Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that a prediction or statement? ;p

both.
icon10.gif

May 10, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #18 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
woo is releasing a balanced amp sometime this year. add that one to the list.

Is that the monster that Wu unveiled at the Head-Fest National Meet 2007?

May 10, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #19 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that the monster that Wu unveiled at the Head-Fest National Meet 2007?

No. that was the WA5. the balanced amp is not out yet. no idea when it is coming out, except for sometime this year, or its price.

May 10, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #20 of 77
very interesting. You can't go wrong with either choice. i'm a personal fan of the GS-X but I have not heard the Desktop enough to really comment on it.

the one thing that I would like to weigh on is the Silver Dragon cables. While I love silver senn cables on headroom and tube amps, on the GS-X and more "solid state" sounding stuff it can get a little bright. if you want it to be like that fine, but I'm just warning you.....

May 10, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #22 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Our Balanced Desktops do work with normally wired headphones. A normal stereo headphone plug is in the center of the XLR connectors on the front.

oh oops - didn't realise it from the web pictures. So that means you can plug in up to four normally cabled headphones?

What's the benefit of using XLR-1/4" hybrid ports over keeping everything seperate?

May 10, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #23 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very interesting. You can't go wrong with either choice. i'm a personal fan of the GS-X but I have not heard the Desktop enough to really comment on it.

Yeah, that's the dilemma. All I've read and heard about both is positive. It's weird that we haven't heard from a single person who's actually listened to both under comparable conditions. Maybe that's a good sign. Folks are content with whichever they have and don't feel the need to test the other.
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the one thing that I would like to weigh on is the Silver Dragon cables. While I love silver senn cables on headroom and tube amps, on the GS-X and more "solid state" sounding stuff it can get a little bright. if you want it to be like that fine, but I'm just warning you.....

Thanks for this tip. No, I definitely don't want bright. I remember an older thread on the black vs. silver, and brightness was the issue. That's the reason I went for the black on the GSK. I should've realized that tubes would tame the brightness while SS wouldn't.

May 10, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #24 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh oops - didn't realise it from the web pictures. So that means you can plug in up to four normally cabled headphones?

What's the benefit of using XLR-1/4" hybrid ports over keeping everything seperate?

In the Desktop Balanced there are two XLR/1/4" connectors on the front. So, you can plug in one pair of balanced headphones or two pairs of unbalanced cans. The advantage of the hybrid connectors is that there just isn't enough room on the fron panel for separate connectors for everything.

May 10, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #25 of 77
To those who own the HeadRoom Desktop Balanced:

1. Are you happy with it?

2. If yes, what's the main reason? If no, why not?

To those who own the GS-X:

1. Are you happy with it?

2. If yes, what's the main reason? If no, why not?

May 10, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #26 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say consider waiting for the RSA apache - it looks very impressive and has opamp rolling - wooo aaaaahhh weeee.
wink.gif

chris_ah1, sorry for the slow reply. I originally ruled out Ray's Apache because of cost. At $3000, it was a lot more than I was prepared to spend. But your suggestion and the Apache thread that began over the weekend has me thinking. (Always a dangerous thing on Head-Fi.) Is it worth the approximately $1300 difference? (Ray, my apologies for putting this so bluntly. No disrespect intended.) I've seen the pix and read the specs in the thread. I'm drooling over the looks! The specs seem impressive. At the $3K marker, are there others SS contenders that should be explored?

May 10, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #27 of 77
If you're one of the first 10, it's $2495. =T

May 10, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #28 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're one of the first 10, it's $2495. =T

Any idea what the count is up to now? Probably over 10, I'd think . . .

May 10, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #29 of 77
Quote:

chris_ah1, sorry for the slow reply. I originally ruled out Ray's Apache because of cost. At $3000, it was a lot more than I was prepared to spend. But your suggestion and the Apache thread that began over the weekend has me thinking. (Always a dangerous thing on Head-Fi.) Is it worth the approximately $1300 difference? (Ray, my apologies for putting this so bluntly. No disrespect intended.) I've seen the pix and read the specs in the thread. I'm drooling over the looks! The specs seem impressive. At the $3K marker, are there others SS contenders that should be explored?

I was in the same boat as you and didn't want to spend over 2k initially for a SS headphone amp. After listening to all that were available at the International Meet and within a reasonable price range (Richard's SS1 is amazing BTW) the only one that kept me coming back and put an ear to ear grin on my face was the Apache. Is it worth a $1300 difference? To me it was!

Others in the 3K range: custom creation from Single Power, Maxed balanced Desktop/Home etc, Rudistor RP100

Don't worry about your wallet
evil_smiley.gif
It will recover, eventually
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 10, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #30 of 77
Quote:

I have to admit the apache had me down on looks alone. No way I can get to hear one sadly.

From what I can see the MAX setup is about $4600 ($5000 if you get the package deal with HD650+cables) but that includes the MAX dac too. $500 less without I think if i can remember correctly. Plus the apache comes with that hot looking power supply and those cute feet!
Sure, the headroom can power up to 4 unbalanced from the front with the apache only 3, and yes the MAX setup is probably nice sounding with OPA627 and buffers etc.

for me the looks are important for this type of device. just as important as sound. I'm sure the headroom sounds fabulous and I'm sure it's well made (it has lovely neat innards), but the apache wins on looks.

Just a correction - the HEadroom HOME with MAX upgrades for DAC and amp balanced costs $3600.without DAC $3100 (but specced with attenuator).
So the apache is still competitive.
The MAX without DAC is $4000.

Take all my posts with a pinch of salt because of course I can afford none of this stuff and won't be able to for a while and given the lack of gear in the UK won't hear anything until I actually buy one!!! but still, apache gets my vote on aesthetics....as long as sound lives up to headroom/meier/GS-X level or beyond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back