Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Apr 12, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #796 of 2,875
  yes, sure. maybe i compare the different price range.

Thats what I first thought about Bang and Olufsen. I too thought they were just 'luxury' stuff, with no substance. I must admit, with H6 I WAS TOTALLY WRONG BIGTIME! To me its has the right balance, between great sound, practicality and styling. I have other headphones which sounds better than it, but not by a huge margin. But as an overall package, this is my regular commuter. (I dont listen to headphones at home !) By the way, I am not a fan of their hifi much, as I have room for bigger speakers :wink: which might cost less and sound better. 

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #797 of 2,875
  SE = Special Edition or Second Edition here? If its Second edition its possible! If you meant Special Edition(some weird good coloured first gen), I think you should try an amp for knowing the difference. I was adviced by another forum member to give it time, and try amping.. and it worked. On the first day, I thought I downgraded from my previous headphone(AKG K551, which are retired now as they are not for travel, but still they sound good!). Amping them with FiiO E12 gave me more midbass, and body to the sound. Now my drums are bigger! Also, overall it sounds more 'controlled'. By the way I have 2 idevices at home, an iPhone 5 and an iPad air 2. Both sounded decent, but not as close to my xduoo x3 -> E12 combo. :) By the way, I only got these to upgrade myself from a weirdo looking person travelling with K551, and wasnt expecting much, but now I don't regret the decision :)

It's a Special Edition, gen. 1 looking at the included cable. I've seen what looks to be generation 2 Special Editions listed on their website, giving me something to think about for a future purchase.

Here's something interesting. The volume has somewhat decreased, but the bass has increased. That may have also been the treble evening out(I'm not a good audiophile
redface.gif
). I also changed cables and those made a difference too. One cable added volume, when the volume started to decrease. Some of this makes me wonder if maybe these weren't burned in because I'm getting better sound(by my standards) today than any other day. I tried a portable amp but it wasn't a powerful one, so the increase wasn't worth it IMO. I probably do need to get a decent amp like the one you have.

But most of my audio will be through smartphones, tablets, or laptops. Not top of the line sources for audio, I know. Plus I need something for commutes. So anything I'm using has to be compatible with mobility requirements. So far, I'm becoming a convert to these anyway, even without the proper equipment(amps, good stereo, etc.).

Apr 12, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #798 of 2,875

It's a Special Edition, gen. 1 looking at the included cable. I've seen what looks to be generation 2 Special Editions listed on their website, giving me something to think about for a future purchase.

Here's something interesting. The volume has somewhat decreased, but the bass has increased. That may have also been the treble evening out(I'm not a good audiophile
redface.gif
). I also changed cables and those made a difference too. One cable added volume, when the volume started to decrease. Some of this makes me wonder if maybe these weren't burned in because I'm getting better sound(by my standards) today than any other day. I tried a portable amp but it wasn't a powerful one, so the increase wasn't worth it IMO. I probably do need to get a decent amp like the one you have.

But most of my audio will be through smartphones, tablets, or laptops. Not top of the line sources for audio, I know. Plus I need something for commutes. So anything I'm using has to be compatible with mobility requirements. So far, I'm becoming a convert to these anyway, even without the proper equipment(amps, good stereo, etc.).

E12 has decent amout of power which the H6 needs,(High gain mode) I wish I had a player which can throw that power! (I hate stacking!, as I always need to carry a 'messenger' bag in which the source is hidden when I walk around.)

Apr 12, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #799 of 2,875
Apr 13, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #800 of 2,875

"I must admit, with H6 I WAS TOTALLY WRONG BIGTIME! To me its has the right balance, between great sound, practicality and styling. I have other headphones which sounds better than it, but not by a huge margin. But as an overall package, this is my regular commuter."

I cannot agree more; My H6 2nd has become the favorite getting the most attentions amongst my cans including the PM-3.

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #801 of 2,875
  yes, sure. maybe i compare the different price range.

Different as in cheaper or more expensive?

You can get H6 as low as £158 (if you based in EU), what other headphones you have listened are better in similar price range?

Apr 13, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #802 of 2,875
  to be honest....b&o...i think it is only for looking not hearing..

Both the H7 and the H6(even with the SE color flash)are the least flashy of the headphones that I own. With the possible exception of one set, but even that one stands out due to it's design. And both the Beoplays sound great.

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #803 of 2,875
The H6 looks like a fashion headphone, but they are dead serious technical marvels inside.  My experience A-Bing my H6 against the PM-3 was apples vs oranges:  the Oppos couldn`t come close to the naturalness, balance and precision of the B&O, and the B&O are cheaper, smaller and fit (me) better.   I like the new Beyer T5p V2 slightly better, but they`re three times the price and twice as bulky.   

I feel the H6 is the best audiophile bang-for-buck in closed headphones.  

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #804 of 2,875
  The H6 looks like a fashion headphone, but they are dead serious technical marvels inside.  My experience A-Bing my H6 against the PM-3 was apples vs oranges:  the Oppos couldn`t come close to the naturalness, balance and precision of the B&O, and the B&O are cheaper, smaller and fit (me) better.   I like the new Beyer T5p V2 slightly better, but they`re three times the price and twice as bulky.   

I feel the H6 is the best audiophile bang-for-buck in closed headphones.  

Which is better for EDM/contemporary music in your opinion? Beyer T5P 2nd gen or H6 2nd gen?

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #805 of 2,875
  Which is better for EDM/contemporary music in your opinion? Beyer T5P 2nd gen or H6 2nd gen?

The new T5p v2 is really really good, IMO.  I had the original T5p, then the better AKT5p.  After careful demoing, I feel the V2 is slightly better than the AK version, (and has removable cables).  The T5p series is essentially `more headphone` than the H6, basically in another league.  

I listen to a lot of electronica, Massive Attack, Morcheeba, the like.  Both the `phones are great, but in a quiet room, comfortable chair, the T5p V2 bests the H6 easily, for soundstage, imaging, detail.  However, in a comfortable chair quiet room, I`d take an open headphone over closed, or my speaker system.  Moving around, or in a less-quiet environment, the sonic superiority of the beyer gets lost and out and about its bulk is problematic, whereas the H6 is low-profile and folds to lay flat around the neck or in a bag.  

Given the price differential, it`s hard to consider the T5P v2 and H6 as an either-or choice.  

Apr 15, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #806 of 2,875
  The new T5p v2 is really really good, IMO.  I had the original T5p, then the better AKT5p.  After careful demoing, I feel the V2 is slightly better than the AK version, (and has removable cables).  The T5p series is essentially `more headphone` than the H6, basically in another league.  

I listen to a lot of electronica, Massive Attack, Morcheeba, the like.  Both the `phones are great, but in a quiet room, comfortable chair, the T5p V2 bests the H6 easily, for soundstage, imaging, detail.  However, in a comfortable chair quiet room, I`d take an open headphone over closed, or my speaker system.  Moving around, or in a less-quiet environment, the sonic superiority of the beyer gets lost and out and about its bulk is problematic, whereas the H6 is low-profile and folds to lay flat around the neck or in a bag.  

Given the price differential, it`s hard to consider the T5P v2 and H6 as an either-or choice.  

I have no doubt T5p is better than H6, but it is nearly 4 times the price in Europe...

Agreed with what you said, the bulkyness is always an issue for T5p. Can be quite weird to wear that in a crowded train or transport :p

By the way, is the T5p v2 more efficient that H6?

Apr 16, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #807 of 2,875

Now having both these headphone I mostly agree with your assessment, except I didn't really like AKT5p, I thought they had too much bass. One thing I like in H6 better than T5p.2 is there is less midbass which becomes very noticeable on some tracks where vocals sound very clear on H6 but are slightly overshadowed by bass on T5p.2. It's not really a big deal, I still love T5p.2, I may just have a bit of play with eq to better suite it my preferences.

Apr 16, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #808 of 2,875

Now having both these headphone I mostly agree with your assessment, except I didn't really like AKT5p, I thought they had too much bass. One thing I like in H6 better than T5p.2 is there is less midbass which becomes very noticeable on some tracks where vocals sound very clear on H6 but are slightly overshadowed by bass on T5p.2. It's not really a big deal, I still love T5p.2, I may just have a bit of play with eq to better suite it my preferences.

Thanks for your impressions. T5P.2 having more midbass means it's more suited to EDM and pop music.

Apr 16, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #809 of 2,875

Thanks for your impressions. T5P.2 having more midbass means it's more suited to EDM and pop music.

Matter of taste I suppose. T5p.2 are overall balanced headphone, maybe more so than H6, I just prefer mids more forward. You may still find T5p.2 don't have enough bass although to me they have just the right amount of it.

Apr 16, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #810 of 2,875
  Matter of taste I suppose. T5p.2 are overall balanced headphone, maybe more so than H6, I just prefer mids more forward. You may still find T5p.2 don't have enough bass although to me they have just the right amount of it.

You might want to try Oppo PM-3 if you want forward mids, I've always found it shouty but you might like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back