Bass headphones recommendation please.
Oct 29, 2022 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

lowtwo

100+ Head-Fier
Hi I've got some EE Legend X IEMS. Also had some EVOs and Mest in the past. The mest were way too weak for the rumble, the evos were pretty magical for mids/highs but I ended up getting custom LX's because of the bass.

Now I'd like some bigger headphones. It looks like the fostex th900 is the way to go but I wanted to ask here for a couple recommendations. Money isn't a real object but I'm aware of the law of diminishing returns.

Please suggest some bass cannon headphones that are also very musical and clear.

Thanks

Oct 29, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 63
By bass, are you looking for 'full' bass or 'punchy' bass? The TH900 is more punchy, like an Audeze LCD. I don't recommend the TH900 because it's not for everyone... by V-shaped, they mean it. The treble can be ear piercing, sibilant. It's one headphone that would take me 30 minutes to adjust to coming from anything else. I have the Pearl now and it's much more relaxed than the red one, but still not as good as the Denon D9200 imho. What people don't mention is that the TH900 needs bass boosted EQ to reach its potential. They're amazing because you can crank them and they don't distort, and overall sound improves with 610 pads.

Speaking of Audeze, the LCD-4 (and 3, and 2) have excellent bass but I only like them with some EQ. Closest thing I've heard to these from IEMs is the EE Odin. But more natural sounding (if you can bare the weight), is the Rosson RAD-0. These are like a better tuned LCD, almost like an Audeze + a ZMF. My pair weighs 650g with suspension mod, so not for everyone.

If you want 'full' bass, the E-mu Teak and TR-X00 Mahogany are fuller than the 900. Both of these have recessed mids, but the E-mu is better than the Mahogany in that respect. If you want even more bass, the Denon D7200... this is part of the same family. Treble rolls off, these are detailed but more relaxing than anything above. On a side by side, it clearly has more detail than the E-mu Teak, but it has almost a dark tonality to it, so the detail is not immediately perceived.

If you want the detail and speed and money is no object, the Hifiman HE-6 OG is reputed to have it, but I've not heard one... the HE6SE v2 can get up there but requires a source upgrade in most cases. Both of these do.

Oct 29, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 63
By bass, are you looking for 'full' bass or 'punchy' bass? The TH900 is more punchy, like an Audeze LCD. I don't recommend the TH900 because it's not for everyone... by V-shaped, they mean it. The treble can be ear piercing, sibilant. It's one headphone that would take me 30 minutes to adjust to coming from anything else. I have the Pearl now and it's much more relaxed than the red one, but still not as good as the Denon D9200 imho. What people don't mention is that the TH900 needs bass boosted EQ to reach its potential. They're amazing because you can crank them and they don't distort, and overall sound improves with 610 pads.

Speaking of Audeze, the LCD-4 (and 3, and 2) have excellent bass but I only like them with some EQ. Closest thing I've heard to these from IEMs is the EE Odin. But more natural sounding (if you can bare the weight), is the Rosson RAD-0. These are like a better tuned LCD, almost like an Audeze + a ZMF. My pair weighs 650g with suspension mod, so not for everyone.

If you want 'full' bass, the E-mu Teak and TR-X00 Mahogany are fuller than the 900. Both of these have recessed mids, but the E-mu is better than the Mahogany in that respect. If you want even more bass, the Denon D7200... this is part of the same family. Treble rolls off, these are detailed but more relaxing than anything above. On a side by side, it clearly has more detail than the E-mu Teak, but it has almost a dark tonality to it, so the detail is not immediately perceived.

If you want the detail and speed and money is no object, the Hifiman HE-6 OG is reputed to have it, but I've not heard one... the HE6SE v2 can get up there but requires a source upgrade in most cases. Both of these do.

Wow man thank you so much. Really. If I could describe the bass and sound atmosphere I like the best it'd be from this track
I always get so lost in that one that I just keep putting it on repeat. I'd like to call it dynamic

I wish I knew the terminology better to articulate what it is I'm going for. I always EQ to get what I desire and it starts with the bass high, the middle area low and the trebles back to high again. pretty much in a V shape. but more like an M with with really short sticks. I like slower bass instead of fast hitting I know that much. High treble always bothers me, if its hot I guess? I liked the sparkle the EVOs had. I really miss that. I'm hoping some cans can give me that magic.

I like the idea of boosting the EQ on th900. BTW im using a fiio m17 as my source

Also I really like the Audeze style. The fosteks dont look good as cool to me or I'd probably have bought them already. but if they're the best for what im looking for I'll do it.

thanks again so much for writing me

Oct 29, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 63
Never tried Denon cans, but I like the Fostex TH900mk2. You just need to use EQ to make them more balanced and then enjoy it for hours. They will still hit more than hard enough. The earpads of Denon are more narrow. That is similar to the Fostex TH610.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #6 of 63
Wow man thank you so much. Really. If I could describe the bass and sound atmosphere I like the best it'd be from this track
I always get so lost in that one that I just keep putting it on repeat. I'd like to call it dynamic

I wish I knew the terminology better to articulate what it is I'm going for. I always EQ to get what I desire and it starts with the bass high, the middle area low and the trebles back to high again. pretty much in a V shape. but more like an M with with really short sticks. I like slower bass instead of fast hitting I know that much. High treble always bothers me, if its hot I guess? I liked the sparkle the EVOs had. I really miss that. I'm hoping some cans can give me that magic.

I like the idea of boosting the EQ on th900. BTW im using a fiio m17 as my source

Also I really like the Audeze style. The fosteks dont look good as cool to me or I'd probably have bought them already. but if they're the best for what im looking for I'll do it.

thanks again so much for writing me

You're welcome man.

Treble on the TH900 is hot--if you don't mind getting other pads and EQing it, it's a decent headphone. Bass impact hits hard, soundstage is wide for a closed back with those recessed mids, plenty of detail but it's in your face--there's no ignoring it if you don't tweak the sound. People always hear the 900 has excellent bass, and it does, but you really have to know what you're getting into with it.

The entire Denon line is more enjoyable to me--when I bought the D7200, I sold my TH900mk2 the next day. And when I bought the 9200, I sold pretty much everything else. The D7200 is incredible, but I don't think it'll have the sparkle you want.

Curious question but have you ever heard a Beyer DT1990? I'm not recommending it per se, but I just want to know if you liked it. If not, any headphones you've owned that you can offer your thoughts on? It's a shot in the dark recommending stuff without a point of reference.

Oct 29, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 63
Treble on the TH900 is hot--if you don't mind getting other pads
No you don't need other pads. Other pads will only make it harder because you don't have measurements to work with. Stock pads of TH900 are very comfy. I would only try other pads if they aren't comfortable.

@lowtwo
You could also start with Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro X. They are pretty good for their price.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #8 of 63
No you don't need other pads. Other pads will only make it harder because you don't have measurements to work with. Stock pads of TH900 are very comfy.
Personal preference. 610 pads are my preference on the 900, then the Dekoni pads, then the stock pads.

Oct 29, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #9 of 63
Hi I've got some EE Legend X IEMS. Also had some EVOs and Mest in the past. The mest were way too weak for the rumble, the evos were pretty magical for mids/highs but I ended up getting custom LX's because of the bass.

Now I'd like some bigger headphones. It looks like the fostex th900 is the way to go but I wanted to ask here for a couple recommendations. Money isn't a real object but I'm aware of the law of diminishing returns.

Please suggest some bass cannon headphones that are also very musical and clear.

Thanks
Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Edition Mk II:
7D558170-E34E-4B6E-A55E-CC27CAAC4DC5.jpeg

Oct 29, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 63
Oct 29, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 63
By bass, are you looking for 'full' bass or 'punchy' bass? The TH900 is more punchy, like an Audeze LCD. I don't recommend the TH900 because it's not for everyone... by V-shaped, they mean it. The treble can be ear piercing, sibilant.

Treble on the TH900 is hot--if you don't mind getting other pads and EQing it, it's a decent headphone. Bass impact hits hard, soundstage is wide for a closed back with those recessed mids, plenty of detail but it's in your face--there's no ignoring it if you don't tweak the sound. People always hear the 900 has excellent bass, and it does, but you really have to know what you're getting into with it.

I have the SBs and I'm sensitive to treble, these are absolutely not harsh. I have no idea if I got lucky or if the SB tuning is that different from the reds, but these are a nice all-around headphone. But, I have to be careful not to listen to them and my LCD-3F or they start to sound muddy and kinda meh in comparison.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #12 of 63
You're welcome man.

The entire Denon line is more enjoyable to me--when I bought the D7200, I sold my TH900mk2 the next day. And when I bought the 9200, I sold pretty much everything else. The D7200 is incredible, but I don't think it'll have the sparkle you want.

Curious question but have you ever heard a Beyer DT1990? I'm not recommending it per se, but I just want to know if you liked it. If not, any headphones you've owned that you can offer your thoughts on? It's a shot in the dark recommending stuff without a point of reference.
sorry I haven't gotten any real headphones yet. Just jumped into iems

that beyer is honestly. my favorite of all the suggestions so far but I just saw the 1770 and it sounds like that's more up my alley as far as the sub bass goes. I almost just ordered the 1990 but im reading more and more. Checking out kennerton now as well

Oct 29, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 63

that beyer is honestly. my favorite of all the suggestions so far but I just saw the 1770 and it sounds like that's more up my alley as far as the sub bass goes. I almost just ordered the 1990 but im reading more and more. Checking out kennerton now as well

I have the DT 1770s and they're a very nice set of closed cans with good isolation. They're heavy and solid though, not for travel or moving around.

Oct 29, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #14 of 63
I have the SBs and I'm sensitive to treble, these are absolutely not harsh. I have no idea if I got lucky or if the SB tuning is that different from the reds, but these are a nice all-around headphone. But, I have to be careful not to listen to them and my LCD-3F or they start to sound muddy in meh in comparison.
Oh no, the TH900 red is sibilant--I have the pearl now and agree with you.

Oct 29, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #15 of 63

The DT1990 is a good headphone. The DT1770 I've only heard briefly. The 177x, no one really likes... I'm not sure what they did with that one.

If you end up getting a Beyer and liking the sound, then I'm also going to suggest Ultrasone. Dollar for dollar, these things are great value and the bass can be impactful or full. Different models have very different tuning--I have three. The 750i is like a DT1990. The 880 is more similar to a D7200. And the Edition Eleven is like a mix between a D9200 and something like a Hifiman Arya.

I've been down this bass road. Everything I own has enough bass to be enjoyable without overpowering the rest of the FR--anything lacking bass or highly deficient in another area, I've since sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back