Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Jul 3, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #76 of 2,875
Cool...how would you describe the sound on the Focal's? I've noticed them (was a tad put off by the styling at first but that's a non-issue when it all comes down to it) before and I'm really curious as to how they would sound compared to my Chorus 706V's. I have no doubt that they're detailed I'm a touch more concerned about the bass presence on them (I don't want to have to strain to actually hear the bass notes like I have to do with my SR Tracks right now). I absolutely love my Focal speakers (bought them based solely on reviews in 2009 and I almost cried when I heard the detail!)

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #77 of 2,875
Hey, I could use some advice here.  I have just recently gotten back into headphones after a long break (years).  I picked up H6 and love them.  I'm using an ifi DSD and Amp for portable and a Little Dot 3 for home.  Any time I use the 1/4" adapter I have to set the plug just right for the sound to be correct (very thin plugged all the way in).  Is there another type of 1'4" adapter I can use with the H6 cable?  

Thanks!

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #78 of 2,875
Quick PSA for anyone who's interested... Bang & Olufson put a special limited edition for these on sale for $200. 

http://www.amazon.com/PLAY-1642010-BeoPlay-Limited-Edition/dp/B00KKGNUWO/ref=sr_1_3?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1405085288&sr=1-3&keywords=bang+and+olufsen+beoplay+h6

There are 8 of them left at the time I posted this. (Having already demoed and loved them, I went ahead and bought one. For $200, these are a STEAL)

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #81 of 2,875

I have both V-moda M100 and Beoplay H6,

The V-moda M100 cable fits perfectly, My M100 is white, the cable is grey, totally match my Silver Beoplay H6.

I throw away the H6 original cable, it degrades the sound quality and is a crappy cable....completely ********...
I also tested with a Furutech OFC cable (I have to brutally grind the insert of cable to fit in by some power tools),
OFC cable makes the sound less "Thin" and maintaining the Airy sound of H6... add a bit "warm" feeling.

Btw, I feel that H6 must be Amped to show it's full potential... only on iphone or ipod (me is ipod 5G), sound too thin and weak...
After Amped with Corda Stepdance + Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC....  Perfect for Jazz !

So, if the M100 cable works, do you think I could get this: and use it for gaming? http://v-moda.com/boompro-microphone/ 
And then get a "no controls" M100 cable for amping? :)

Also, those of you interested in a 3.5mm to ¼" adapter might want to check this out: http://v-moda.com/coilpro-cable/

Also, does anyone have a a portable DAC/Amp to recommend for these? 

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #82 of 2,875

So, if the M100 cable works, do you think I could get this: and use it for gaming? http://v-moda.com/boompro-microphone/ 
And then get a "no controls" M100 cable for amping? :)

Also, those of you interested in a 3.5mm to ¼" adapter might want to check this out: http://v-moda.com/coilpro-cable/

Also, does anyone have a a portable DAC/Amp to recommend for these? 

Chord Hugo is amazing, very natural and organic sound, but probably expensive for most people. Thus I recommend Meridian Explorer, it has a smooth and fluid sound signature which pairs well with H6.

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #83 of 2,875

Chord Hugo is amazing, very natural and organic sound, but probably expensive for most people. Thus I recommend Meridian Explorer, it has a smooth and fluid sound signature which pairs well with H6.

Mother of God! that price tag on the hugo made me piss myself :xf_eek: 

Hmm, okay the Meridian Explorer seems pretty nice. Still a bit out of my price range. 

I'm wondering about the JDS Lab C5 or C5D. If I go the C5 Route, how good should my internal DAC be? I have an iPhone and a Macbook Pro. I've heard the iPhone is actually a really nice source. No idea about the Macbook Pro.

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #84 of 2,875
Nice to see the H6 getting some attention.

Regarding Focal sound in comparison, I am not sure about the Classic, but I have the Pro and I like it a bit more than the H6.  I mentioned it was not even close in another post of mine and I wish I wouldn't have had such a knee jerk reaction, because it is close, but I think the Pro is a superior sounding headphone (and a massive pain in the rear end regarding fit and comfort, but I have somehow lucked out and it works well for me).  However, the H6 has certain strengths that I would urge folks to consider and that also leave me convinced I will not part with them anytime soon.  First, they are extremely comfortable for a closed headphone, and look nice as well.  Second, they don't throw a giant soundstage, but better than most closed headphones and what they do really well is instrument separation and details.  They also have a classic B&O midrange sound, which is a good thing IMHO, and I find the bass to be very well balanced with a decent amp.

Regarding Meridian Explorer... I have not heard it, but by all accounts and descriptions it would be a natural pairing.  For less money, I use the Dragonfly 1.2 which is not necessarily "smooth" sounding, but it is very well detailed and competent at it's price point and thus brings out a few of the H6 strengths while also managing to be just enough extra juice to improve the bass over my phone/laptop jacks.

When I am watching movies and my open headphones (HD600 and HD700) are disturbing my family, I take the H6 over the Focal Spirit Pro every time as it is a no brainer.  I have also traveled with them and even though they are not isolation champs, their sound signature is relaxing and thoughtful, almost like meditation for me.  They manage to sound so crisp and finely detailed without any etch or harshness, at least in anything I typically listen to.

It is great that you can try them out at an Apple Store, but even better yet if you happen to have a Best Buy Magnolia near you, they often have a MacBook and Dragonfly hanging around if you ask, and that is a much better option.

Jul 16, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #85 of 2,875
Just ordered these for £179 here in the Uk from Home AV Direct - http://homeavdirect.co.uk/bang-olufsen-h6-limited-edition-by-ricarso-akn

The blue might not be to everybody's liking but at that kind of discount I couldn't resist.
Currently switching between the Nad HP50 and the B+W P7, will be interesting to see how the H6 compares.

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #86 of 2,875
  Just ordered these for £179 here in the Uk from Home AV Direct - http://homeavdirect.co.uk/bang-olufsen-h6-limited-edition-by-ricarso-akn

The blue might not be to everybody's liking but at that kind of discount I couldn't resist.
Currently switching between the Nad HP50 and the B+W P7, will be interesting to see how the H6 compares.

Oh man that's a good price! Congrats!

I haven't heard the NAD's but I compared the P7's and H6's side by side and I noticed that the H6's are WAY more comfortable/light. The P7's clamp a bit more, but that also allows them to isolate a bit better than the H6's. Sound wise I though the P7's were a bit warmer and bassier (but they're also easier to drive than the H6's so your experience may vary). Overall though I felt the H6's were more detailed and had a wider soundstage...oh and vocals were simply sensual on the H6's! :D

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #87 of 2,875

Awesome price. I paid £325 not long ago. Compared them to the NAD HP50 and my 8.A and I  still got the H6 over the HP50 despite being more expensive. I liked the crystal clear highs and spacious sound.

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #88 of 2,875
  I use them exclusively from my iPhone or iPad without an additional amp.

Okay so I'm definitely about to cancel my P7 order for these (Amazon still doesn't have them in stock) but can this be driven well without an amp? I use an iPhone 5S and don't feel like buying/carrying around an amp. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll quote this from a trusted expert who elucidated where/why an Amp is used.

Inefficient headphones benefit primarily from additional power. Sensitive IEMs benefit tremendously from amplification when you consider SNR and non-ideal frequency response. A good amp minimizes background hiss and corrects inaccurate frequency response (assuming the source had non-ideal output-Z).

Whatever headphones you use, you need to consider the quality of your source. Does its power, SNR, and output-Z satisfy your headphones?

So, in short, it's not required, but the benefits can be huge, and it only partially has to do with how easy something is to drive. :) Sensitive headphones, such as these, *can* benefit hugely from amplification. Does that mean you need it? no. But it does mean that it will improve their sound greatly. :)

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #90 of 2,875
Depends on the headphones that require better amping. The H6s aren't really one of those headphones.

I did read a review that said these totally benefit from it :) 

http://www.headfonia.com/bo-beoplay-h6/2/

Check it out :) 

That;s not to say they absolutely NEED it. :) They do sound perfectly good on their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back