Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Aug 7, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #1,231 of 2,875
So, two things. One, has anyone compared the H6 to the meze classics 99?

Two:
Tl;dr I think first gen H6es sound better with a 700Hz q=0.7 -5dB high shelf filter

I've had my H6es (first gen) for about 9 months now. Seems like something about the frequency response makes these headphones curiously airy, but there was treble colouration that made vocals sound a little goofy (overbright). After messing around with a parametric EQ for months, I think I've figured out what's up. Rather than a 5dB recession centred around ~320Hz and weak bass, H6es have a rise from 320Hz to 1kHz that seems to be both adding colour and masking the (IMO pretty nice and definitely loud enough) bass.

I listened to some music on my rockboxed Sansa clip zip with a -5dB high shelf filter with Q=0.7 and cutoff 700Hz (preliminary guess; haven't decided if the cutoff needs tweaking yet) so that the flat part of the filter response begins at 1kHz. I sort of eyeballed the cutoff by graphing biquad filters in octave (Matlab alternative).

Much nicer, I think! Once I'm certain that the cutoff is in the right place, I'll start trying to incorporate the other tweaks I've tried (subtly smoothing peaks above 5kHz to lessen auditory fatigue; dealing with the wiggle around 160Hz that makes barbershop quartet a little disappointing to listen to). It's tricky to do that without destroying the soundstage and air that makes the H6es what they are though. I'd be happy to share those changes once (if?) I figure it out!

I'll be getting my hands on the Meze 99 by the end of next week and I'll have comparisons up with the H6 gen 2. I'm going to be keeping one and selling the other.

Aug 7, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #1,232 of 2,875
  In terms of pure sound, how does the H6 compare to another can? Is it HD600/X2 level or is it a step below? HD598 level? Not sure whether I should keep mine or sell it.

I have the H6 (v2), the HD600 and the HD598. The 598 sounds cheap and hollow next to the other two. The HD600 is a near-perfect reference headphone, but it's not suitable for portable use. The H6 has a more "V-shaped" sound profile, with awesome bass extension (though not boomy) and wonderful, shimmery highs. I love both, but they are different. I intend to sell the HD598. 

Aug 8, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #1,235 of 2,875
Hmmm, I don't think the H6s 'destroy' the M2s. They are just different, for me they work well with other music than the H6s. Thinner, brighter recordings sound great with the M2s and also alternative rock is excellent. The H6s however are unmatched with classical music. 
Still, both are good all-rounders in their own way. The H6s have the resolution, instument seperation and soundstage to give real insight, this paired with a natural tonality and unforced dynamics make them very musical with classical music and live recordings. To me they can be a bit too observant with (heavily produced) pop and rock, but don't sound wrong with those genres in any way.
The M2s have the intimacy, warmth and liveliness that works well with pop and rock, but still poses enough resolution and clarity to play classical music nicely.
Obviously I like both, but overall I think the H6s are the better headphones.

Aug 8, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #1,236 of 2,875
  Hmmm, I don't think the H6s 'destroy' the M2s. They are just different, for me they work well with other music than the H6s. Thinner, brighter recordings sound great with the M2s and also alternative rock is excellent. The H6s however are unmatched with classical music. 
Still, both are good all-rounders in their own way. The H6s have the resolution, instument seperation and soundstage to give real insight, this paired with a natural tonality and unforced dynamics make them very musical with classical music and live recordings. To me they can be a bit too observant with (heavily produced) pop and rock, but don't sound wrong with those genres in any way.
The M2s have the intimacy, warmth and liveliness that works well with pop and rock, but still poses enough resolution and clarity to play classical music nicely.
Obviously I like both, but overall I think the H6s are the better headphones.

To each his own, as always :) I can't stand either the original M or the M2. One man's "intimacy and warmth" is another man's "blech!"

basshead.gif

Aug 8, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #1,237 of 2,875
Haha, true! 
beyersmile.png

Aug 9, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #1,240 of 2,875
  How is the H6 with female vocals? Currently I own a HD 598, and it does quite well with female vocals, e.g. Lisa Gerrard. Can someone comment on how female vocals sound on the H6? Thanks.

Female vocals is where the H6 shines.  It's the male vocals that might be a touch thin sounding, but if you're listening to mainly females, it's really really hard to go wrong w/ them.

Aug 9, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #1,241 of 2,875
Quote:
Is the consensus that the h6v2 is of the same tier as hd600s?

The consensus? Most definitely not. I never heard the HD600s, but for many on this forum the HD600s (like the HD650s) are their favorite if not their best pair of headphones. Even technically superior, more expensive headphones cannot beat their unique sound, that is according to HD600's advocates. I don't think you'll find anyone at Head-fi that would put the H6s in the same league. 

Aug 9, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #1,242 of 2,875

Female vocals is where the H6 shines.  It's the male vocals that might be a touch thin sounding, but if you're listening to mainly females, it's really really hard to go wrong w/ them.

The Momentums do male vocals better, female vocals would be a tie with the H6s for me.

Aug 9, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #1,243 of 2,875
The consensus? Most definitely not. I never heard the HD600s, but for many on this forum the HD600s (like the HD650s) are their favorite if not their best pair of headphones. Even technically superior, more expensive headphones cannot beat their unique sound, that is according to HD600's advocates. I don't think you'll find anyone at Head-fi that would put the H6s in the same league. 

Makes sense. I'm just wondering what league to place the H6s in. Not sure whether to keep mine from the sale or sell it and get something better. Own the HD600s and the ATH AD900xs already.

How would these compare to say a Dt770/880/990? Equivalenttier or even higher qualitysound?

Aug 9, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #1,244 of 2,875

Also, HD 600 are open back. Different beast. 

I'm not a headphonus supremus, but I've listened to a few dozen different models over the past 18 months, anyway. H6 are pretty remarkable for closed-back headphones when it comes to soundstage and generally feeling/sounding open and natural. But an actual open-back headphone is totally different and, all things being equal (so to speak), most people find the experience of open-back 'phones to be "better" than that of closed-back. 

So, on top of what Mink said, it's an unfair comparison in many ways.

Aug 9, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #1,245 of 2,875
Also, HD 600 are open back. Different beast. 

I'm not a headphonus supremus, but I've listened to a few dozen different models over the past 18 months, anyway. H6 are pretty remarkable for closed-back headphones when it comes to soundstage and generally feeling/sounding open and natural. But an actual open-back headphone is totally different and, all things being equal (so to speak), most people find the experience of open-back 'phones to be "better" than that of closed-back. 

So, on top of what Mink said, it's an unfair comparison in many ways.

Definitely fair but let's say compared to other closed backs like the dt990(?) How do these compare? Trying to get an idea of where the phones sit in the tier. Are they like HD600 level sound quality in a closed can or something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back