Bands/artists you secretly like...
Apr 22, 2002 at 11:17 AM Post #76 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
But there's got to be something else. Why would stuff we think that we do not like get stuck in our brains, like Britney and Barry Manilow? There's got to be another level of "programming", don't you think?

FWIW: It is considered medical/biological "fact" that every sound we hear, sight we see, smell we smell, taste we taste, and touch we feel is PERMANATELY engrained in our brain. Recall of these "memories" is determined by training, outside "triggers", and recall of other memories that are associated with them.

Freshmen scream in the classroom,
was there a sound?
First degree of the vacume,
I'm on college ground.

- Steve Taylor

Apr 22, 2002 at 11:22 AM Post #77 of 91
Quote:

Define "clapping". Merriam-Webster says this:

1 : to strike (as two flat hard surfaces) together so as to produce a sharp percussive noise
2 a : to strike (the hands) together repeatedly usually in applause b : APPLAUD
3 : to strike with the flat of the hand in a friendly way <clapped his friend on the shoulder>
[others, less appropriate, deleted]

I presume you mean either the first or the second definition, and definitely not the third. If so, it is not impossible to strike the palm of your hand with your fingers, although it does not make as impressive a sound (not as much "visceral impact"). One can also clap against one's thigh for instance.

Yes, I can render almost any zen question boring.

I got the clap.

Apr 23, 2002 at 4:52 AM Post #78 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio Redneck
FWIW: It is considered medical/biological "fact" that every sound we hear, sight we see, smell we smell, taste we taste, and touch we feel is PERMANATELY engrained in our brain.

Ack! You mean I have the entire Abba catalog in my head somewhere? I need therapy! Or a frontal lobotomy. (My sister used to be a big fan.)

Wait a minute, are you talking about this "under hypnosis" stuff? Methinks...I mean, I am still a skeptic about that. How does one know one is not making those memories up?

Maybe I just need a bottle in front of me, kill those Abba memory cells.

Apr 23, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #79 of 91
Quote:

Maybe I just need a bottle in front of me, kill those Abba memory cells.

how'd that song go (memory cells from college engaging):

....a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotamy....

but I digress....anyway, yep, they're in there somewhere waiting for "Jung and the Restless" to jog them out. But keep in mind that I'm just a know-it-all-redneck-computer-geek and not a doctor or pshrink. I just remember all the lectures about what a great data recorder the brain is and what an increadible storage medium it would make.

Talking about "made up" memories gets back to the recall mechanism and how well it works (some folks' works better than others). My take on it is that ifyou don't recall, or really don't know something, the brain might start adding info that it thinks fits. But I'm getting close to the point of adding info as I think I've exhaused my knowlege of the subject.
tongue.gif

Some days I wish I'd slept through those Psych classes.
eek.gif

May 2, 2002 at 6:08 AM Post #80 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin

eek.gif
Wow, thought I was the only person here who liked Vitamin C!

vitaminc.jpg

May 2, 2002 at 1:45 PM Post #82 of 91
...related to the first post on down:

bluecoat.jpg

srapps55: I am a Boy George/Culture Club historian and collector. I think I have a used Orpheus' worth of collectibles and personal items, probably more.

Here is some info and music:

George recently published a macrobiotic cookbook in 2001 in the UK which has sold well (here are some pics):

karma1.jpg

karma2.jpg

Since 2001, he's been releasing DJ albums...here's the one that has been his most popular, so far:

artmaincd_boygeorge.jpg

The big Boy news these days is his new musical, Taboo, playing right now in London's West End:

taboowithgeorge.jpg

He wrote it and it is doing really good. The play is about the New Romantic scene in London in the late seventies/early eighties and he is even acting in it as Leigh Bowery for the next couple of weeks.

Culture Club came out with an album, "Don't Mind If I Do" in 2000. Here are two short samples:

See Thru (255 k)

and

Cold Shoulder (300 k)

Here is one Boy George solo song from 1997:

Love Is Leaving (1 MB)

Now you're up to date!

Audio Redneck: Terence Trent D'Arby rules. Have you checked out his latest album (Wildcard)? You can get samples from ttdpromotion.com .

Here's a song from Terence Trent D'Arby's new record:

Why Are Some Birds Blue? (3MB)

- Matt

p.s. please note: this is a legal download, as it is owned by the artist and was offered as a freely available download. Also, the prior samples are all cut short, so as not to violate anything beyond fair use.

May 2, 2002 at 7:49 PM Post #84 of 91
Quote:

Just about every kid wants to fit into a group so they'll propel themselves in which direction they want to be in, whether its goth, pop, metal, or rap. I think those are the four main genres for kids.

It's a good thing you said "just about," cuz if you hadn't, I would've gone on a long rant.

Concerning what ai0tron said about conforming through non-conformism - THAT IRRITATES ME SO MUCH!

Gah..............like the kids who die their hair weird colors and then hang out together........to be "different."

May 3, 2002 at 3:10 AM Post #85 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
Concerning what ai0tron said about conforming through non-conformism - THAT IRRITATES ME SO MUCH!

vij, I'm confused, are you irritated because you agree with the notion, or because you disagree with the notion?

May 4, 2002 at 11:14 PM Post #86 of 91
What was the theme of this thread? Was it psychology 101?
I secretly like Boy George and everbody knows it.
I also like Quarter Flash, and The Captain & Tennille. In fact I thought it was kinda cool that my wife and I got married in the same chapel as The Captain & Tennille.
Glen Cambell-Wichita Lineman is on my all time favorites list, as is John Anderson- Seminole Wind. These are not secrets to any one I know, because it keeps them from thinking they know me too well. How do you explain Motley Crue and John Anderson on the same CD? I used to love that John Anderson song "Swingin" but only because it pissed off my ex-wife so much. She left and so did the song.
What do you psychologists think of that?

May 6, 2002 at 4:07 PM Post #87 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
...What do you psychologists think of that?

Your Nuts!

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!!
biggrin.gif

Seminole Wind is a great song! As an FYI, TNN is supposed to be comming out with re-runs of the Glen Campbel Show in a few months. (it was a hit show for several years)

May 6, 2002 at 7:34 PM Post #88 of 91
Hell, I was into quite a few hair-metal bands in my day (Crue, Def Leppard, Tesla)...no embarassment on that front...but...I must admit I'm a fan of George Michael's. That's it, I'm out of the closet and into the public washroom :wink: .

May 6, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #89 of 91
Dusty: I disagree.......after all, the point is to non-conform...not to conform by doing the opposite of the majority and thereby joining a nearly as large "minority"..............

May 6, 2002 at 9:54 PM Post #90 of 91
...all George Michael CD's, "Songs from the Last Century" is vocally sibilant, but WHAT an album. Anyone heard it? After listening to jazz-tinged GM songs like "Kissing A Fool," etc., I've always wanted to have a GM jazz-only record and he finally gave me that record with SFTLC.

Check it out if you have not.

Best,
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back