Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
May 16, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #2,356 of 2,875
The lower mids is solvable problem. Just get the alternate cable https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-...d=1526459072&sr=1-4&keywords=beoplay+h6+cable. It brings more body to mids and lower mids, tames the treble a bit. Basically it brings body to everything trading a tiny tiny bit of speed. But still it will be faster than DT 770. With that cable I compared it to the meze 99 and momentum 2, and I felt I am not loosing anything to them. Infact, the be I play h6 is a true hidden gem IMO, after hearing most portables under 600 bucks. All other alternatives are oddly big or oddly shaped. The only headphone I liked like this was the night owl. But again, h6 is hard to beat when styling also matters for outdoors.

I have that cable. It doesnt change the sound in any way. Its just another replacement cable. It's good quality though.

May 16, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #2,358 of 2,875
If you dont have personal feelings about your pair, u can sell them and add tuis 75 to get a new pair:wink:[/QUOTE
I have that cable. It doesnt change the sound in any way. Its just another replacement cable. It's good quality though.
I can blindly say, which one is which. Its not even a close call to my ears. I like both the cables. The orginal is faster, but thin bodied 'realtively' narrow with soundstage. The one I posted, is more full bodied, slower(loose sounding?), slightly rolled off on top. Since H6 has 2 jacks on either side, a comparison is not tough. you can connect it to both the sides and just swap at the players jack. This way, you wont change the postition of the headphone on the head, so that positioning of headphone will stay the same on comparison. Only thing is its got microphonics. I got it from ebay Germany. I looked for a similar picture and posted it here as most of you are in US. I guess its all coming from the same place -China. Mine was shipped from UK, I dont know if there is an orginal version and fake for the same. That is possible. The ebay store from where I got that does not sell it anymore. I tried it on my iPhone 5/5s, Galaxy s8, previously on xduoo x3, x10 FiiO x5 ii, JDS C5D, O2 and AK70. In all cases, my observation was same.

May 16, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #2,359 of 2,875
That cable really makes a difference in sound quality, even un-amped? I find it strange a cable would have that ability. What does it do on a technical level that improves the sound?Also would that cable fit the 2nd gen model?
Actually if you go back to this thread some 50 pages, you can see me asking the same thing. I really thought most of it were snake oil. But, after listening to lot of cables both on hifi and portables I cannot deny the differences though I really cannot prove it to anyone like all other cable believers.

May 16, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #2,360 of 2,875
Actually if you go back to this thread some 50 pages, you can see me asking the same thing. I really thought most of it were snake oil. But, after listening to lot of cables both on hifi and portables I cannot deny the differences though I really cannot prove it to anyone like all other cable believers.
Well...it does seem to be a mixed opinion. I suppose since the cable is only $12 it might be worth trying and I have an extra cable in the end.

May 16, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #2,361 of 2,875
Actually if you go back to this thread some 50 pages, you can see me asking the same thing. I really thought most of it were snake oil. But, after listening to lot of cables both on hifi and portables I cannot deny the differences though I really cannot prove it to anyone like all other cable believers. From what I hear, I think there must be a difference in the lower mids on measurement too.
Well...it does seem to be a mixed opinion. I suppose since the cable is only $12 it might be worth trying and I have an extra cable in the end.

I really did not like it initially. My idea was to get a different thicker cable which would be a back up for the original, as many commented that the original doesn't seem durable. I asked the dealer in 2016, and the price of cable was around 60 €. So I went out for alternatives. The one on eBay was about to get sold out and was 9.99€ with 30 day return. So I thought of giving it a try. I really did not want a change in sound as I really was satisfied with the original. On the first listen of hated it as my headphone sounded different(I immediately posted here that I didn't like it as it changed the signayure) after listening it for few weeks, I liked it over the stock due to the more full bodied nature against the thin sounding one. I had the objective o2 connected to a hifimediy 9018 DAC and a xduoo x3 DAP then. Again with a film e12 I felt the Same nature. The dynamic speed of h6 goes away a bit with the cable, there is no loss of detail and more full bodied. Again, it's personal to choose which trade off you like. I use the stock with a cellphone since it had slight air to the top, driving from a weaker source, and so I can retain the buttons. I think since Amazon has returns, it's worth a try, but spend time with it before jumping to conclusions. A new sound is always bad if you already at a comfy place with the stock.

May 17, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #2,362 of 2,875
That cable really makes a difference in sound quality, even un-amped? I find it strange a cable would have that ability. What does it do on a technical level that improves the sound?Also would that cable fit the 2nd gen model?

Different cables have different R/L/C vaules and thus different impedance in frequency function. Same goes for speaker cables, interconnects etc. In theory, that difference should not be noticeable (as in: will my bulb shine better with better cable? will my vacuum work better with 150$ power cord?).

In reality, with good source, human ears are so sensitive that most people can hear the differences in tonality caused by different cables. Whenever they like the changes, depends on individual preferences.

Last evening I was reading HE90 Stereophile review by Thomas J. Norton. He decribes that he had changed one of the interconnects used for review and I think this sentence is good summary for cable changes:
"Objectively, the change was fairly subtle, but subjectively, the top end was improved just enough to restore my confidence in the Orpheus".

That's my point exactly. The differences are there: they are not night and day changes (usually, unless you will stumble upon a really, really good or bad cable) but subjectively they may give that final touch that makes you love you headphones (speakers) even more.

(sorry for my bad english, its raining here now and I feel like a sleepy zombie)

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #2,363 of 2,875
Different cables have different R/L/C vaules and thus different impedance in frequency function. Same goes for speaker cables, interconnects etc. In theory, that difference should not be noticeable (as in: will my bulb shine better with better cable? will my vacuum work better with 150$ power cord?).

In reality, with good source, human ears are so sensitive that most people can hear the differences in tonality caused by different cables. Whenever they like the changes, depends on individual preferences.

Last evening I was reading HE90 Stereophile review by Thomas J. Norton. He decribes that he had changed one of the interconnects used for review and I think this sentence is good summary for cable changes:
"Objectively, the change was fairly subtle, but subjectively, the top end was improved just enough to restore my confidence in the Orpheus".

That's my point exactly. The differences are there: they are not night and day changes (usually, unless you will stumble upon a really, really good or bad cable) but subjectively they may give that final touch that makes you love you headphones (speakers) even more.

(sorry for my bad english, its raining here now and I feel like a sleepy zombie)

Some 3 years back this was an ignorable difference. I think the more you get seasoned in listening, subtle things starts to turn large. This is one of the reasons why hi end market exists. There are products which makes a very little difference for a very large amount of money. The problem is once you heard it, it's difficult to unhear it and the thought keeps bugging you that your device is not running on full potential. There 100€ cables which fits for h6. I really won't try demoing them. In my general opinion, silver cables are thin sounding, fast. Copper adds more body, but relatively slower. For a person with hi freq hearing loss, this may sound rolled off at top. For a person with no hearing loss this may sound smooth at top.

May 17, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #2,364 of 2,875
Would most of you folks consider these "flat"-like or "neutral"-like headphones? I know the Gen 1 is considered pretty dead flat. Would Gen 2 be pretty close to the mark, even with a slight bass emphasis? My previous headphones were more v-shaped so I'm just curious if I'm listening to what would be described as a neutral(ish) or flat(ish) since I'm not sure how that's supposed to sound (and I say "ish" because I know not many headphones, if any at all, are perfectly flat.) I've heard some people call these artificial sounding. They sound great.

May 28, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #2,365 of 2,875
I think the "artificial-sounding" bit may be due in part to sources. I had been driving mine from a Fulla 2 for the past few months and switched to an Aune T1 mk3 (gold lion tube)...holy DAMN it's a different headphone. If any of you guys are looking for an amp/dac combo, I can't recommend this pairing enough. I had noticed with the fulla that I was complaining to myself that music very occasionally sounded artificial, but not since the switch.

Jun 26, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #2,366 of 2,875
And the Sony mdr-1am2 is out, I listened it and the price/performance ratio is ideal for me. I'm also in love with the shape of the h6 2nd but, being a human voice lover which one would you suggest me? I don't have the occasion to listen the b&o but it's since 2016 that i wanted

Jun 26, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #2,367 of 2,875
And the Sony mdr-1am2 is out, I listened it and the price/performance ratio is ideal for me. I'm also in love with the shape of the h6 2nd but, being a human voice lover which one would you suggest me? I don't have the occasion to listen the b&o but it's since 2016 that i wanted

What shape are you referring to... if its the build then they are the same.
I havnt heard the 2nd, but compared to the 1st the sony's are warmer. So it depends more on if you want cleaner mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back