Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
May 5, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #2,311 of 2,875
I was listening to a store demo and was sold a new model.

Ok that helps to know that. Something could be wrong with yours ... it should not sound THAT different from the demo you listened to. Even if burn-in is a factor, it likely won't change something from disappointing to great.

May 5, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #2,312 of 2,875
Ok that helps to know that. Something could be wrong with yours ... it should not sound THAT different from the demo you listened to. Even if burn-in is a factor, it likely won't change something from disappointing to great.
Okay. Good thing is I have free time tomorrow. I will go back and bring the phones with me, and compare them to the in store model and explain to the sales rep that the in store model sounded much better than the pair I brought home. If I compare them and they sound the same then I guess that means they just didn't sound as good as I remembered.

May 5, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #2,313 of 2,875
Okay. Good thing is I have free time tomorrow. I will go back and bring the phones with me, and compare them to the in store model and explain to the sales rep that the in store model sounded much better than the pair I brought home. If I compare them and they sound the same then I guess that means they just didn't sound as good as I remembered.

It certainly is not normal for them to sound like you described... even out of the box. I loved mine the minute I listened to them I don;t get them out enough these days... that is what happens if headfi gets you addicted to trying new things. When I do listen to them I am never disappointed,. The only problem I have is that the edge of the headband bothers me after awhile. Maybe I need to position it a little differently.

They are certainly not bass light.

May 5, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #2,314 of 2,875
It certainly is not normal for them to sound like you described... even out of the box. I loved mine the minute I listened to them I don;t get them out enough these days... that is what happens if headfi gets you addicted to trying new things. When I do listen to them I am never disappointed,. The only problem I have is that the edge of the headband bothers me after awhile. Maybe I need to position it a little differently.

They are certainly not bass light.
Thanks for your info. I will take them back to the store tomorrow and see. I do concur, that if my reaction wasn’t the same then something is probably up. All I remember in the store was being blown away. If I wasn’t, I wouldn’t have bought them so impulsively. At home, literally thought “What?”

May 6, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #2,315 of 2,875
Hey guys,

I think burn in helped some. They sound a little warmer in bass and the mids sound less "processed".

I'm going to spend the next week, maybe two, comparing these to the 770 Pro 32 Ohm I got recently. My initial impressions are as follows.

I like both of these headphones a great deal. Obviously they are different sound signatures. Beyerdynamic is v-shaped, H6 is supposed to be more flat.

I prefer the tonality of the bass of the 770. It goes deeper and it sounds fuller overall, less muddy and more dynamic. The H6 has good bass, but the quality of it is slightly less and their extension has less impact.

Both headphones are weak in lower mids, which gives them both a character that sounds like they lack body. I think the stronger bass gives the 770's help in this region, giving it more of a fullness. However, the 770's are also lacking in the true mids and upper mids compared to the H6. The H6 fills this out but in the opposite direction. The more forward true mids to upper mids fills out the lacking lower bass in this area.

While the mids are stronger on the H6, they sound a little too forward and shouty and there seems to be an emphasis in the lower treble that can make them a bit harsh and hollow but nothing too bad.

HOWEVER, what bothered me about the 770 and drove me to check out another headphone, was it's emphasis in the upper treble. Now overall its not terrible, but it's annoying, especially the sibilance. If you listen to a track with a lot of it, it takes over the mids. So you hear vocals at a decent level but then a sharp s sound will envelop it. I don't get fatigue from it but I have yet to be able to just ignore it, even when I try to. The H6 isn't as crisp/clean in its treble, nor as detailed, snares don't quite have the same snap, but it's still very good and doesn't have this sibilance problem which is HUGE for me. You can tell its detailed but not overly so because you can still hear sibilance but it isn't as sharp. The treble emphasis on the 770 also made higher vocals sound unnatural and bright.

Even though the 770's are v-shaped I find them to sound balanced, leaning towards bright. It has a drier tone compared to the H6. It sounds a little fuller. But the mids are a little more empty. They are more detailed across the spectrum. They sound better to me than the H6 on good masterings/recordings but worse on poor masterings/recordings.

I dunno, at the moment I feel like the 770’s sound bigger and more dynamic, the H6’s sound a little weak...

It sounds like I slightly prefer the 770 in most aspects but the treble was a deal breaker. The H6, even though it's more forward in the lower treble, isn't as grating.

Another big plus is the H6 being more portable. Comfort obviously wins for the 770 but the H6 actually aren't uncomfortable, not as much as I thought they would be. They feel lighter.

I will continue comparing these two for the next week or two. Another headphone I tried today was the K553 and wasn't impressed. Actually, it sounded like it had a TON of mid bass. Weird, as that's not what I read in descriptions of it.

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #2,316 of 2,875
@bcaulf17

I wonder if you would like the 1More H1707 - triple driver over ear

For me they have pretty much replaced the H6. I do still like the H6 but the 1More is more comfortable for me and I love the sound. I can listen with them for hours and hours with no listener fatigue. I probably listen at lower volume than most.

I can't tell you in detail how they compare. I find that going back and forth as you have been doing ends up ruining my enjoyment of the music. You might want to take a couple of days now and just listen to the B6 only. Relax and just enjoy your favorite albums and see what happens,

Are you open to upgrading your sources? Adding a small portable amp to the phone and/or Macbook? I do all of my listening with either a good DAP, a PC desktop system, or my tube amp (that is only with my high impedance headphones). Sources make a huge difference. I have not actually tried any of my gear with a phone so my experience with any headphone will be different from yours.

The 1More... mine is this gold(actually more of a nice copper) European Version. The newly released USA version is a titanium color.

2017-1MORE-H1707-Triple-Driver-Over-Ear-Headphones-with-Microphone-Mp3-Bass-Hifi-Headband-Headphones-for.jpg

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #2,318 of 2,875
Are you sure? It can be surprisingly easy to insert the cable only part way and have it feel like it's fully seated.
I should point out that I think a little burn in was all that was needed, as these sound to me like they have opened up more. About the cable, yeah I'm pushing as hard as I can and they should be in all the way. Pushing extensively it doesn't go any further. Am I supposed to twist them in a certain way? I'm still not sure if the bass is the same amount as I heard at the store but it sounds better now than it did yesterday.

May 6, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #2,319 of 2,875
Would like to try B & O H6 Gen 2 and/or 1More triple driver over-ear as pairs of affordable headphones, however not everyone was born with tiny ears. Expect this oversight on so called "lifestyle" headphones, but for headphones with sound good enough to compete for headphone enthusiasts /headphone audiophiles attention, expect pads that fit a wider range of users. Many headphone manufacturers are failing in this area.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 7, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #2,320 of 2,875
Today was the first day I got to use these at work. Burn in really must've helped these because I no longer have the panicked feeling I had when I brought them home and disliked their sound...now they sound just GORGEOUS. Everything I listened to sounded great. I love these. The bass has really come alive and is there in a nice quantity and great quality. The vocals/mids are less hollow sounding and are now more realistic, though I do realize they still have a bit of a hollow timbre (this is due to a supposed dip in the low mids, which tends to be the most criticized part of their sound signature, but it's not terrible by any means and does away with itself the longer you listen. Does take some of the depth out of lower vocals, though). The treble is clean, clear and shines without any peaks. I feel so relieved I don't have to deal with harshness or sibilance anymore. The dynamics have improved as well, they don't sound as weak to me anymore. Even listening to something heavy and dense, I think these lil' things won't be able to handle it but they surprise me each time. I'm also learning through these that I prefer a flat signature to a v-shaped one. That way, every part of the frequency does its part equally, and it produces a more accurate sound, but I like how they tuned these slightly with a little bass bump to keep these from sounding boring, and they are nicely detailed too! I was engaged all day long, enjoying the music and picking up some nice details. I think they're a perfect cross between consumer sound and audiophile sound.

My ONE moderate complaint, is that I realize they aren't SUPER comfortable. The soft, plush leather feels great but the small cups do give your ears a claustrophobic feeling. Worst of all, for me, after a while the top of my left ear becomes a little uncomfortable, and when I took them off it actually hurt a bit, for about 20 minutes! I think this area is sensitive as I had a similar issue with the M50x's. Hopefully this is just a temporary thing, but I feel its something I can deal with because I love everything else about these.

I can't wait to listen to all my music with these. I'm glad I decided to walk into that store and try them. I'm also very thankful for the sales person to sell them to me for $250, as I probably wouldn't have bought them at $300...

May 7, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #2,321 of 2,875
My ONE moderate complaint, is that I realize they aren't SUPER comfortable. The soft, plush leather feels great but the small cups do give your ears a claustrophobic feeling. Worst of all, for me, after a while the top of my left ear becomes a little uncomfortable, and when I took them off it actually hurt a bit, for about 20 minutes! I think this area is sensitive as I had a similar issue with the M50x's. Hopefully this is just a temporary thing, but I feel its something I can deal with because I love everything else about these.

You can try experimenting with how you arrange them on your head. I find tucking the top of my ear inside the earpad and letting the bottom of the pad rest on the lower part of my ear is more comfortable than centering them so that the pad is pressing on both the top and bottom of my ear.

May 7, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #2,322 of 2,875
You can try experimenting with how you arrange them on your head. I find tucking the top of my ear inside the earpad and letting the bottom of the pad rest on the lower part of my ear is more comfortable than centering them so that the pad is pressing on both the top and bottom of my ear.
Yeah, I was figuring some experimentation with the fit might help. I was actually doing some of this today but wasn't able to notice which felt best to me. Will having the bottom of the pad against the earlobe affect the seal and impact the sound?

One other great thing I gotta point out is that these isolate very well. When they're over my ears conversation around me starts sounding muffled and I can't hear anything when the music is at a decent level...

May 7, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #2,323 of 2,875
Yeah, I was figuring some experimentation with the fit might help. I was actually doing some of this today but wasn't able to notice which felt best to me. Will having the bottom of the pad against the earlobe affect the seal and impact the sound?

One other great thing I gotta point out is that these isolate very well. When they're over my ears conversation around me starts sounding muffled and I can't hear anything when the music is at a decent level...

It might impact seal, depending on your ears.

May 8, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #2,325 of 2,875
Does a different cable really affect the sound quality of these? Seems like that would be a bit strange and I don't mind the stock cable but reading this from some posters makes me a bit curious...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back