Basic Portable Amp
Dec 14, 2007 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kjpmkjp

500+ Head-Fier
It's about as simple as the title states.

I'm trying to look for a basic (sub $120 USD, if I can get away with it) portable amp. I've looked into a few companies and some reviews here and I've considered the Z-Audio Mu, the Mini-Box D, Visely HEA-1 (if I can get a hold of it), and possibly the Headroom Total Airhead. Now, the hard part would be that I know little of, well, anything regarding amps, so I'm a bit in the dark here. I'd be using them with a iPod, and with AKG K301 Xtra's, or either the HD 595s or DT 770's (880's if any of these amps would work well enough with them). I plan on purchasing one of the two latter headphones, alongside with an Amp. The one thing that confuses me, is how you would go about charging the battery in the Mu. I see no input for a DC plug. That is the one I'm considering the most, since it seems the most logical option, as I keep reading bad things about the Airhead.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated, and I honestly apologize if I put this in the wrong section, or if there are stickies/other threads I'm not seeing that I should read.

Thanks.

-Ken

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 8
With a budget of $120 I would look for an used amp like the MiniBox-E. If you want it new the Mini^3 is an excellent sounding amp.

The Airhead is not bad, however you can do better w/ the MiniBox-E or the Mini^3.

Dec 15, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjpmkjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah. I think I'd be safe and go for the second option and get a pre-built amp. I wouldn't trust myself with making one. Ill definitely look into this.

Thank you!

LOL! Me too. I'd like to suggest an amp I am currently writing a review on. It is the Little Dot MK1. It is the newest portable amp from Little-tube and replaces an older model called the LDM+. To cut this short, I'll just say that it is an excellent portable amp that drives my Sennheiser HD-650 headphones with ease. It has great specs, a great Opamp and great battery life between charges. Here is the info and pics: Viewing a thread - Little Dot MK I

DavidZ from Little-Tube sells them on ebay, like here: Little Dot MK I Portable Headphone Amp Amplifier - (eBay item 190183111049 end time Dec-19-07 04:56:07 PST)

I hope to have the review posted within another week, if time permits. I can safely say this amp raises the bar on portable amps.
biggrin.gif

I hope this can help you in some way. Happy Hunting!

Dec 15, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been thinking & saying that it would be really good....

Plus it's fine looking and seems pretty solidly built, unlike the Minibox-E that seems a little flimsy in comparison.

Someone tell Skylab to buy it
tongue.gif

No thanks. I decided (after reading the 5 gillion comparison portable amp reviews floating around) that I would buy one myself and evaluate it on it's own merits. Well, on the second day of reviewing, I bought another for my wife as a Christmas present. That pretty much says how the review is going!
biggrin.gif

Shopper, PM me if you want more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back