Balanced: GS-X or HeadRoom Desktop?
May 11, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #46 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkoulban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Headroom Balanced Desktop package with the HD650s (Full house balanced Desktop).

The full-house HRD balanced, especially with the Home DAC built-in, is very, very tempting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkoulban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cable is the stock Senn cable re-terminated for balanced drive. I also purchased the DPS power supply. . . . I can't wait to see what my balanced Equinnox cables will deliver to my balanced rig... this should be the icing on the cake (I hope).

What does "re-terminated" mean? Is it a plug-in adaptor or was the stock actually cut open and rewired/soldered? Are you getting the balanced Equinox because the reterminated stock doesn't quite cut it? Sorry for all these questions. Just one more: Have you had a chance to test the Black Dragon balanced or Alex's balanced?

May 11, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #47 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys who've suggested, tried, and actually own the Opera -- your discussion has been very enlightening. It's a good looking amp with a lot of positive press, but I had trouble believing that this design could really match the standard balanced amp. For me and for others who've been contemplating the Opera as a sub for true balanced, it's good to have your insights. Considering price, quality, and the advantage of using your SE hps -- the Opera still represents tremendous value!

i also appreciate the comments of those who've tried the opera and compared it to true balanced amps. i'd be interested in further comments along those lines speciafically regarding the cabling. was the comparison (since i think the only cans mentioned were the senn 650s, the easiest cans to rewire as they are plug and play) using the same type of cable to limit the variables? also was this experiment done using other cans? i'd love to hear impressions using other phones too as some cans seem to benefit more from balancing than others. at the last ny meet i heard markmaxx's akg k340s thru his unique single power amp. the k340 was wired for balance operation and had an adaptor to run single ended. i've never been all that impressed with the highly touted mods to this can (and this one had received the full headfile treatment) but there was a notable difference running this phone thru this amp single ended vs balanced. i'm wondering how well an opera does on these cans.

May 11, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #48 of 77
If you run a search you will find comments of a respected member (I think Saint.Panda) who compared an HD650 balanced from a DA10 and the same HD650 SE from an Opera and preferred the former (the DA10). I imgaine the preference would be even greater with a dedicated balanced amp.

May 12, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #49 of 77
Quote:

What does "re-terminated" mean? Is it a plug-in adaptor or was the stock actually cut open and rewired/soldered?

Reterminated means chopping off the 1/4" or 1/8" plug and rewiring/resoldering to 2 XLR plugs. Some phones' stock cables have 4 conductors or leads that allow you to reterminate the stock cable to XLRs. 3 conductor cables require a complete rewire.

HeadRoom explains it well.

May 12, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #50 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reterminated means chopping off the 1/4" or 1/8" plug and rewiring/resoldering to 2 XLR plugs. Some phones' stock cables have 4 conductors or leads that allow you to reterminate the stock cable to XLRs. 3 conductor cables require a complete rewire.

HeadRoom explains it well.

Thanks for the explanation and link. The 3-part explanation of the technology behind balanced headphone amps and headphones is impressive. It's a must-read for anyone contemplating balanced. I didn't realize "HeadRoom was the worlds first audio manufacturer to release a fully balanced headphone amp, the BlockHead, back in early 2001" (http://www.positive-feedback.com/industrynews.htm).

May 12, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #51 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you run a search you will find comments of a respected member (I think Saint.Panda) who compared an HD650 balanced from a DA10 and the same HD650 SE from an Opera and preferred the former (the DA10). I imgaine the preference would be even greater with a dedicated balanced amp.

Thanx for this reference. I think I've about ruled out the Opera at this point. To be fair, tho, it should be emphasized that there's a big difference in price: $1120 for the Opera vs. $1700 for the full-house HRD-B. Thus, as far as value goes, I think it's safe to say that the Opera holds its own.

May 12, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #52 of 77
feifan;2947467 said:
At $2800, the RPX-100 Quad Mono* Headphone Amplifer and Preamplifier
*(Dual-mono Balanced made by four Single Ended Amplifers) is yet another contender.

Be one of the first to try it! Many people love their Rudistor amps but I didin't care for the ones at the International Meet at all.... Just my opinon though.

May 12, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #53 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

At $2800, the RPX-100 Quad Mono* Headphone Amplifer and Preamplifier
*(Dual-mono Balanced made by four Single Ended Amplifers) is yet another contender.

Be one of the first to try it! Many people love their Rudistor amps but I didin't care for the ones at the International Meet at all.... Just my opinon though.

Was it build quality? SQ? Assuming the problem isn't aesthetics.

May 12, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #54 of 77
Quote:

Thanx for this reference. I think I've about ruled out the Opera at this point. To be fair, tho, it should be emphasized that there's a big difference in price: $1120 for the Opera vs. $1700 for the full-house HRD-B. Thus, as far as value goes, I think it's safe to say that the Opera holds its own.

if you don't need the dac you can buy the opera in an amp only version for $895 making it an even better value.

May 12, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #55 of 77
To answer some of the questions, re-terminating the MSPs involves soldering two XLR connectors in lieu of the 1/4" plug. As for the Eqinnox cabe for the HD650s I have heared such good things about it that I felt it may offer a final tweak to my system. Worst case I can return it and get my money back if it does not do anything.

I listen mostly to lossless files off a notebook computer via USB. I run Foobar and ASIO4ALL. I have found that setting resampling to 48K improves the sound on the Balanced Desktop over 44.1K, strange but true. It makes the sound even more analytical, detailed and yet still full and natural, it also manages to send tape hiss further into the background on older recordings.

I have to say that the Opera makes a compelling case for staying SE. Iron Dreamer did a review and he placed it right on top of the list of all in one units (No Headroom units where tested). If you did not want to spend the money going balanced I'm sure the Opera offers great bang for the buck.

I felt that I needed to try balanced drive (I would always be wondering otherwise) so the Headroom solution was easy to purchase and reasonably affordable. I really sweated going for a GSX and a Lavry DA10 but cost, the lack of USB on the DA10 and the large footprint of the GSX made the Headroom an easy choice for me.

600smile.gif

May 14, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #56 of 77
OK, guys, I made my decision and submitted my order a few minutes ago. I chose the HRD-B package over the GS-X, and the primary reason was footprint. It'll fit on the bookshelf where the unbalanced HRD+DPS now sit. Needless to say, both amps are excellent technically. Secondary considerations also played a part, but I'm not sure just how much: (1) Tyll's standing up for Jan in his conflict with Robert, which took guts and ethics, considering possible business ramifications -- loyalty stills matters in my book; (2) HeadRoom's innovative leadership in balanced headphone amp design and development -- R&D deserves the serious consideration of our wallets; (3) my very positive experience with the unbalanced HR Desktop.

Having said all this, I still need to emphasize the point that I'm thoroughly impressed with Justin and his amps. Both are 10s in my book. The respect that I read in posts re Justin and his products/services bordered on reverence, and that kind of rep is tough to come by in this critical but ultimately fair Head-Fi community. A brief email exchange with him did nothing to change the accuracy of this rep.

In closing, I want to thank all of you for your input, comments, suggestions, insights, offers, expertise, enthusiasm, etc. I wouldn't have been able to make the best possible decision (for me and my needs) without your assistance. I will report back once more, in this thread, after I receive the package and have a chance to futz with it.

May 14, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #57 of 77
Quote:

The NX33 is a very flexible unit, it can drive any headphone, balanced or unbalanced, with either high or low impedance, or sensitivity.

Quoted from Rudistor website:
Unbalanced to Balanced: This is probably the most common case. To take advantage of the balanced configuration it is not absolutely necessary to use a balanced source, The NX33 have an internal splitter that converts the unbalanced signal in a perfectly hi-precision balanced signal. In other words the NX-33 could be connected to a regular unbalanced source and still use the balanced output to drive balanced headphones with no limitations.

So in theory if I used an unbalanced DAC with this amp it would sound the same as if the amp were balanced? Does this hold true for other balanced amps? (sorry for the thread hijack)

May 22, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #58 of 77
Follow-up report on this thread: Rec'd the HRD-B package (incl HD650 w/ HR balanced cable and Astrodyne ps) yesterday. Connected it to the DPS and coax out of the X-Fi EP. After about 12 hours of burn-in, here are a few quick initial impressions:
1. It runs much warmer than the Desktop SE. Thus, I'm running it side-by-side rather than atop the DPS.
2. The HD650 has been transformed. It now has the liquidity of the GS1K and the soundstage of the K701. And the veil is gone. The soundstage* is impressive, huge yet intimate; the sound is dynamic yet not overwhelming, clear yet not bright, analytical yet warm. All of it emanating from total blackness, silence. Each instrument, voice, is distinct, clear, and perfectly scaled so that even the smallest is clearly audible. The bass is especially impressive! Tighter, punchier, quicker, better defined than anything I've ever heard before.
3. I'm not sure if I ought to upgrade the balanced cable. The included HR seems to be fine, but I have no comparison at this point.

Thanks again for all of your comments.

*EDIT: As though the ceiling, walls, and floor have been pushed way, way back.

May 22, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #59 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do we know balanced isn't just a fad that will die out?

because there are so many technical benefits

Quote:

What about jan meier's 'balanced' system that doesn't even need balanced cables for the headphone? Is that just as good?

aside from not having some of the greatest technical merits of balanced, you will also still be using a chintzy phono plug. even single-ended, i would much rather be using an xlr plug to transmit signals.

Quote:

Although perhaps the only people who have balanced desires are AKG K701/HD650 users and perhaps the odd SA5000 groupie who will have to relinquish their headphone for a bit
tongue.gif

jks btw.

as soon as i have a balanced amp/source, i will be getting my grados recabled to balanced. there is a bad misconception on head-fi that grados don't need good amplification, or won't benefit from balanced drive...

Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally don't think opamp rolling in a $3000 amplifier is a desired feature. But I guess that's just me.

agreed. spending that much i would rather have all discrete components.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree, only the good headphones benefit from balanced drive.

i don't see why grados deserve balanced any less than akg "bland, boring snooze zzz" k701s.

edit: oops, i forgot to respond to one thing.

congrats on the balanced desktop! glad you like it.

May 22, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #60 of 77
Monk - that's precisely why I joked with the AKG/Senn needing balanced to make them sound good to justify the money, not a comment about amplification. Even my UM2s improve with amping and they are not even 30ohm.

I would've gone GS-X over the HDB on looks alone...and the fact it's discrete...which I'm not sure how that makes a difference...But I hear a lot of good things about it - everything is soldered straight onto the board with discrete? You still need opamps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back