BAM!! ATH-M50's go up to $145!!
Dec 14, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #31 of 122

Quote:
I obviously meant if you like the M50...there are few if any competitors, at any price point. I think the 750DJ is about the only one that is as portable and easily driven with similar sound quality.

Agreed, this is a good alternative for the M50's. 
Im considering buying them on my next purchase. 

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #35 of 122

Quote:
American musical supply have M50's on stock for a nice price. 

They're actually out of stock too.  I ordered from them yesterday but I cancelled it a few hours ago because I didn't want to wait :D

For anyone who's interested, I emailed most of the "$109" sellers about their ETA and here's what I got:

SameDayMusic - They're expecting a shipment of ath-m50s to arrive on 12/17
zZounds - no ETA
AmericanMusicSupply - Was expecting shipments for 11/25 and 12/08 but they didn't arrive.  Expecting another one for 12/18
BH - two to three weeks

If anyone's looking to buy ath-m50s, geartree.com seems to have them for $113 (no out of stock message on product page).  I ordered mine from them a few hours ago.  I did also email them to ask about their stock, I'm just waiting for their reply

also, just out of curiousity, I emailed audio technica about this, also still waiting on a reply :D

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #36 of 122

Quote:
Quote:
American musical supply have M50's on stock for a nice price. 

They're actually out of stock too.  I ordered from them yesterday but I cancelled it a few hours ago because I didn't want to wait :D

For anyone who's interested, I emailed most of the "$109" sellers about their ETA and here's what I got:

SameDayMusic - They're expecting a shipment of ath-m50s to arrive on 12/17
zZounds - no ETA
AmericanMusicSupply - Was expecting shipments for 11/25 and 12/08 but they didn't arrive.  Expecting another one for 12/18
BH - two to three weeks

If anyone's looking to buy ath-m50s, geartree.com seems to have them for $113 (no out of stock message on product page).  I ordered mine from them a few hours ago.  I did also email them to ask about their stock, I'm just waiting for their reply

also, just out of curiousity, I emailed audio technica about this, also still waiting on a reply :D

Keep us updated!!

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #37 of 122
This is the OP. And I ended up ordering some M50's from American Musical on the 9th. I noticed a few things, they were out of stock. I sent them an email asking the expected date to which they would come in, and this is what I got:

[size=x-small]Hello ********,[/size]

[size=x-small]Thank you for your email. We are expecting them in any day now.  The manufacturer had given us an expected date of 12-9-10.  Once we have them in we will ship the orders out.  Standard ground shipping is 3-5 business days.[/size]

[size=x-small]Thanks again,[/size]

[size=x-small]Matt[/size]

So, they said they were receiving them the same day I ordered them. BUT, I check the day after (the 10th), and their website clearly states that the M50's will arrive on the 18th!! So, I send another email to see what's up, and no response.

Yesterday I called in to ask about it, the employee I talked to explained how Audio Technica had kept giving them dates and failing to ship the phones over and over. They gave them a date in November, December 4th, December 9th, and now December 18th. Apparently this is the case on EVERY site selling the headphones at the original price. People who have the phones at $150 seem perfectly OK with their stock....

Hmmm, my only conclusion is that audio technica is screwing with the companies (who have already bought orders at $100 a piece) so that it can sell them for $150 (on sites with newer purchase contracts) as long as they can during the holiday season.

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #38 of 122
Another thing is that American musical sold SO MANY M50's that they surpassed their original order. So anyone who ordered after that happened will not get their headphones until another order can be placed and shipped.

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #39 of 122

Quote:
Quote:
The M50 is not for head-fiers and wasn't designed with us in mind. It's a studio phone with a head-fi following. If you have a studio, then $150 is not a big deal. Now they may have raised prices just to see if they can because of the holidays and might leave them that way until the new year. People were paying $150-200 for these on head-fi 2 years ago. And I disagree that there are better options even at $150 or $200.

there are better option depending on preference on what you like.  At that price, they be up even with the price of such as srh840, 750dj, some beyers, and the lower denons or a little more even the d2000 if you have an amp already.  I'm sure it can some what hold itself against these guys, but it would be as such of a great value to performance ratio.  You don't usually see people recommending the M50 over these guys very often unless price is an issue.  This is just what I been noticing.  If you see someone requesting something good for under $200, the M50 is not really what they recommend.

That's only because people vastly underestimate how good the M50 is, and because of the idea that $100 cans can't complete with headphones twice the price. The Denons are in many ways crappy basshead cans in comparision to the M50, with their recessed mids, slightly boomy bass and lack of treble, so I don't see why the M50 isn't better than the D2000 if you are not a basshead. The DT770 is even worse, I wouldn't recommend it over the D2000 in the first place. The SRH840 is a much closer fight but I'll still give the edge to the M50 for its more balanced sound, although I think many will prefer the SRH840 for the detectable cable, stronger mids and more comfortable pads.

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #40 of 122
Is this only for the M50?  I want the M50S-which is the straight cable version not the coiled.  I feel like there are far less of the S versions out there.  Anybody know who sells the S version?

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #41 of 122
I agree with scytheavatar, price does not equate improved quality in many many cases. 

delux, I don't know. Why do you want the straight cable? It would be super long and annoying IMO.

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #43 of 122
Well, he could be like me, and find coiled cables annoying.  I always prefer straight cable.  Coiled cables remind me of old telephone handset cords from the 1970s.

Quote:
I agree with scytheavatar, price does not equate improved quality in many many cases. 

delux, I don't know. Why do you want the straight cable? It would be super long and annoying IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back