as I don't wanna keep switching the XB500 around all the time.

Oct 10, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #492 of 621

Applying to the inside of the back of the cups tightens up the bass, applying to the backs of the driver itself helps with the treble. Apply it to the metal of the driver facing the back of the cups.

Quote:

Applying blutak where exactly? Standard procedure on the inside back of the cups, or do you mean the rear plastic parts of the driver itself? Guess I missed this mod.

Nov 7, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #493 of 621
Sorry I didn't go through the entire 33 page thread but did anyone mention the L3000s or the Edition 9s? bass and decent quality combined

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #494 of 621
I have the Xb500 and they are pretty bassy. The.only thing I do not like is this crackling that occurs from time to time. I just sagged a pair of Shure 750DJ which should be here this week. Will compare the two and hopefully end my quest...

Nov 7, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #495 of 621
Quote:
Sorry I didn't go through the entire 33 page thread but did anyone mention the L3000s or the Edition 9s? bass and decent quality combined

I don't think so, but I don't think many of us here have that kind of money.  I'd love to try either of those but I haven't had a chance.

I would really love a pair of 'phones with all the imaging and detail of my HD650s with the massive deep bass of my XB700s, but the only 'phones I've ever heard of that might come close are L3000 and ED9 which are both limited edition and out of production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back