Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
May 8, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #2,326 of 2,875
Does a different cable really affect the sound quality of these? Seems like that would be a bit strange and I don't mind the stock cable but reading this from some posters makes me a bit curious...

Personally, I only replace cables if I want a different length or if I don't like the feel, the comfort of the stock cable.

May 8, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #2,327 of 2,875
Personally, I only replace cables if I want a different length or if I don't like the feel, the comfort of the stock cable.
I don't mind the stock cable at all really, and it's nice having a remote. I can understand some may find it a bit "cheap" for a rather pricy product as its kinda like an Apple earphone type cable but that doesn't bother me. No idea how long it lasts though. I went through so many pairs of EarPods largely because the cable deteriorated in the span of 6 - 9 months. Thank god for detachable cables.

May 8, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #2,328 of 2,875
I don't mind the stock cable at all really, and it's nice having a remote. I can understand some may find it a bit "cheap" for a rather pricy product as its kinda like an Apple earphone type cable but that doesn't bother me. No idea how long it lasts though. I went through so many pairs of EarPods largely because the cable deteriorated in the span of 6 - 9 months. Thank god for detachable cables.

I use the stock cable.

May 8, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #2,329 of 2,875
I like the stock cable. I commute with these in Seattle and wear them in my cubicle. I like being able to do a quick pause etc. Still freaking love these things. I use them every day communting to and at work. The sound keeps getting better.

May 9, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #2,330 of 2,875
Replacing cable with better one makes sense only when your source is good enough.
I've replaced my stock with braided 5N or 6N pure copper and there is more air and transparency, bass is tighter. But it is noticeable mostly with Mojo, SMSL VA2 or X7S - when driven straight from the phone sq differences caused by the cable are really small. But it still looks way better :)

I've already posted this picture somewhere in this thread, but here goes anyway. My two aftermarket H6 cables - both are better than stock (soundwise) but braided, transparent one wins the day:

9636564.jpg

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #2,331 of 2,875
So I'm looking into replacing my Fulla 2 for my work setup and the Aune X1S caught my eye. However, the output impedance is 10ohms; has anyone used the Aune (or any amp with a similar O.I.) with their H6? Just curious :)

May 10, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #2,333 of 2,875
Replacing cable with better one makes sense only when your source is good enough.
I've replaced my stock with braided 5N or 6N pure copper and there is more air and transparency, bass is tighter. But it is noticeable mostly with Mojo, SMSL VA2 or X7S - when driven straight from the phone sq differences caused by the cable are really small. But it still looks way better :)

I've already posted this picture somewhere in this thread, but here goes anyway. My two aftermarket H6 cables - both are better than stock (soundwise) but braided one wins the day:

9636564.jpg

What aftermarket cables are you using, and where did you get them ? I bought a new Fantasia from amazon, I think it was subtly better than the stock cable. I’ve recently bought an ibasso DX200 and my H6’s have about 200 hours burn in, this combo makes the H6’s shine. Deep bass, lovely trebles, even the “hollowness” in the mid range is gone. I’m very impressed. My favourite iems are still the Dunu DN-2000J but for enjoyment and comfort for everyday use the H6’s with the DX200 is (for me) hard to beat.

May 11, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #2,335 of 2,875
What aftermarket cables are you using, and where did you get them ? I bought a new Fantasia from amazon, I think it was subtly better than the stock cable. I’ve recently bought an ibasso DX200 and my H6’s have about 200 hours burn in, this combo makes the H6’s shine. Deep bass, lovely trebles, even the “hollowness” in the mid range is gone. I’m very impressed. My favourite iems are still the Dunu DN-2000J but for enjoyment and comfort for everyday use the H6’s with the DX200 is (for me) hard to beat.

One of them came from Ebay, but is also available on Amazon and Ali (black one). This one was actually recommended by a few guys here, earlier in the thread. I dont have a link handy - sorry.
The second one was my test buy from here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pur...D-VISO-HP50-Focal-Spirit-One/32701060953.html
and it actually turned a lot better than stock and first one, it also looks very nice.

May 12, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #2,336 of 2,875
One of them came from Ebay, but is also available on Amazon and Ali (black one). This one was actually recommended by a few guys here, earlier in the thread. I dont have a link handy - sorry.
The second one was my test buy from here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pur...D-VISO-HP50-Focal-Spirit-One/32701060953.html
and it actually turned a lot better than stock and first one, it also looks very nice.

I ordered one... thanks for the info... I did find another seller with a cheaper price... same item.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pur...f3daf27&transAbTest=ae803_2&priceBeautifyAB=0

May 12, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #2,338 of 2,875
Does this cable honestly sound better than the stock? Are there any cables that are black that are better than the stock?

Personally I nver hear a difference among cables. I just ordered that copper one because I like the way it looks.

Others will try to prove me wrong.

May 12, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #2,339 of 2,875
Does this cable honestly sound better than the stock? Are there any cables that are black that are better than the stock?

<Insert random sarcasm about lying to strangers on the internet forums :wink: >

As I've said, it all depends on the quality of the source. H6 are good enough to be able to scale up with better amping and cables.
With cheaper headphones it really doesn't matter, but when you'll reach certain level of driver quality (good enough not to be a bottleneck, at least to certain level) changing cable can be both a good or bad thing. Of course, when properly amped - phone output doesn't count as proper amping. And that includes iPhones as well.

Differences from different cables usually are not night and day changes (unless you'll manage to get really, really bad cable, that is) but may be considered final touches. For that reason I prefer usually to make my own cables, because for me this makes sense only when cable upgrade price is within some small margin. Otherwise it is better to just invest in better headphones or amp.
My exception from this rule is buying something on Ali as it is often cheaper than buying connectors and cable separately. But one needs to be cautious, because sometimes cheap means "worse than stock" in terms of SQ.

Another long one... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back