Balanced: GS-X or HeadRoom Desktop?
May 10, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #31 of 77
Who knows how GS-X gonna sound with upgrade modules.
wink.gif

May 10, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #33 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are rudistor any good? someone mentioned them as being in UK so no import fees.

Here's some copy re the NX-33, which was mentioned earlier by one of the thread members. A definite player in affordable SS balanced amp field:

http://www.rudistor.com/nx33.htm

NX-33 Balanced Headphone Amplifier - Class A-

NX-33 a full balanced solid state amplifier. The balanced topology of driving headphones is not new and offers some advantages over the classic unbalanced single ended topology, mainly due to the higher control over the drivers; the result is an increase detail resolution, dynamics and “punch” feeling.

The NX33 is a very solid compact unit, built to the highest quality standards. It works all in pure Class A without any global feedback. As usual in Rudistor amps, to reach the highest purity in the sound, no capacitors are included along the signal path. The amp offers one of the lowest noise floor that we had measured, providing a completely blacker than black background. The linearity added to the dynamics, and hi-speed in peak transients, place the NX-33 inside a new sound dimension.

The NX33 do not use the traditional push-pull power units like the majority of the balanced amplifiers, instead four single ended amplifiers, two per channel, working in opposed phase are used.

The NX33 is a very flexible unit, it can drive any headphone, balanced or unbalanced, with either high or low impedance, or sensitivity.

May 11, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #34 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's some copy re the NX-33, which was mentioned earlier by one of the thread members. A definite player in affordable SS balanced amp field:

http://www.rudistor.com/nx33.htm

NX-33 Balanced Headphone Amplifier - Class A-

NX-33 a full balanced solid state amplifier. The balanced topology of driving headphones is not new and offers some advantages over the classic unbalanced single ended topology, mainly due to the higher control over the drivers; the result is an increase detail resolution, dynamics and “punch” feeling.

The NX33 is a very solid compact unit, built to the highest quality standards. It works all in pure Class A without any global feedback. As usual in Rudistor amps, to reach the highest purity in the sound, no capacitors are included along the signal path. The amp offers one of the lowest noise floor that we had measured, providing a completely blacker than black background. The linearity added to the dynamics, and hi-speed in peak transients, place the NX-33 inside a new sound dimension.

The NX33 do not use the traditional push-pull power units like the majority of the balanced amplifiers, instead four single ended amplifiers, two per channel, working in opposed phase are used.

The NX33 is a very flexible unit, it can drive any headphone, balanced or unbalanced, with either high or low impedance, or sensitivity.

The one I'm getting when I get the money.. This will be my first/last balanced amp.. AS 1,200 is already pushing it for me..

May 11, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #36 of 77
I have a Headroom Balanced Desktop package with the HD650s (Full house balanced Desktop). The cable is the stock Senn cable re-terminated for balanced drive. I also purchased the DPS power supply.

What can I say... wow! This rig is clearly better than what I had before (That was, Lite AH DAC, Fubar II DAC, MoodLab DAC, Musliland MD10 DAC, Original Master Amp, Little Dot II ++ Valve Amp and Alessandro MS Pros). The major benefit has been in neutrality, soundstage and bass quality and quantity. Oh, and the Senns sound so sweet and silky.

I occasionally go back for a test listen to my SE rig, or whats left of it, being a Musliand MD10, Little Dot II ++ Valve Amp, and Alessandro MS Pros and it underscores the superiority of the Headroom and Senn rig. When I plug my Senns in to remove the diffrences in sound signature of the MSPs the balanced rig is still clearly better.

I will either sell or recable my Alessandro MS Pros and keep the Musliand MD10and Little Dot II ++ Valve Amp for my speaker system since I can use the LD as a pre-amp.

Bottom line though it is a case of dimminishing returns. You could get a lot of this sound from a carefully selected budget system but if you are like me, there is no going back.

I can't wait to see what my balanced Equinnox cables will deliver to my balanced rig... this should be the icing on the cake (I hope).

May 11, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #37 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope I won't. Not all headphones benefit a lot from balanced drive.

And I'm not about to recable my rare Grados
wink.gif

i agree, only the good headphones benefit from balanced drive.

May 11, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #38 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
everyone will be balanced by the end of the year.

geez, are so many head-fiers unbalanced?
tongue.gif

May 11, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #39 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about jan meier's 'balanced' system that doesn't even need balanced cables for the headphone? Is that just as good?

That's the only way I think balanced will rule the world, because recabling is expensive and you have to send most cans away for it.

yeah, the meier opera, available as either an amp/dac combo or as a standalone amp sure sounds tempting! why bother recabling your phones if you can get most of the benefits of balancing without having to go to the trouble and expense and possibly limiting the appeal and resale value of your cans? all the reports about it so far have been very positive. i'd love to hear about a shootout featuring the meier, the head-amp, the headroom, and the rudi.

May 11, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #41 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, the meier opera, available as either an amp/dac combo or as a standalone amp sure sounds tempting! why bother recabling your phones if you can get most of the benefits of balancing without having to go to the trouble and expense and possibly limiting the appeal and resale value of your cans? all the reports about it so far have been very positive. i'd love to hear about a shootout featuring the meier, the head-amp, the headroom, and the rudi.

Unfortunately, in my experiences listening to the HD650s on both the Meier Opera and my HeadAmp GS-X, the balanced ground design of the Opera, while better than regular single-ended designs, are not up there yet with a fully-balanced drive. Two others who are extensive users of the HD650s also corroborated my subjective experiences.

May 11, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #42 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why bother recabling your phones if you can get most of the benefits of balancing without having to go to the trouble and expense and possibly limiting the appeal and resale value of your cans?

well, that is the advertised benefits and features. I have an Opera on my desk and playing music as I write this and have done shootouts between it and the Zana Deux and GS-X... and I still think the 3 channel thing has a way to go before it actually get to that level.

May 11, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #43 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkoulban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will either sell or recable my Alessandro MS Pros and keep the Musliand MD10and Little Dot II ++ Valve Amp for my speaker system since I can use the LD as a pre-amp.

I think you should recable the MS Pros and let us know how they sound. Youy'll want the occasional break from the Senns anyway.

May 11, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #44 of 77
Guys who've suggested, tried, and actually own the Opera -- your discussion has been very enlightening. It's a good looking amp with a lot of positive press, but I had trouble believing that this design could really match the standard balanced amp. For me and for others who've been contemplating the Opera as a sub for true balanced, it's good to have your insights. Considering price, quality, and the advantage of using your SE hps -- the Opera still represents tremendous value!

May 11, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #45 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was in the same boat as you and didn't want to spend over 2k initially for a SS headphone amp. After listening to all that were available at the International Meet and within a reasonable price range (Richard's SS1 is amazing BTW) the only one that kept me coming back and put an ear to ear grin on my face was the Apache. Is it worth a $1300 difference? To me it was!

Others in the 3K range: custom creation from Single Power, Maxed balanced Desktop/Home etc, Rudistor RP100

At $2800, the RPX-100 Quad Mono* Headphone Amplifer and Preamplifier
*(Dual-mono Balanced made by four Single Ended Amplifers) is yet another contender.
http://www.rudistor.com/RPX100.htm
Scary how one can begin with a $1700 limit and so quickly begin looking over at the $2800 shelf.
plainface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry about your wallet
evil_smiley.gif
It will recover, eventually
very_evil_smiley.gif

I keep on telling myself. I keep on telling myself. I keep on . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back