Balanced K702 - how does SAA do it?
Mar 14, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #46 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what would happen to the amp if you used this cable? Seems like something that might be dangerous for the drivers.

Not the drivers but the amp most likely would be damaged. It would be no different than shorting the Left and Right outputs of a single ended amp.

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #47 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by fran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
balancedamp.gif

Nope.
If you look properly, there are arrows indicating what the ground, and left+/- and right +/- are attached to.
The ground is attached to the shield, and the left-/right- signals are not joined.
The arrows are actually pointing away from the ground wires.
This would do the same as joining the left+/right+.

The fact is that you need four channels for a balanced headphone.
If it is connected by 3 wires to the cable, it is not balanced.

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #48 of 51
Headroom diagram is spot-on. It's obvious you need two wires per channel. It's not possible to have "balanced" headphones with only three wires, not you can connect together any of those 4 wires (and neither you can involve ground with any of them). To do so will at least make the amp not work correctly and at worst damage it permanently.

Jul 29, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #50 of 51

Quote:
hello everyone.

i've recently started looking into balancing headphones and though i don't actually plan on buying anything anytime soon, this has come to my attention:

stefan audio art offers a detachable balanced replacement cable for the AKG K702 that simply plugs in the original mini-xlr connector. no soldering, no dual-entry - I like that (maybe apart from the price...).
however, as far as my limited understanding of the technical aspects goes, that shouldn't turn them into a balanced headphone, as both drivers still use the same common ground - or am i missing something here?

Quote:
Not sure what they are selling to be honest. They mention several times 3-conductor cable yet headline this as a balanced cable. You can not have both unless you are talking mono.

Quote:
hmm... so, based on what we know, we can assume that this particular product they're offering is bu****it?

If you truly understood what a "balanced" headphone was, you'd know that the bu****it started way before we got to the headphone cable.

May 25, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #51 of 51
So it seems simply put, for the k702 you have to replace the 3-pin mini XLR with a 4-pin mini XLR before you can even look at a balanced cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back