Bass headphones recommendation please.
Oct 29, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #16 of 63
The DT1990 is a good headphone. The DT1770 I've only heard briefly. The 177x, no one really likes... I'm not sure what they did with that one.

If you end up getting a Beyer and liking the sound, then I'm also going to suggest Ultrasone. Dollar for dollar, these things are great value and the bass can be impactful or full. Different models have very different tuning--I have three. The 750i is like a DT1990. The 880 is more similar to a D7200. And the Edition Eleven is like a mix between a D9200 and something like a Hifiman Arya.

I've been down this bass road. Everything I own has enough bass to be enjoyable without overpowering the rest of the FR--anything lacking bass or highly deficient in another area, I've since sold.
well im about to order either the 1990s or 1770s. I'll use my iems for being active and these for really trying to listen to music and airport/flights. lastly any thoughts on the

Sony MDRZ1R ?​

Oct 29, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #17 of 63
well im about to order either the 1990s or 1770s. I'll use my iems for being active and these for really trying to listen to music and airport/flights. lastly any thoughts on the

Sony MDRZ1R ?​

I've not heard it. Some say it has great bass but I've seen a handful of people saying they want more bass, so I'm not sure what it's tuned like.

Sparkle and punchy bass, the DT1990 has it... I actually think it would be a great headphone for you. Treble 'can' get a little hot for some. Suggest you buy used in case you don't like it, as the resale on them is ~$350.

Oct 29, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #18 of 63
I'm surprised you didn't point him to the bass cans megathread. I can't find it at the moment.

Oct 29, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #19 of 63
Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #20 of 63
I just do a search for Taction Kannon when I can't find it...

And here it is: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club.716711/
I ended up ordering the 1770s. I figured with the open back design of the 1990, i'll be hearing way too much background noise on airplanes and in airports etc. i really prefer to get lost in my own world. Also I found them on amazon for $399. So if for some reason they don't fit the bill it's a very easy return.

Thanks so much for all the recommendations. I would have never thought of beyerdynamic as an option but after researching they seem exactly what I am looking for. also im a sucker for german made toys.

Oct 29, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #21 of 63
I ended up ordering the 1770s. I figured with the open back design of the 1990, i'll be hearing way too much background noise on airplanes and in airports etc. i really prefer to get lost in my own world. Also I found them on amazon for $399. So if for some reason they don't fit the bill it's a very easy return.

Thanks so much for all the recommendations. I would have never thought of beyerdynamic as an option but after researching they seem exactly what I am looking for. also im a sucker for german made toys.
Let us know which airport you'll be at... I'd like to see someone walking around with DT1770s.

Actually, I'd really love to see someone walking around with a 1266... run off an iPod Shuffle.

Enjoy and post back with how you like them.

Oct 29, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #23 of 63

I fly a fair amount and I use Shures since they seal well. I can't imagine bringing a full-sized pair of headphones on a plane, for several reasons...

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #24 of 63
I fly a fair amount and I use Shures since they seal well. I can't imagine bringing a full-sized pair of headphones on a plan, for several reasons...
Yeah, but he said Miami.

Oct 29, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #25 of 63
Oct 29, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #27 of 63
I will also recommend the Denon d7200. I bought it off of msing539 :)

Really need to change the earpads to get it to exhibit its true capability. Just ridiculous amounts of bass. Not just volume, the amount of slam just simply has no peer.

I have the sony z7m2 and the focal clear with sheepskin pads, both are modded. The z7m2 has alot of bass, perhaps more than the d7200s at certain frequencies but it doesn't hit as hard as the denons and nowhere near as fast. The clears dont have much lower frequency oomph but where its strongs its excellent and the bass hits with more weight behind the impact. But still not as fast or as aggressive or extends as well as the d7200s.

Oct 31, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #29 of 63
Got the 1770s today and tried em. soundstage is wider. but they dont sound near as good as my legend x's. and they definitely don't hit near as hard.

I'm just going to stick to my IEMs

Oct 31, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #30 of 63
Got the 1770s today and tried em. soundstage is wider. but they dont sound near as good as my legend x's. and they definitely don't hit near as hard.

I'm just going to stick to my IEMs
Give them time. Your brain needs to adjust.

What amp(s) do you have to drive them with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back