Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Apr 16, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #812 of 2,875
  The H6 looks like a fashion headphone, but they are dead serious technical marvels inside.  My experience A-Bing my H6 against the PM-3 was apples vs oranges:  the Oppos couldn`t come close to the naturalness, balance and precision of the B&O, and the B&O are cheaper, smaller and fit (me) better.   I like the new Beyer T5p V2 slightly better, but they`re three times the price and twice as bulky.   

I feel the H6 is the best audiophile bang-for-buck in closed headphones.  

I agree completely. For me the biggest difference is that my T5p V1 sounds better directly from my iPhone HP-out, where the H6 needs a lot more amplification for them to really come to life. When I use H6 from my desktop DACCORD+CLASSIC is where I enjoy the H6 most. I think that the neutral sound from the iPhone+H6 do not have any WOW-factor at all at first listen. Maybe even a bit boring compared to a lot of other portable headphones like the Momentum or T51p for instance. 

I think it is a shame that the B&O stores do not have a A&K player or at least a good source+amp to demo the H6. People bring their iPhones to the B&O shops to demo the H6 but they never experience the full potential of H6 until they play from proper amplified source. 

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #813 of 2,875
My pair developed a problem with the cord. When first unplugged and reinserted through the jack in the earpiece, no sound came through the headphones until I pulled the cord out again and then reinserted. This happened with more than one cord. No other headphone has done this so I decided better safe than sorry and decided to return them.
frown.gif

I'll try another pair again a little later in the year.

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #814 of 2,875
H6 second gen (black) £199 (!) at amazon UK 
smily_headphones1.gif

Deal has been pulled as the amazon page has broke.
It should be here so bookmark it when it returns https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01B45RTSK/

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #815 of 2,875
  People bring their iPhones to the B&O shops to demo the H6 but they never experience the full potential of H6 until they play from proper amplified source. 

The H6 V2 apparently has substantially lower impedance than the original. I've seen reports that it no longer requires an amp.

@DivaFonda - Thanks for letting us know.

Best regards,
Brian

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #816 of 2,875

The H6 V2 apparently has substantially lower impedance than the original. I've seen reports that it no longer requires an amp.

@DivaFonda - Thanks for letting us know.

Best regards,
Brian

Lower impedance? OR more sensitive drivers? Interesting. I am guessing they will be more dynamic and responsive then? Maybe I should try the new version in a store next time I am in town. 

As far as I remember the first version (the one I have) is 32 Ohm. 

Apr 17, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #817 of 2,875
I've had the B&O H6 for around 2 months now, using them daily during my commute, a replacement for my DT1350.....and I have to say, they are absolutely, stonking brilliant!

I picked them up for a great price on these forums, in mint condition, and while I originally had reservations about the bass, I now hear what "quality" and "layered" bass is all about.

Here is my comparison to my 5+ year old Beyer DT1350, which were previously used on my daily commute Both driven by the iBasso DX50:

Mid Range

DT1350: Forward, clear, at times "shouty" but nonetheless very enjoyable and a focal point of the sound signature (along with bass).
B&O H6: Well balanced, forward but not shouty as the DT1350. Generally very smooth and very pleasing. Its clear and upfront in the soundstage.

Treble

DT1350: Detailed, clear, not piercing at all.
B&O H6: Same as DT1350.

Bass

DT1350: Hits very hard, good slam, lots of mid bass.
B&O H6: Also hits hard, not as much mid bass as DT1350 but better sub (low) bass. Has much better quality bass, the layering is noticeably better. The bass really took me by surprise on the H6.Very enjoyable.

Soundstage

DT1350: Closed, narrow, in your head sound, congested, the low point of the sound signature.
B&O H6: Brilliant, open, clear, out of head sound with certain tracks, the soundstage helps create clarity with instruments, increases perceived detail retrieval. 

Comfort

DT1350: I've worn these for 6 hours straight. Yes, it hurts the ears.
B&O H6: Just lovely, light as a feather, lighter than DT1350, no comfort issues at all.

In conclusion, these are my favourite headphones I currently own. I've owned many headphones over the years, some mid range, some high end. The H6 are one of the cheaper headphones I have purchased and I actually consider these the overall best I have ever purchased. The comfort, the sound, the closed back design, the aesthetics, removable cable, dual entry cable option, build quality; it just ticks all the boxes for me.

The Danish really know how to produce great sound. Thank you Bang & Olufsen for giving us a well balanced headphone, a jack of all trades if you will.
beerchug.gif

Apr 17, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #818 of 2,875
  Lower impedance? OR more sensitive drivers?

Possibly both. Here's a photo that shows the differences in drivers between V1 and V2, courtesy of Tyler Fox:

I've had the B&O H6 for around 2 months now, using them daily during my commute, a replacement for my DT1350.....and I have to say, they are absolutely, stonking brilliant!

I picked them up for a great price on these forums, in mint condition, and while I originally had reservations about the bass, I now hear what "quality" and "layered" bass is all about.

Here is my comparison to my 5+ year old Beyer DT1350, which were previously used on my daily commute Both driven by the iBasso DX50:

Just what I was looking for! I hope it's B&O V2?

Kind regards,
Brian

Apr 18, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #819 of 2,875
Actually, V1. You just need a good amp to get the best out of them. They drink more juice than the DT1350.

Apr 18, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #820 of 2,875
  Actually, V1. You just need a good amp to get the best out of them. They drink more juice than the DT1350.

+1 even my wife who can cleary listen the different between straight from iPad vs external DAC/amp device.

Apr 18, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #821 of 2,875

+1 even my wife who can cleary listen the different between straight from iPad vs external DAC/amp device.

In my experience using speakers with a DAC or amplifier, it's the amplifier which produces the biggest noticeable difference in sound. Same principle is applied to headphones. To get that bass slam and weight in the music, you need to make sure the headphones do not run out of juice. This means feed it with enough POWER. This is why amplifiers from NAD and Roksan are notorious for great bass slam and weight, it's because these amps have huge power in reserve, waiting to be unleashed. 

What I love about the iBasso DX50 is the 3 step gain switch. While the DT1350 ran on setting 1, the B&O H6 actually needs to be set to gain 2 at the same listening volume, I find.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #822 of 2,875
Just sent an email to B&O about the H6 2Generation and got a response today.

Hey does the new H6 2Version play louder from my Mobile phone then the 1Version?

I can see from the specs that they both have same impedance 30ohm and 97db.

If it can play louder how so can you explain?

Thank you for contacting Bang & Olufsen Customer Service regarding the BeoPlay H6.

Actually, there is no difference in the speaker specifications of the 2 versions, the 2nd generation will play at the same volume level as the 1st generation.

Wishing you a lovely weekend.

Kind regards,
Ina Bang Andersen (Ms) | Customer Service

I listen to the 1Generaton at work compering to the 2Generation i own and can hear no difference in volume or sound quality.
Only difference is the head strap is a bit bigger in the 2Generation but not much.
And the earcaps are more polished so it is a bit more dust resistant.

Apr 19, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #824 of 2,875
  Just sent an email to B&O about the H6 2Generation and got a response today.

Hey does the new H6 2Version play louder from my Mobile phone then the 1Version?

I can see from the specs that they both have same impedance 30ohm and 97db.

If it can play louder how so can you explain?

Thank you for contacting Bang & Olufsen Customer Service regarding the BeoPlay H6.

Actually, there is no difference in the speaker specifications of the 2 versions, the 2nd generation will play at the same volume level as the 1st generation.

Wishing you a lovely weekend.

Kind regards,
Ina Bang Andersen (Ms) | Customer Service

I listen to the 1Generaton at work compering to the 2Generation i own and can hear no difference in volume or sound quality.
Only difference is the head strap is a bit bigger in the 2Generation but not much.
And the earcaps are more polished so it is a bit more dust resistant.

Thats a relief to people like me! My last possible return date was yesterday and now I am stuck 'happily' with V1.!

Apr 19, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #825 of 2,875
^If they did not change the driver....Did they change the cushions in V2?
Did they change anything in airflow / bassport since people say they sound so different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back