Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Feb 27, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #47 of 2,875
  You need to fix your scoring over there, you've got the H6 scoring above the NAD in every category but you rank it and the P7 above the H6?

Not really....the H6 scores on some things like comfort, imaging and styling. But with overall sound quality, the NADs and P7's are slightly better.

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #48 of 2,875
  I use them exclusively from my iPhone or iPad without an additional amp.

I did that too, until I've been able to ear that same H6 on an iBasso DX50.
Not night and day, but definitively a huge improvement.

I bought the iBasso, and stick with my HD25 when I cannot use anything else but my iphone.

PS : Maybe the ipad has a better amp than the iphone

Mar 7, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #49 of 2,875
I love these headphones. Awesome soundstage and comfort for closed headphones. I found that they sounded significantly better and clearer amped with my soloist. Like in your review, they sound similar to my HD800, though obviously way less clear. 

Mar 20, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #50 of 2,875
This can is comfy...tried it on my Sansa clip+ , even tempered sound...lovely.

May 20, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #54 of 2,875
Just bought this yesterday at a steal (USD300). Out of the box, these sounded too bright. I was surprised, because I work in a Apple Premium Reseller and we have the H6 demo which I always listen during my lunch breaks. :p

Though I am still half skeptical about burning in headphones, but I am starting to believe it more. The H6 in my shop sounds so much better than my brand new unit. So I gave mine a full night of music playback before I came back to it.

Let's talk about my gear first. Nothing fanciful, just an iPhone 5 with the H6 and comparing it to my 6 years old Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 woodies. Songs are 256kbps AAC matched by iTunes Match or bought on iTunes Store. So no lossless here.

After about 8-10 hours of continuous playback, the sound signature of my H6 has noticeably toned down. No longer as bright as when it was brand new. I can listen to it for 2-3 hours now without my ears screaming for help.

To be honest, it is so hard to describe the sound signature of this headphones. In direct comparison to my ESW9s. When listening to the H6, I believe it has much better clarity than the woodies, but when I switch back to my ESW9s immediately (daisy-chain function comes in handy :D) the ESW9s somehow sounds clearer, but only in the vocals. Bass of the H6 was anaemic out of the box, but has improved by now. But it just cannot compare to the ESW9s. The woodies give non-bloated, controlled bass but still manages to thump more than the H6. As for the H6, bass is present but given no priorities whatsoever. Switching back and forth, the H6 somehow manages to sound both clearer and yet also less clearer than my ESW9. Let me explain, I think it's because my ears are used to the tubed-quality of the ESW9s. The woodies is just so luscious in the mid to low range, making vocals sound so exceptional. As for the H6, not one of the sound range takes precedence over another. Every frequency is just so well balanced that you're left with a can that exposes every single detail of the song, including bad details like low bitrate. And because it's so well balanced, the vocals don't shine through like how the ESW9s do it. Emotional appeal goes to the ESW9s, but when you're in the mood to discover new details in your old songs that you've never heard before, it's the H6 hands down.

This is super comfy because I'm an Asian and my head and ears are not that big, the ear cups neatly resting on my head instead of my ears. And the foam of the ear cups are somewhat memory foam, so it conforms nicely to your head. I have no comfort issues whatsoever.

I somehow believe it is very hard for the general public to fall in love with the H6 because of its sound signature which is such a b*tch to describe. I will not say it is audiophile quality material, it is still slightly coloured, but only slightly. Oh sorry, forgot to mention it has a much wider soundstage than the ESW9s. The H6 is a pair of headphones that you really need a lot of time to listen and appreciate it. Once you do appreciate it, you will love it even more. It is just so unique that it's definitely not everyone's cup of tea. It's a love it or loathe it kind of headphones. But no denying everybody will appreciate its design. Haha.

Please pardon my crappy choice of words and review. I am not a professional, just another passerby.

Added: And also, I chose tan because I want my leather to acquire a nice patina. I love the black because it's the epitome of sleek, but I will never be able to get a nice patina with black leather. So I can't wait to put on a few years on my H6 and see how it looks with some patina. :p

Added Again: I think I've finally gotten my head around what's the main sonic difference between the H6 and ESW9. Take away the sparkling and breathtaking treble and add some bass to the sound signature of the H6 and I think that would be the sound signature of the ESW9. The treble of the H6 is just so effortless compared to the slight roll off of the ESW9. And I think this is the defining character of the H6. Both have amazing mids, but the sparkling treble of the H6 sort of stole the limelight a little from the mids. As for the ESW9, the treble is slightly more laid back to really let those amazing mids shine through and making vocals so intoxicating on the woodies. Okay I officially sign off. Haha

May 21, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #55 of 2,875
Thanks alligator ...good job :p

One H6 on sale in the buysell forum...300bucks too. :)

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #57 of 2,875
Posted this over in the NAD VISO HP50 thread, but I think it also makes sense here:

"I just had a little shoot out with the NAD HP50 (which I intented to buy), the Beoplay H6 and my trusty Heir 8.A. After a number of back and forth comparisons listening to the same well known tracks on my DX90 I ended up buying the HP6, despite the 100quid i had to pay more compared to the NAD. Why? I like sparkling, clean, crystal clear highs, and only the H6 delivered that. The bass sounded too thick when going back to the 8.A and with the NAD, it was roughly on the same level as the H6 minus the clear highs. Soundstage was excellent on both the HP50 and the H6. Lots of microdetail on both.
I even discovered some new details in well known tracks again on my way back on the train with 73dB background noise. So the H6 really excel in detail and clarity IMHO.
The H6 has that clean, crisp neutral sound I came to love on my B&W home speakers. This is what i looked for all along. A portable version of my home speakers.
Only the H6 finally was able to deliver IMHO, after trying 8.A CIEMs, Sennheiser HD 530 II, 600 and the NAD HP50.

I just love crystal clear and sparkling sound.:wink:"

Also, can anyone recommend an aftermarket cable without the iPhone remote?

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #58 of 2,875
  Posted this over in the NAD VISO HP50 thread, but I think it also makes sense here:

"I just had a little shoot out with the NAD HP50 (which I intented to buy), the Beoplay H6 and my trusty Heir 8.A. After a number of back and forth comparisons listening to the same well known tracks on my DX90 I ended up buying the HP6, despite the 100quid i had to pay more compared to the NAD. Why? I like sparkling, clean, crystal clear highs, and only the H6 delivered that. The bass sounded too thick when going back to the 8.A and with the NAD, it was roughly on the same level as the H6 minus the clear highs. Soundstage was excellent on both the HP50 and the H6. Lots of microdetail on both.
I even discovered some new details in well known tracks again on my way back on the train with 73dB background noise. So the H6 really excel in detail and clarity IMHO.
The H6 has that clean, crisp neutral sound I came to love on my B&W home speakers. This is what i looked for all along. A portable version of my home speakers.
Only the H6 finally was able to deliver IMHO, after trying 8.A CIEMs, Sennheiser HD 530 II, 600 and the NAD HP50.

I just love crystal clear and sparkling sound.:wink:"

Also, can anyone recommend an aftermarket cable without the iPhone remote?

You can try the V-moda audio only cable (which was tested by some other members here on the H6) : https://v-moda.com/audio-only-cable/

or the FiiO RC-MH1 Headphones Cable (which is compatible with the VModa M100 and thus probably compatible with the Beoplay H6) http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000047199928&MenuID=105026014

I'm glad to finally see that someone is using the combo that I'm planning to get (the BeoPlay H6 and the iBasso DX90), did you update the firmware of the DX90 ?

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #59 of 2,875

You can try the V-moda audio only cable (which was tested by some other members here on the H6) : https://v-moda.com/audio-only-cable/

or the FiiO RC-MH1 Headphones Cable (which is compatible with the VModa M100 and thus probably compatible with the Beoplay H6) http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000047199928&MenuID=105026014

I'm glad to finally see that someone is using the combo that I'm planning to get (the BeoPlay H6 and the iBasso DX90), did you update the firmware of the DX90 ?

Thanks for the tips.. I was just about to update my DX90, but my Win 7 PC has some issues with it. Will update later on my Laptop.
So far I really love the combination of DX90 and H6. The level of detail is truly amazing. Although the bass isn't straightforward in your face thumping, it goes really deep, similar to my 8.A.
Oh and did I mention crystal clear highs? Will see which filter setting i prefer on 2.05.
Also did a quick comparison to my Sennheiser HD600. The H6 goes both higher and lower in frequency with more detail and better imaging IMHO.

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #60 of 2,875
The clarity that you're mentioning is what's driving to get the H6. I'm not a heavy bass enthusiast (I prefer neutral sound) so it should be a real pleasure to use. And by the way, how much burn-in did your H6 & DX90 get ? I will also be waiting for your impressions on the new firmware :D 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back