Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Jul 20, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #91 of 2,875
In my experience the sound quality changes drastically with an amp. I have tried it on iPhone 5S (FLAC/Onkyo HD player) but the cans opened up more in my transportable setup of iMod (Rockbox + FLAC) + Just Audio AHA120. I was quite happy with the transportable rig but then I plugged my iMod to NuForce HAP-100 and H6 shined. Got to try this with my Hugo but I am quite certain that this headphones deserve some quality amplifier to shine through, in my listening tests. That being said, iPhone 5S was able to dive these beautifully. I can easily understand if you chose not to amp them.

I also think that we tend to appreciate music in a certain way and we tend to gravitate towards equipment which shows us music the way we like to listen. I love analytical sound and almost always gravitate towards equipment which tents to have deeper bass but not as much slam and extended but sharper treble with good separation and soundstage. It is the reason why my favorite headphones have always been AKG-701, Etymotic ER4, Sennheriser HD-800, HiFiMan LE-5 and now B&O H6. Reason I am saying this is because may be someone likes their music presented differently. Trust your ears. Try them with various amps in a meet-up and then decide.

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #92 of 2,875
I did read a review that said these totally benefit from it :) 

http://www.headfonia.com/bo-beoplay-h6/2/

Check it out :) 

That;s not to say they absolutely NEED it. :) They do sound perfectly good on their own.

I have, but I'm going to go with my experiences instead. :wink:

I think it's a total fail for a pair of portable headphones to require external amping to sound really good. They should sound close to their best right out of your player.

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #93 of 2,875
Scored a pair of these off a gent that purchased a couple, one as a gift that the giftee did not appreciate.  Looking forward to their arrival next week.

I've been taking a hard look at the Woo Fireflies as an amp option, although the Oppo also has my attention.  Different animals...one is supposed to be very good and warm....unbelievably beautiful.  The other looks to have a ton of flexibility including bluetooth.  

If anyone has any opinions, toss em out, please.

Thanks to the Op for starting this thread...

biggrin.gif

HS

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #94 of 2,875
  Scored a pair of these off a gent that purchased a couple, one as a gift that the giftee did not appreciate.  Looking forward to their arrival next week.

I've been taking a hard look at the Woo Fireflies as an amp option, although the Oppo also has my attention.  Different animals...one is supposed to be very good and warm....unbelievably beautiful.  The other looks to have a ton of flexibility including bluetooth.  

If anyone has any opinions, toss em out, please.

Thanks to the Op for starting this thread...

biggrin.gif

HS

For this headphone, I would suggest the good/warm/unbelievably beautiful. It would compliment these really nicely.

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #95 of 2,875
  For this headphone, I would suggest the good/warm/unbelievably beautiful. It would compliment these really nicely.

Thank you, WC.  That's what my gut's been telling me, but the practical dude on my shoulder has been whispering about the Oppo.

I have to say...every time I see a pic of the Woo...it makes me smile.  May or may not be the best thing for me, but boy does she make me smile...

biggrin.gif

HS

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #96 of 2,875
Also, if anyone is wondering, I've attached the measurements made by Innerfidelity on the H6...

:D What I really love about this FR Chart, is that it is VERY similar to the Sennheiser HD 600s, which are considered neutral. Interestingly enough, the H6's seem to have a stronger subbass compared to the HD 600's. However, there;s no waviness in the 100-200 Hz mid bass region like the H6 has. The reason for this is that the H6 lowered the response of the frequencies that would cause muddiness in the mids, right around the 160-180 Hz mark. The HD 600;s have a less sharp dip at the 4 Khz mark. 

I just wanted to share the graphs I found and confirm what I was hearing. But... expect a full review in a few days :)

The images are posted below for everyone's convenience. There is a link to the original source at the end :)

Link to the full data sheet: 
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BangOlufsenH6.pdf

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #97 of 2,875
Never actually gone through the measurements, but they look decently good! I will be doing a full side-by-side comparison between the H6 and the very popular Viso HP50 by NAD. Below are teasers :D

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #98 of 2,875
  Never actually gone through the measurements, but they look decently good! I will be doing a full side-by-side comparison between the H6 and the very popular Viso HP50 by NAD. Below are teasers :D

Wow! Those look great! :D

I'd love to read your impressions though :)

I can't wait to post my review (but I'm taking the time to listen first) :) Fair warning, though, mine are blue :D

Oh, and I may do a comparison with the Sennheiser Momentums.

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #100 of 2,875
Everything coming this Wednesday (hopefully).

IMO B&O H6 vs Momentum;

Momentum totally has no comparison H6 in terms of soundstage, imaging and instrumental separation
H6 is faster in bass slam. momentum has quantity and goes deeper.
Momentum is warmer and more musical.
H6 for slightly better details.
H6 for portable and features (left right jack choice)
IMO, H6 for the look as well.

Just for Winter Charm;
And I am jelly of your blue color edition! If only I purchased it after the blue color is released :/

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #101 of 2,875
Looking 

Looking forward to your impressions. I only had little time to compare these two when I auditioned them at a local dealer.
To me, the H6 came out superior. In direct comparison, it had better, clearer highs, better soundstage and vocals/mids. To me, bass and deep bass was almost identical. Enough for me to pay the £100 extra for the H6.

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #102 of 2,875
Looking 
Looking forward to your impressions. I only had little time to compare these two when I auditioned them at a local dealer.
To me, the H6 came out superior. In direct comparison, it had better, clearer highs, better soundstage and vocals/mids. To me, bass and deep bass was almost identical. Enough for me to pay the £100 extra for the H6.

The review should be up soon by Wednesday or Thursday latest so stay tune! :)

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #105 of 2,875
Why P7 better than H6? I have large ears and over ear headsets really bother after short use. I tried the VMODA 100 and returned (even with the large pad.)

I am now considering either P7 or H6...

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back