Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Jun 3, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #61 of 2,875
  The clarity that you're mentioning is what's driving to get the H6. I'm not a heavy bass enthusiast (I prefer neutral sound) so it should be a real pleasure to use. And by the way, how much burn-in did your H6 & DX90 get ? I will also be waiting for your impressions on the new firmware :D 

Although I don't really believe in electronic parts burn in I just let the DX90 run when I didn't use it so it stacked up roughly 370 hours by now. I connected the H6 for the last nights and it's on 48h now.
I can't say I hear much of a difference, maybe because I don't remember in detail how the DX90 sounded in the beginning. The guy from the shop and some reviews I've read here claim that the H6 will improve with burn in.
The H6 (and to some extent the NAD VISO HP50) deliver what I was looking for in the very beginning when I bought my B&W P5: A portable version of my home speaker's sound. I don't know why today's headphones are mostly so tame in high frequencies.
Maybe it's because kids today listen at drum bursting volumes to get the Dre Bass and will find highs at that level painful and would return the headphones?

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #62 of 2,875
Well, the burn-in is still subject to personal conceptions, but since many people have said that the H6 would improve with it, I guess I will do it when I purchase it.

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #63 of 2,875
Well, the burn-in is still subject to personal conceptions, but since many people have said that the H6 would improve with it, I guess I will do it when I purchase it.

I really do believe it does improve with burn in I too bought the H6 purely for the clarity and details it gave me. But on first hearing it was quite shrill and tiring on my ears

But after just 10 hours of looping my playlist, things got better. Bass is slightly more prominent and trebles are no longer as tiring.

I pair it with my FiiO E07k now and it sounds much better thanks to ABIT of bass boost. :D

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #64 of 2,875
I really do believe it does improve with burn in I too bought the H6 purely for the clarity and details it gave me. But on first hearing it was quite shrill and tiring on my ears

But after just 10 hours of looping my playlist, things got better. Bass is slightly more prominent and trebles are no longer as tiring.

I pair it with my FiiO E07k now and it sounds much better thanks to ABIT of bass boost.
biggrin.gif

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, so 10 hours would do the trick or would I need more burn in ?

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #65 of 2,875
  Thank you for sharing your experience with us, so 10 hours would do the trick or would I need more burn in ?

I'd say, now after 48 hours on them the sound is pretty much perfect to me. Couldn't be much happier. More detailed than both my HD600 and 8.A $1500 CIEMs. Better, clearer highs, more spacious sound and deep deep bass, IF it's in the recording. Deep, not loud that is. I really love them.

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #66 of 2,875
  I'd say, now after 48 hours on them the sound is pretty much perfect to me. Couldn't be much happier. More detailed than both my HD600 and 8.A $1500 CIEMs. Better, clearer highs, more spacious sound and deep deep bass, IF it's in the recording. Deep, not loud that is. I really love them.

I'm glad to hear that, is the impression similar with the BeoPlay H6 ? And did you manage to update the firmware ?

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #67 of 2,875
  I'm glad to hear that, is the impression similar with the BeoPlay H6 ? And did you manage to update the firmware ?

Yes, I'm currently listening to my DX90 on FW 2.05. Can't hear any difference between the sharp and slow roll off filter setting, but TBH, there shouldn't be any audible difference anyways if you read into the topic on what the filter does.

The DX90 is small, light, sounds fantastic and doesn't require an amp for the H6. Soon it will have drivers for Windows x64 to use it as USB DAC (Win32 drivers already available), which would make this little DAP perfect for my needs.

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #68 of 2,875
Looks like it's my money will be well spent on these two items, now all I have is to gather the required funds for them.

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #69 of 2,875

Unfortunately I hadn't have the chance to run my H6 in for 48 hours. Barely 1 week into my ownership of my H6, I had to send it in to the service centre. The black felt bag had transferred colour onto the natural leather of my H6. Black marks all over the lambskin earcups and calfskin headband.

Hopefully it comes back to me soon. But yes, just 15-20 hours is enough to hear a clear difference as compared to brand new out from the box. Same detailed mids and highs but more refined. And with more bass presence.

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #71 of 2,875
That's bad luck. Did it get wet/moist or how did that happen? Luckily, my H6 are black anyways.:)

It's never been moist or wet whenever I put it into the bag. Pretty bad customer service too. The receptionist was trying to convince me it's wear and tear and it will happen when the leather patinates. So I was trying to tell her it's black marks on the leather, it ain't patina. Haha.

Should have gotten black instead

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #72 of 2,875
I first heard H6 on my layover in London and I knew that I wanted it. I am not a bass head and I always gravitated to the headphones that are more neutral. The ones I always cherished and carried around were all what can be termed as bass light (Etymotic ER4, AKG K701, Senn HD800, HifiMan LE5) and the ones I have bought and gave away have always been warmer headphones with the exception of Denon AH-D7000 (Denon 5000 & 2000, Senn Momentum, Sony MDR and so on). So do remember that when you read the following.

I absolutely love these headphones and I am happy that the headphone seems tonally right to me. There are far too many headphones that I had to get rid off due to them seeming somewhat off. I tried them with iPhone 5S but they opened up a lot more when I played them through the CCK and Centrance DACPort. Playing CD ripped FLAC files really bring out the best in them. I was happy for a while but wanted to see how much they'd open up with better amp. So I rockboxed my iMod and paired it with my trusty Just Audio AHA120. Wow. They sounded even better but I was sure that a good desktop amp could open them even more and I was right.

I love NuForce amps because they always seem neutral to me and closer to my listening preference. So I got the iMod connected to NuForce HAP 100 and these just opened up even more. I love them so much that they made me retire my Denon AH-D7000. Even though the Denons are bass heavy they seemed slightly better to me when I added a 75ohm adapter to them. But I was never able to listen to music more than an hour or two at the max with those. I have very sensitive ears and bassy headphones always made my ears hurt. With H6, I have finally found something that helps me enjoy music for long hours. I believe that it falls nicely between ER4 and HD800.

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #73 of 2,875
I'd characterize the sound of these as somewhat lean / clinical but very pleasant.  Though the sound is relatively neutral, that treble doesn't stick out and isn't brash at all.  You can hear the recording for what it is and all the details in every frequency range come through.

Really enjoy these headphones at my work setup.   

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #74 of 2,875
looking for some guidance and input here..

I've been eyeballing these cans for a while now, reading tons and tons of reviews and comparisons with other headphones...my current cans are a pair of Sol Republic Tracks (surprisingly good for $100 and so far have been satisfactory). I'm gonna be able to upgrade here in the next few weeks and I'd like to get some user input on whether the H6's are really gonna be what I'm looking for...

All my music is Extreme Quality downloads from Spotify on my Nexus 5 (soon to be replaced by an HTC One M8). I'm not in the market for a DAC/Amp just yet but I'm open to the possibility...

As a reference, I've auditioned the B&W P5's and P7's (not sure if I like the fit of the P7's so much but audio wise they're nice). I even humored my sister-in-law and listened to some Beats by Dre (absolutely atrocious despite her saying they're the best).

My home speakers are a pair of Focal Chorus 706V's with an older Yamaha deck (Burr-Brown DACs in it so it's not all bad lol). So I have some pretty high expectations and requirements for detailed, accurate reproduction.

If I listen mostly to heavy metal, rock, and dubsteb/house music with a smattering of classical and country (the classical HAS TO SOUND PERFECT!!) would this be a good option? I want strong bass (but not boomy/muddy) and clear mids and highs.

If these aren't what im looking for then please tell me before I drop $400 on them (that's the upper limit of my budget by the way). Also, I like in the Palm Springs CA area so if there's anywhere I can demo these or other headphones that'd be great!

Or am I asking for too much? :p

thanks!

Josh

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #75 of 2,875
Josh,

The H6 are great headphones.  I love mine, and the headband and ear pads continue to break in like a fine pair of leather shoes, just amazing how comfortable they are for such a minimalist design.  I enjoy every genre on these things, but based on your description I would not pull the trigger until you hear Shure SRH-1540, V-Moda M100 and Focal Spirit Classic (there are other good candidates around this price point, but I think these three are the best options for your preferences).  I have not yet heard the Classic, but I just got the Spirit Pro and despite the somewhat heavy clamping force and small ear pads I really like them a lot and will be adding the Classic at some point soon (By most accounts, the Pro is a bit more clinical and less comfortable, and of lesser build quality, while the Classic is a bit warmer sounding and overall more pleasant...but still sounds like a Focal). SRH-1540 are the best closed headphones I have heard at $500 or less and I think they also line up well with your sonic priorities.  I auditioned them extensively at a local meet and would have bought them already except for some hesitation around the fit for my angled head (I will need to bend them a bit to get things right).  I owned the M100 for a few months and was very impressed with them at the price point, but just a tad too much bass for me and they also didn't adjust well to my angled head.  I like the hefty build quality and think it is a shame that many dismiss them as serious candidates for a high quality transducer, which I think they are.  In many ways, the H6 has been one of the most impressive headphones I own, but it does have the B&O house sound, and so do the Focals, so give that careful consideration.  It just so happens that I have always loved both companies approach to HiFi so I have many good things to say about both and glad that I own both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back