Balanced: GS-X or HeadRoom Desktop?
May 23, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #61 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
congrats on the balanced desktop! glad you like it.

Thanks, Melodious. Man, what this setup does with piano is out of this world. Pure magic. The strike of each key is almost palpable, each distinct from the others, each occupying a different point in the vast, completely dark soundstage. In some cases, especially on a closing note, you can actually hear the vibration on the wire slowly fade.

May 23, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #62 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3. I'm not sure if I ought to upgrade the balanced cable. The included HR seems to be fine, but I have no comparison at this point.

I wouldn't for a while. Give your brain a good long time to get wrapped around just how good this setup sounds.
600smile.gif

May 23, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #63 of 77
Fiefan,

Congrats on joining the balanced club! I'm glad you like it, it is a damn impressive rig and it really makes the HD650s sing.

I'll report on the Steffan Audio Art Equinnox balanced cable when I get it in about 2 weeks.

Meanwhile I'm in headphone bliss.

580smile.gif

May 23, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #64 of 77
wow...this is very tempting.

One reason I am returning the Opera is because to me the 650 veil was not lifted.
There was still a slight haze. I might have to try the balanced desktop when my funds allow it.

May 23, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #65 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't for a while. Give your brain a good long time to get wrapped around just how good this setup sounds.
600smile.gif

I think you're right, N_maher. I'll hold off for a while. I still can't get over the fullness that's delivered without any sense of strain. It's like I'm suddenly able to do 4-minute miles over the marathon distance without breaking a sweat, or reaching the green from the tee on a par-three hole. (Yeah, right!)

May 23, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #66 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkoulban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fiefan,

Congrats on joining the balanced club! I'm glad you like it, it is a damn impressive rig and it really makes the HD650s sing.

I'll report on the Steffan Audio Art Equinnox balanced cable when I get it in about 2 weeks.

Meanwhile I'm in headphone bliss.

580smile.gif

Thanks, Nkoulban. I was sweating this decision. All that I've read in Head-Fi forums, in this thread, in PMs, and in the commercial lit told me that this was a no brainer -- balanced is better. Still, you never know. There was that little voice in the back of my head, whispering "Beware of the hype." When I first put the 650 on, I was disoriented for a moment and panic set in. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I thought the difference would be so dramatic that I'd hear it the second I put the headphone on. What I heard was familiar, and that scared me. Then I settled down and really listened. That's when the differences began to become obvious, and the more I listened, the more obvious they became. But I'm preaching to the choir, here. You guys have already been here and done this. It's like having your sinuses gradually clear and realizing how really good music can be.

So it was with a bit of relief that I put mu doubts to rest

May 23, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #67 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by gswpete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow...this is very tempting.

One reason I am returning the Opera is because to me the 650 veil was not lifted.
There was still a slight haze. I might have to try the balanced desktop when my funds allow it.

I like the 650 and had already made up my mind that I'd learn to live with the veil, but someone in Head-Fi (his name escapes me right now) mentioned this phenomenon of the "disappearing veil" with a balanced outfit and that thought stayed with me. Knowing that ears vary widely, I wasn't 100% sure it would work for me, too. TG it did! It's like running on regular all this time and suddenly switching to premium. The sucker suddenly comes alive!

May 23, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #68 of 77
Welcome to the team
smily_headphones1.gif
Now tell me the truth after listening for a while did you swap your burned in senns and balance?

May 23, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #69 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by HearMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the team
smily_headphones1.gif
Now tell me the truth after listening for a while did you swap your burned in senns and balance?

Thanks, HearMe. LOL! I was thinking of it, but I'm actually scared s**tless to pull those tiny plugs in and out. My fingers are fat and clumsy and my eyes are pretty bad so getting the plug in the right way is a crapshoot for me. When I found that the new Senns came with the stock cables and I had to do the switch to the balanced, I started sweating, remembering my first 650s and adding the Cardas. By sheer luck, I had gotten the tiny little holes lined up correctly with the tiny little pins. I didn't wanna go through it again, but decided I also didn't want to undo the SE Cardas. So I switched in the balanced. It was actually easier because the little suckers with the pins are marked "R" and "L" and they face out. Thank god for the little things!

May 23, 2007 at 10:25 AM Post #70 of 77
I remember my insecurity...The Cardas did not give me a lot of confidence pin wise last year. I wanted to impress my wife and I had told her about the 300 hour torture test and in a moment of bravado I switched the cable and said Now listen!

May 24, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #71 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by HearMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember my insecurity...The Cardas did not give me a lot of confidence pin wise last year. I wanted to impress my wife and I had told her about the 300 hour torture test and in a moment of bravado I switched the cable and said Now listen!

LOL! Speaking of women and hearing, I've always wondered if they have better hearing. Yet, if I'm not mistaken, most head-fiers are guys. (If I'm wrong, ladies, I'll commit hara-kiri here and now, with the 1/4" jack from me K701!) So, is there a connection between cans and poorer hearing?

HearMe, would you say that your wife's hearing is better than yours? And, is she into headphones?

Yeah, I know, off topic. But . . .

May 24, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #72 of 77
Quote:

I like the 650 and had already made up my mind that I'd learn to live with the veil, but someone in Head-Fi (his name escapes me right now) mentioned this phenomenon of the "disappearing veil" with a balanced outfit and that thought stayed with me. Knowing that ears vary widely, I wasn't 100% sure it would work for me, too. TG it did! It's like running on regular all this time and suddenly switching to premium. The sucker suddenly comes alive!

When I heard the HR balanced Max w/HD600 during the national meet I was floored. Needless to say I just sat there and enjoyed for quite a while. If this setup can come close to that...must resist...

May 24, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #73 of 77
Quote:

When I heard the HR balanced Max w/HD600 during the national meet I was floored. Needless to say I just sat there and enjoyed for quite a while. If this setup can come close to that...must resist...

LOL! You'll have to come up for air sometime!

EDIT: P.S. I'm glad I didn't hear the HR Balanced Max! Otherwise I might realize I'm still underwater.

May 24, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #74 of 77
Quote:

LOL! You'll have to come up for air sometime!

EDIT: P.S. I'm glad I didn't hear the HR Balanced Max! Otherwise I might realize I'm still underwater.

Hehe, right now I'm listening to the MS-Pro/SP Extreme combo...and I get lots of fresh air
tongue.gif

Still...I'd prefer to get air out of the 650's since they are far more comfortable for longer listening.

May 24, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #75 of 77
Quote:

Hehe, right now I'm listening to the MS-Pro/SP Extreme combo...and I get lots of fresh air
tongue.gif

LOL! That combo supplies enough oxygen to make one giddy. Nice setup!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back