Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Aug 30, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #2,401 of 2,875
What is you prefer about the H6 over the "overhyped" 99s? I sold my Neo after purchasing the 2nd generation H6, but I'm still considering snagging a pair of Classics. I like the H6 for it's smoothness and all day listening enjoyment, as it's not what I would consider aggressive, but with fast rock music, it can become a little congested. I'm hoping that the Classics can stay better separated with busy tracks, and offer a little better attack, as so many people recommend them for rock n roll. None the less, the H6 is one of my favorites in the collection. Top 4 anyways
Without amping the h6 was congested at times for me. With the jds c5d they never get congested. I don't have the second gen. I compared the first gen in all cases. I think the second gen lacked the midrange finese the first had. But 2nd is more easy to drive and is more bass heavy. I didn't get a thorough listen on them though. I am using the cable from Amazon. With thee original is bit thin and spundstage is narrow to my ears.

Sep 16, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #2,402 of 2,875
I received my new HD6XX a few days ago and I couldn't help but compare them to my H6 Gen 2. In all honesty, I was expecting the HD6XX to sound way better than the H6, but that really wasn't the case at all...in all honesty, to my ears and to my surprise, they don't sound too far off from one another...which is great! The signatures are different, but in terms of sound quality alone, the H6 matches up very well against the HD6XX. Now, I do think the HD6XX sounds better, but it is, after all, considered by many to be one of the greatest headphones of all time. Also, when I first put the HD6XX on and listened to them for a while, they left a greater first impression than the H6 did. It took me a bit of time to warm up to the H6. Another thing that surprised me, the HD6XX sounded great to me only off of my MacBook and got loud enough. I did order a Magni 3 and it is still on the way, so I will plan on plugging both headphones into it but I'm not expecting it to make a huge difference at this point.

To break it down more I will compare the attributes between the two, starting with the bass; The HD6XX is known to be mid-bass heavy and thick, but lacking in extension. The H6 is the opposite. It has an accentuated and deep sub-bass, but a slightly cooled off mid bass. Comparing songs with the two, I felt that I wasn't missing anything on the H6, even with the mid bass dip. While the HD6XX has a little more body in that region, the H6 doesn't feel completely empty, and the accentuated sub bass adds a little warmth to the H6, but not as much as the HD6XX. I also find the H6 bass to be tighter, and some mid-upper bass notes sound quicker and actually a little more accurate; these notes on the HD6XX hang around a little too long and create a bit of mud. I think the HD6XX bass is good for music that benefits from a little extra warmth but the bass of the H6 sounds tighter and more textured to me.

The midrange is the strongest attribute of the HD6XX and was expecting it to sound worlds better than the H6 but once again to my surprise, it didn't run circles around the H6 at all. While this one area is the only one where the winner is more clear (the HD6XX wins) the H6 still holds it own, and honestly, the midrange of the HD6XX sounds better clearly on only certain songs. The H6, to my ears, has a slightly more pronounced upper midrange and lower treble, along with the aforementioned mid-upper bass/low mid dip. This makes some vocals that already have some reverb/echo effect (Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" was a primary example) even more pronounced, and a little thin and artificial and lacking body, and also a little bit of ringing on rare occasions. The mid-bass warmth of the HD6XX fills in this body beautifully. However, on tracks where vocals don't have this problem, both sounded pretty close to my ears. The rest of the midrange sounds pretty close to my ears, horns, guitars, sounded only slightly better on the HD6XX during my initial comparisons, where it has a little more texture and resolve over all. The H6 handles them just fine. The only other (small!) problem area I can think of, which was kind odd, was some deep synthesizer tones sounded more natural on the HD6XX too; they had more midrange tonality, the H6 sub bass made it sound a little "bassier" than it should. I think. To summarize, the H6 midrange does sound a little thin and a little hollow, but compared to the HD6XX, not as much as I had initially assumed.

The HD6XX treble is famously relaxed slightly. This is the one area where the H6 is a little more accurate as the HD6XX clearly misses some treble sparkle and also lacks air, leaving the sound thick and dark, nice for relaxing, but the quickness and airiness of the H6 treble is missed a bit. Once again, because of this it allows the HD6XX midrange to sound a bit more pronounced and warm, but it's harder to hear the details on the HD6XX. Also, because of the airier treble of the H6, it has a better soundstage to my ears, with more width and height, while the HD6XX has a little more intimacy. Sometimes it's good to have air and space, other times it's good to have intimacy. Instrument separation is about the same on both headphones to my ears.

I have to say, now having a great headphone like the HD6XX to compare the H6 to, I can say that the H6 holds up much better than I thought. One thing I will say, to be honest, I feel just a little bit closer to the music with the HD6XX, and I think it's due to the warmth and the tone of the midrange, and the intimacy of the soundstage. The H6 is more extended but also maybe a little more analytical. One of the H6's biggest criticisms I've read about was it's timbre, and yeah it's not quite as good as the HD6XX but it's pretty close to my ears. It's not bad at all.

I'm happy to own both of these headphones. Because I do like the HD6XX a little more, it will get quite a bit of use, but I can't use them at work or on the go, and that's where the H6 comes in, and I can still expect a solid performance from them.

I don't think the H6 gets the recognition it deserves.

Sep 16, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #2,403 of 2,875
I don't think the H6 gets the recognition it deserves.

You are right. I don't know why I don't use mine more. Maybe because I find the headband uncomfortable... not enough padding so edge of the band kind of cuts into my head a little. Sounds great when I do use it.. not disappointed in the sound at all. Problem for me is that I have too many other choices. And yet, I can't let it go...

Sep 16, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #2,404 of 2,875
You are right. I don't know why I don't use mine more. Maybe because I find the headband uncomfortable... not enough padding so edge of the band kind of cuts into my head a little. Sounds great when I do use it.. not disappointed in the sound at all. Problem for me is that I have too many other choices. And yet, I can't let it go...
I tried to keep myself limited to one headphone but all of the great things about the HD650/HD6XX I've read over the years...I decided to bite the bullet, for only $200 no problem. Now I have one open back for when I'm alone and a closed back for other situations.

Oct 2, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #2,407 of 2,875
Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #2,409 of 2,875
It's all subjective, I still cannot believe that the so-called trendy crowd think the "Beats" sound is the best, for me it is boomy, and muffled.

I like the H6's because they are clear and natural compared to other headphones, but when the bass does kick in, the H6 handles it without distortion.

I bought the 2nd Gen as they were the current model at the time, but since buying them a lot of reviews claim that the sound has improved.
its not right. it sounds different, and its a matter of preference between the two. My wife also wanted the same headphone, and I had purchased the 2nd gen when it came out. Though the second was slightly louder, we both liked the first gen more for vocals. Ended up returning 2nd gen. Downside is , it needs a DAP to sound right, means more power than 2nd gen to sound right.

Oct 10, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #2,410 of 2,875
Still my favorite closed back can. In fact, the only headphone I own that I like a little better is the 58X.
Has anyone removed the outer round pieces from the ear cups? The shiny part with the B&O logo that scratches if you look at it wrong. I'm wondering if it will simply pop out undamaged, or if their is further disassembly involved. I wouldn't mind hitting them with my airbrush.

Oct 10, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #2,411 of 2,875
How does one tell whether they are 1st or 2nd generation if it's not notated in the description? I know the 1st generation black had green inserts, and the 2nd generation black has black inserts. But what about the khaki color? Did the 2nd generation only come in black? I'm considering picking up a pair of 1st generation for the heck of it.

Oct 10, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #2,412 of 2,875
How does one tell whether they are 1st or 2nd generation if it's not notated in the description? I know the 1st generation black had green inserts, and the 2nd generation black has black inserts. But what about the khaki color? Did the 2nd generation only come in black? I'm considering picking up a pair of 1st generation for the heck of it.
its very difficult : This page can help you a bit I guess https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bang-olufsen-beoplay-h6-discussion-thread.702524/page-55

Oct 10, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #2,413 of 2,875

Yeah, I gotta say, I took a look at my right driver and I could not tell from the pic the difference at all between V1 and V2 ... I'm confident mine is V1 but that pic shows no visible difference at all to my eye, either between the two in the pic, or between my driver and both in the pic. They all look identical to me. :joy:

FullSizeRender-3.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #2,414 of 2,875
If anyone is looking for a relaxed but tight wide and deep presentation with H6 get the JDS C5D. Now I have a Mojo, I think the JDS was better match with the H6 as treble on Mojo is not extended as the JDS. The JDS just makes the headphone wider and more 3Dimensional. Both gain modes on the JDS sets to different profile on the H6 so one of it would work for most people. Mojo only has more details and better midrange. I wont consider it as an upgrade but just a matter of preference on the H6. Mojos vocals are more boxy in comparison. Since I read a lot of reviews positive for Mojo, I got one expecting it be an improvement over the JDS on the H6. But ended up getting a sideways. If more detail alone is considered an upgrade then for them its an upgrade.

Oct 25, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #2,415 of 2,875
Just for the heck of it I compared my H6 Gen 2 from the phone directly and the Magni 3. I have to say I was very surprised. The amped H6 is the headphone you want to know. The sound is so much better. All the issues with the H6 basically disappeared. The subbass was tamed, the sound felt more spacious and layered and precise, the mids don’t sound as thin or hollow, and are smoothed out and more balanced. Treble sounds a little more crisp. Guitars have more crunch, bass sounds more tight and crisp, drums have more punch. The headphone sounds more dynamic, more musical, more natural. I felt more inside the music. The H6 straight through my iPhone sounds good but you can hear its flaws more easily; it sounds more congested. Everything is cleared up with the addition of the Magni 3.

Now I’m wondering, is there a portable option I can get that would be similar to the one I had with my Magni 3? Looking to spend around $100, more if it's worth it. I guess just something that will really help the sound the way the Magni does?

Some options I've found that might work;

Fiio E17K ALPEN 2 USB DAC Headphone Amplifier
FiiO Q1 Mark II Native DSD DAC & Amplifier for iPhone, iPod, iPad
FiiO A3 Portable Headphone Amplifier (Black)
AudioQuest DragonFly Black v1.5 Plug-in USB DAC + Preamp + Headphone Amp

Also, perhaps a used Oppo HA-2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back