Bands/artists you secretly like...
Apr 19, 2002 at 4:54 AM Post #61 of 91
"Nights on Broadway" is actually a really good song...though I would love to hear it at the proper speed...

Apr 19, 2002 at 6:41 PM Post #62 of 91
I don't think it's should be embarrased to like certain artist that critics dislikes, I like Madonna, Alicia Keys, Shania Twain, and even Christina Aquliera ! But who cares, my friends giggles when I told them but I said it's my money and my HiFi, an I want to play what i want on it.

Oh, that's not all I listen to.........there's also Led zepplin, Whitney Houston, Sheryl Crow, The Beatles and have know to play Britney Spears once in a while!
eek.gif

Apr 19, 2002 at 7:39 PM Post #63 of 91
OK, Ill play,
I like the he Bulgarian Womens Choir, the first Madonna album, B52s, Devo, Uh...dare I say it Nsync (i took my daughter to a concert last year and really enjoyed it!) Nikka Cost, Macy Gray, and Guns N Roses...I better stop or Ill be singing show tunes soon... oh yea, that reminds me... Uta Lemper

Apr 20, 2002 at 4:18 AM Post #64 of 91
Insecurity is not uncommon unfortunately. My guess is people generally don't really know what they like. In order to avoid embarassment, they fully absorb outside influences and fool themselves into believing those influences. Society sucks, creates too many conformists. If you want to know more about psychological slavery, just hollar at ai0tron and he'll be sure to give you a thorough explaination.
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2002 at 3:44 AM Post #65 of 91
Yeah sure. I agree.

Not much you can do BUT be afflicted by outside influences however. If you intend to make any kind attempt at finding a new artist you are going to subject yourself to outside influences. Music itself is an outside influence, hearing a single song is going to affect your taste in music from that day forth.

True, yes, some people fall into the vein of conformity or into the vein of conformity through non-conformity. But the fact that you listen to and enjoy music is sign of conformity. IMO, music is a powerfull apparatus of social control. The fact that millions of people go to Rage Against the Machine concerts and millions of people choose not to rage against the machine I feel is a good example of my point. As much as you want to believe otherwise, music is pacifying you by soothing, offering a release, or offering some other kind of stimulation. Specifically, musical events like big rockin concerts.

What I am trying to say is that it is pretty much impossible for you to like music PURELY for your own reasons. I have bought plenty of music because my friends had it, etc. I have purchased indie bands, and some foreign artists for the reason that they are what they are and then as a side effect they made good music also. Everytime you buy a cd you are showing the effect of the mathematical programming that has been imprinted into your mind throughout your existence.

Good luck trying to get to the bottom of what it is you buy because you really 'like' it and not for some other reason! And I say 'like' because it's not even possible for you to 'like' something. All you can do is combine the programmed 'thoughts' in your mind to create a sensation which society has told you means you should buy/create/steal the object in question. And if you think you can just 'like' something you aren't thinking hard enough about the depth of the scenario.

So Machine Head, find the sonic equation which pushes the numbers into the slots of your mind that make that little gland click on and give you a chemical high.

But, like Dusty told me once, even if we are robots, we do make decisions, and that implies a meaning of some sort, but recognizing on what level we make decisions can be deceptive.

And by the way, an asteroid is on a collision course with Earth due to hit in the year 2880 or sometime in that century. So assuming we make it to that time, which we probably won't, let's hope we have the technology to save our asses. And if we can't do it, well I guess all our existences will just have to accept being made utterly meaningless...

We will just have to hope that someday, the radio waves from our planet are found and deciphered and our history is made known to another species so our existence can be meaningful if only to give them one shred of knowledge and thus imprint our existence on their mass consciousness forever.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound?

Apr 21, 2002 at 4:06 AM Post #66 of 91
eek.gif

UFO : "Force It".

I am an old fart who loves classical. But I love this LP.
Playing this and Bryan Ferry's "Boys and Girls" can make
a good drunk.

Apr 21, 2002 at 6:16 AM Post #68 of 91
I actually agree with a lot of what you wrote, before you got to that part about programming (as I've mentioned before, not an existentialist, and won't beat a dead horse into drinking water). But inasmuch as programming is applicable in "influencing" one's tastes, you are straight on.

But there's got to be something else. Why would stuff we think that we do not like get stuck in our brains, like Britney and Barry Manilow? There's got to be another level of "programming", don't you think?
Quote:

Originally posted by ai0tron
True, yes, some people fall into the vein of conformity or into the vein of conformity through non-conformity.

I've been through both of these phases. The second one in over-compensation for the first, and there's a third phase -- overcompensating yet again, by listening to pop-music. And, of course, there's a fourth phase, and so on, until one reaches true objectivity, but I would posit that one would not be able to enjoy listening to music if one were to achieve that state, so I'll let it be. Quote:

And if you think you can just 'like' something you aren't thinking hard enough about the depth of the scenario.

This is actually quite profound. There's actually another level of chasing one's own tail here. What about "overthinking" it? You can try very hard to like something without the external influences, but then you might catch yourself analyzing those outside influences. So you try very hard not to think about them, or is that not the answer? Would it be easier to avoid the external influences through knowledge of them, or through ignorance of them? Quote:

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound?

Yes.

Apr 21, 2002 at 6:37 AM Post #69 of 91
I think for teenagers the conformity factor really stands out. Just about every kid wants to fit into a group so they'll propel themselves in which direction they want to be in, whether its goth, pop, metal, or rap. I think those are the four main genres for kids. From their it may branch out as those teens age into their twenties and are less likely to feel pressured into comforming with any given group. I'm sure i conformed to listening to rock and metal in my teens, but before then i really didnt have anyone trying to force anything on me, or subject me to hours of rock music so i listened to whatever was on the radio.

Apr 21, 2002 at 5:43 PM Post #72 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by Driftwood
Re: what's the sound of one hand clapping? hmm?

Define "clapping". Merriam-Webster says this:

1 : to strike (as two flat hard surfaces) together so as to produce a sharp percussive noise
2 a : to strike (the hands) together repeatedly usually in applause b : APPLAUD
3 : to strike with the flat of the hand in a friendly way <clapped his friend on the shoulder>
[others, less appropriate, deleted]

I presume you mean either the first or the second definition, and definitely not the third. If so, it is not impossible to strike the palm of your hand with your fingers, although it does not make as impressive a sound (not as much "visceral impact"). One can also clap against one's thigh for instance.

Yes, I can render almost any zen question boring.

Apr 22, 2002 at 2:17 AM Post #74 of 91
Nuff said.

BTW: Gotta LOVE Rage Against the Machine! Harvard educated whiny boys talkin' bout how the world is all corporate and evil and GLOBAL.... but they preach that message through the channels of their record company.... SONY!

Kids... they crack me up.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back