Balanced
Jul 11, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #16 of 50
It's your money and your time.
I believe in science, you believe in your ears.
To each his own.
Auditory memory is so poor that I don't trust my ears for A/B comparisons anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having ears, I hear the benefit in running balanced.

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #17 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly.
Having a strong electrical engineering background, I see no purpose in running headphones balanced at all.

This isn't the place to bring up such an idea, Philco
wink.gif

This is an audiophile forum, and the effects of different equipment can be very subjective. I haven't heard anything near as high-end as a balanced rig before, and while I share your doubts regarding the improvements that going balanced can give, there are many who swear by it.

You might be interested in the rightmost link in my signature, which discusses several [size=xx-small]myths, er,[/size] [size=medium]FACTS[/size] that are central to the audiophile community.

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #18 of 50
I know, but I couldn't refrain from doing it.
Being on such audiophile forums gets me so angry about this kind of thing that it might explode in anger at any time. I think I'll take a break of this community before it happens.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by espire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This isn't the place to bring up such an idea, Philco
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #20 of 50
Quote:

I know, but I couldn't refrain from doing it.
Being on such audiophile forums gets me so angry about this kind of thing that it might explode in anger at any time. I think I'll take a break of this community before it happens.
biggrin.gif

There's going to be an objectivist forum opening here soon titled "I, Objectivist," and it can't open soon enough
tongue.gif

I expect to see you there!
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #21 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by espire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's going to be an objectivist forum opening here soon titled "I, Objectivist," and it can't open soon enough
tongue.gif

I expect to see you there!
biggrin.gif

LOL...touche...

@Audio-Omega -you don't HAVE to, but it would make sense to me...CDP with balanced output, all the way down the chain to your phones, or else, why bother?

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #22 of 50
Almost all professional recording and playback gear with analog interconnects run balanced with XLR connectors.

But I believe this is for immunity to various types of RF interference and electrical noise over long cable runs (as opposed to sound quality).

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #23 of 50
There are lots of good valid theoretical reasons why balanced works in addition to noise reduction. Dismissing something because you don't get it is your right, but also your loss.

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #24 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it necessary to balance the source as well ?

Yup, if you want all the benefits of true-balanced differential operation. If the source is digital, that means there should be at least 4 discrete DACs in there (2 in each channel, 1 each creating the positive and negative).

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How was I incorrect, other than trying to give a "simplified" answer?

@ the OP - no problem, glad I can help. I know it's all confusing at first, and you get a lot of contradictory and/or non-answers or plain opinion based on nothing...hang in there
smily_headphones1.gif

Your answer refered to balanced interconnects, not to balanced headphonecabling.
A balanced heaphone cable uses no ground wires and is not used to make the connection "interference immune".

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #26 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it necessary to balance the source as well ?

No.
Most (not all!) balanced amplifiers accept single ended input and create the inverse signal for you.
I tested if I could hear the difference between balanced signal input and single ended input: I could hear no difference.

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #27 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your answer refered to balanced interconnects, not to balanced headphonecabling.
A balanced heaphone cable uses no ground wires and is not used to make the connection "interference immune".

Yeah, I took a broader approach beyond the scope of the actual question...I was thinking he meant "balanced" in a broader sense.

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #28 of 50
Quote:

Having ears, I hear the benefit in running balanced.

lol

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #29 of 50
The technical reasons I've read so far about balanced drive (and upgrading cables) on many websites don't hold up at all IMO. All this noise immunity and common ground crosstalk thing especially really don't make sense to me.

Quote:

There are lots of good valid theoretical reasons why balanced works in addition to noise reduction. Dismissing something because you don't get it is your right, but also your loss.

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #30 of 50
Quote:

The technical reasons I've read so far about balanced drive (and upgrading cables) on many websites don't hold up at all IMO. All this noise immunity and common ground crosstalk thing especially really don't make sense to me.

Ignorance is bliss, eh?
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back