Balanced
Jul 11, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #46 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by espire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't you think that's a bit overly aggressive, in addition to being more of a flame than advice?
confused.gif

No.
It is well meant and (I am sure you agree) appropriate advice.
If he ever wants a fruitful discussion I think he should heed it.

Jul 11, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #47 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are right that some of the primary theoretical differences might be difficult to hear in practice, but the theory is still borne out in practice, however subtle. Have you EVER even HEARD a balanced amp?

I'm wondering the same thing.

I know atleast I'm a believer for balanced re-cabling. I've AB'd Balanced and single ended HD650's; both old and new version. Setup goes:
Meridian 808 > Benchmark DAC > B-52 > HD650

They "sound" different, and to my ears they changed for the better. I can't remember the exact characteristics but if I can some it up in a word it's more "refined".

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #48 of 50
I don't see how his comment is disrespectfull tbh, but english isn't my first language. Anyway it seems like a fair discussion, but lets stick to the aguments
tongue.gif
, continue...!

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #49 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Condescending isn't being respectful any more than being aggressive is. This isn't about "belief". The increase in speed and power is measurable and documented. Having two amps working together isn't voodoo. Whether you think it's a worthwhile task is completely up to you but some of the great values in headphone amplification are balanced amps.

Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No.
It is well meant and (I am sure you agree) appropriate advice.
If he ever wants a fruitful discussion I think he should heed it.

Yes.

Jul 12, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #50 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are lots of good valid theoretical reasons why balanced works in addition to noise reduction. Dismissing something because you don't get it is your right, but also your loss.

Grawk, you misunderstood my post, but I'll take the blame since I did not write it clearly enough. I am in full support of running balanced, all thru the chain, from the CDP to the HP AMP to the balanced re-cabling of the HP's. I carefully -- very thoughtfully -- A/B'd balanced vs unbalanced cabling at Can Jam 08 and could hear an obvious improvement. It was one of my main reasons for going to Can Jam 08, to answer this question for myself. Anyone who says that balanced re-cabling does not improve HPs is either not using the right equipment or has not listened. And I have read and agree with the theoretical reasons for running balanced above and beyond the "immunity to noise" issue.

What I was trying to do in my post was this: no one had mentioned that 99% of pro recording and playback gear is balanced. I thought that was important to point out. But the motivation behind why the pros do that is noise immunity, not SQ. This is clear from all the ads for this type of equipment. That is not to say that better SQ doesn't also result, I'm sure it does, only to be honest and admit that the ultimate in SQ is not the driving factor for the pros.

Noise immunity is yet another virtue of balanced ... the pros know it ... that was my only point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back