Balanced
Jul 10, 2008 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Devon8822

100+ Head-Fier
Can anybody please explain what "balanced" is... as refering to blanced HPs vs normal non-balanced ones...

I came across these at headroom...

what is the price difference? is it worth it for the improvement? how is the sound improved? thanks!

Jul 10, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 50
My, you have a lot of "new guy" questions today, don't you? Lol...

Balanced systems use XLR connectors to deliver signal/current. Each left or right channel has three "cables" in them, one carrying the signal, one the return signal, and one ground wire. Balanced refers to "balanced impedance". They are generally more "interference immune" systems, with quieter backgrounds than regular old single-ended systems, as they are better at interference rejection. They are also good for long cable runs. They are also much more expensive.

Jul 10, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Balanced systems use XLR connectors to deliver signal/current. Each left or right channel has three "cables" in them, one carrying the signal, one the return signal, and one ground wire. Balanced refers to "balanced impedance". They are generally more "interference immune" systems, with quieter backgrounds than regular old single-ended systems, as they are better at interference rejection. They are also good for long cable runs. They are also much more expensive.

And you are giving a wrong answer.....
redface.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 50
I indeed do have a lot of "new guy" questions, as I am pretty new to this stuff. I have been really inspired lately to get some good audio equipment, so I have a ton of questions popping up. Golden Monkey, you have answered quite a few of them, so I thank you.

How big is the improvement for balanced HPs?

again, thanks for the help

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 50
How was I incorrect, other than trying to give a "simplified" answer?

@ the OP - no problem, glad I can help. I know it's all confusing at first, and you get a lot of contradictory and/or non-answers or plain opinion based on nothing...hang in there
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #11 of 50
The difference in my experience is a much faster, tighter, more resolved signal...with a significantly expanded soundstage. This may be because of how balanced headphones work (two signals driving each driver, each 180 degrees out of phase with the other), the greater power driving them, or sunspots and moonbeams...the long and short of it is that it's in the opinion of many a better way to drive headphones.

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

How was I incorrect, other than trying to give a "simplified" answer?

Well since you asked....

Quote:

1. XLR connectors do not deliver signal or current. Signal paths deliver the signal internally while wires deliver it externally. And "current" is created by the DAC in a digital source. (Not familiar with analog sources.)

2. Left and right channel has three "cables" where? The headphone cable or the interconnects? A balanced headphone cable does not have three wires, just two (per channel). An XLR interconnect has the 3 distinct signal wires though.

3. The "much more expensive" is not a fact. Balanced headphone cabling can be done very cheaply by re-terminating stock cables, and there are some very cheap XLR interconnects.

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #13 of 50
Exactly.
Having a strong electrical engineering background, I see no purpose in running headphones balanced at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by penger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The improvement is whatever you can hear.
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #14 of 50
Ok, thx, Asr...I stand corrected. I should have discerned the difference between connectors and signal path. I was only thinking of interconnects at the time. As for balanced systems being more expensive, I was referring to not so much cabling as I was to the price of components. But then again, most components that have XLR are ones that have all the bells and whistles - take the Diyeden Musiland Great March II, for example...here's a DAC with XLR, coax, optical, rca, this that and the other thing. If you go the "retail route" though, it seems that cabling does indeed fetch a higher price, based on same length. It may be that the connectors are higher quality over stock RCA, which would explain that.

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly.
Having a strong electrical engineering background, I see no purpose in running headphones balanced at all.

Having ears, I hear the benefit in running balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back