BAM!! ATH-M50's go up to $145!!
Dec 14, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #46 of 122

True.  The M50s I bought were from a fellow Head-Fi'er, and if I didn't know any better, would have thought they were brand new.  Yet, I got them for only around $80.

Really guys, if you absolutely HAVE TO HAVE one, just buy from the several Head-Fi'ers that have them available in the "For Sale" section for $95 or less, shipped.   They're usually pretty mint.

Quote:
Quote:
With all the time wasted trying to hunt down a "$110 seller" that has the M50s in stock, think that if you'd have been willing to pay $140 with free shipping, you'd have them by now.

Or you could wait for them to pop up on here.  Have seen a few up here recently around $95

Dec 15, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #47 of 122

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The M50 is not for head-fiers and wasn't designed with us in mind. It's a studio phone with a head-fi following. If you have a studio, then $150 is not a big deal. Now they may have raised prices just to see if they can because of the holidays and might leave them that way until the new year. People were paying $150-200 for these on head-fi 2 years ago. And I disagree that there are better options even at $150 or $200.

there are better option depending on preference on what you like.  At that price, they be up even with the price of such as srh840, 750dj, some beyers, and the lower denons or a little more even the d2000 if you have an amp already.  I'm sure it can some what hold itself against these guys, but it would be as such of a great value to performance ratio.  You don't usually see people recommending the M50 over these guys very often unless price is an issue.  This is just what I been noticing.  If you see someone requesting something good for under $200, the M50 is not really what they recommend.

That's only because people vastly underestimate how good the M50 is, and because of the idea that $100 cans can't complete with headphones twice the price. The Denons are in many ways crappy basshead cans in comparision to the M50, with their recessed mids, slightly boomy bass and lack of treble, so I don't see why the M50 isn't better than the D2000 if you are not a basshead. The DT770 is even worse, I wouldn't recommend it over the D2000 in the first place. The SRH840 is a much closer fight but I'll still give the edge to the M50 for its more balanced sound, although I think many will prefer the SRH840 for the detectable cable, stronger mids and more comfortable pads.

You got to be kidding me?  The D2000 is no worst of a basshead headphone than the M50.  In matter of fact I find the m50 bass more of a basshead headphone than the d2000.(currently have both of them right here).  I understand the M50 are very competitive headphones, but I'm not totally clear if they are as good,  or not as the popular $150 to $200.  That's why I say, I am interested in seeing how they hold up, although in my opinion they are not $200 dollar good.  Only time will tell.  Oh and let me know when you buy them for more than $200
wink.gif

Shipley:  I do agree with you price does not mean better quality, but it also means a stiffer competition between headphones.  As in, higher in price just means the higher in the line of  headphones at a particular manufacture.  For example, for $50 dollars you will see the M30's and for $100ish you will see the M50 and manufacture usually tries to make the M50 better than the M30.  This does not mean the lower price line of another manufacture can not compete against the higher models of the first man., it just means a stiffer competition. The message I was implying on before is that the higher the price market goes for the M50, the more weight it has to carry for it's performance. My prediction is that it can not hold itself higher than $200 if not slightly less, but again we will see as I am only one person and can't predict the future.  I am curious because I like the M50 a lot and would like to see what potential/value it has with market.  Although I don't know if I will see that because this probable just a temporary price increase for the holidays.

Dec 15, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #48 of 122

Quote:
Is this only for the M50?  I want the M50S-which is the straight cable version not the coiled.  I feel like there are far less of the S versions out there.  Anybody know who sells the S version?

the straight version has an 11ft cable.  if you're planning on using this outside your house, I'm thinking that 11ft cable will be pretty annoying :D

Quote:
With all the time wasted trying to hunt down a "$110 seller" that has the M50s in stock, think that if you'd have been willing to pay $140 with free shipping, you'd have them by now.

+1 to this.  I've already wasted 2 weeks ordering/waiting/cancelling.  If geartree.com doesn't pull through, I'm getting me a $150 one

Dec 15, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #49 of 122
All I can say is thank you Head-fi for showing NO interest in my absolutely mint condition M50 I had listed in the FS forums for $90 about 2 weeks ago. I sold them on ebay for $140. I'm sure the buyer will be pleased when he receives it, as locally the M50 sells for $200 to $300, and the item I sold was literally in brand new condition.

For people wanting to save some pennies, look in the FS forums! There are absolute bargains to be had there!

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #51 of 122

Quote:
All I can say is thank you Head-fi for showing NO interest in my absolutely mint condition M50 I had listed in the FS forums for $90 about 2 weeks ago. I sold them on ebay for $140. I'm sure the buyer will be pleased when he receives it, as locally the M50 sells for $200 to $300, and the item I sold was literally in brand new condition.

For people wanting to save some pennies, look in the FS forums! There are absolute bargains to be had there!

I woulda picked them up, but I didn't see them 
frown.gif

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #52 of 122
And now, quite randomly in fact, American Musical raised the M50 price to $129.95 (or $130). So....because I was on 'ore-order' or the 'out of stock' list, I'm wondering if they are going to charge me $130 instead of the original $109.

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #54 of 122
I was really hoping to grab a pair of M50s to complement the AD700s I'm getting (should be here today!).  But I may just have to go for an extended honeymoon with the AD700s, and wait to see if pricing on the M50s settles back down after month or two...

Dec 16, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #55 of 122

Quote:
And now, quite randomly in fact, American Musical raised the M50 price to $129.95 (or $130). So....because I was on 'ore-order' or the 'out of stock' list, I'm wondering if they are going to charge me $130 instead of the original $109.

If they're still on backorder, just cancel it.  I did the same thing and they cancelled it literally 15 mins after I sent them an email.

then order them from BH.  They're still at $109 and they're now in stock (as of 2pm est)

geartree.com also have them in stock now, but costs $10 more.  I ordered mine from them 2 days ago for $113 (because BH was still out) and got the shipping/tracking info yesterday.  I think it's arriving tomorrow or on saturday :D

Dec 16, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #56 of 122
Get it from b&h (it's the coil version that is in stock) good price and good seller.

Dec 16, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #57 of 122
Clearly Audio-Technica should become a Head-Fi sponsor. I don't think I've ever seen a single AT headphone before that's been as widely recommended as the M50 and has been sold-out almost everywhere for a while now.
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #59 of 122
I can wait guys. I know it's not American Musical's fault. I'm guessing B&H is closer to the Audio technica factory/shipping area and got it's supply first. Who knows. If American musical doesn't get some headphones in a day or two, I'll cancel my order.

And guess what? BAM!! ATH-M50's go up to $199!!  (on Amazon, check it out)

Dec 16, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #60 of 122
ouch...nobody willing to sell their ath-m50's for $11? (no highballers, even one cent)

pm me with any offers

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back