Balanced: GS-X or HeadRoom Desktop?
May 9, 2007 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

feifan

1000+ Head-Fier
In the next month or two, I'm going balanced, and I'm torn between the GS-X and the HeadRoom Desktop. Anyone have a chance to compare the two?

In terms of footprint, the HRD is smaller and would fit right in with my present SE HRD with PSU. The GS-X is a little bigger, but I can accommodate the extra width.

Other considerations:

1. DAC: I have the Beresford TC-7510 MKIII. Will this be adequate for the GS-X? Should I upgrade? If yes, what would you suggest? If I go with the HRD, I'd probably get it with the Home DAC.

2. CANS: I'm thinking of ordering the balanced Silver Dragon for the HD650. Or recabling the GSK or K701. Should I consider some other cable beside Drew's?

3. A 3RD OPTION: Should I look into something higher-end, like the HR Max Balanced Amp? It's almost 3 times the cost in the config I'd like to have. At that price, should I be looking at an alternate that's better? I have to admit that, altho I really like the shape of the HRD, the same shape in the larger Max doesn't quite do it for me.

May 9, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
everyone will be balanced by the end of the year.

Is that a prediction or statement? ;p

May 9, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 77
I would say consider waiting for the RSA apache - it looks very impressive and has opamp rolling - wooo aaaaahhh weeee.
wink.gif

Specwise, I would recommend an amp that works with balanced and unbalanced - I wouldn't want to recable all my cans so that rules out the headroom.

Headamp GS-X looks lovely though - especially with those upgradeable amp boards.

May 9, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 77
I personally don't think opamp rolling in a $3000 amplifier is a desired feature. But I guess that's just me.

May 9, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 77
Thanx for the comments, guys. The general feeling so far seems to be that balanced is going to dominate sooner than later -- like in the next 6 months or so. So for now it's best to wait to see what pops? Makes sense if it means a flood of options down the road, and the competition translating to better and cheaper. But I'm itching . . .

May 9, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #7 of 77
How do we know balanced isn't just a fad that will die out?

What about jan meier's 'balanced' system that doesn't even need balanced cables for the headphone? Is that just as good?

That's the only way I think balanced will rule the world, because recabling is expensive and you have to send most cans away for it.

Although perhaps the only people who have balanced desires are AKG K701/HD650 users and perhaps the odd SA5000 groupie who will have to relinquish their headphone for a bit
tongue.gif

jks btw.

May 9, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #8 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2. CANS: I'm thinking of ordering the balanced Silver Dragon for the HD650. Or recabling the GSK or K701. Should I consider some other cable beside Drew's?

Yes. Behold Stefan AudioArt's Limited Edition Equinox here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226679

Quote:

3. A 3RD OPTION: Should I look into something higher-end, like the HR Max Balanced Amp? It's almost 3 times the cost in the config I'd like to have. At that price, should I be looking at an alternate that's better? I have to admit that, altho I really like the shape of the HRD, the same shape in the larger Max doesn't quite do it for me.

There's also the Single Power Square Wave XL at $1.7K, exclusively for your favorite balanced headphones and source!

May 9, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #9 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend an amp that works with balanced and unbalanced - I wouldn't want to recable all my cans so that rules out the headroom.

Our Balanced Desktops do work with normally wired headphones. A normal stereo headphone plug is in the center of the XLR connectors on the front.

May 10, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #10 of 77
Quote:

In the next month or two, I'm going balanced, and I'm torn between the GS-X and the HeadRoom Desktop. Anyone have a chance to compare the two?

In terms of footprint, the HRD is smaller and would fit right in with my present SE HRD with PSU. The GS-X is a little bigger, but I can accommodate the extra width.

Other considerations:

1. DAC: I have the Beresford TC-7510 MKIII. Will this be adequate for the GS-X? Should I upgrade? If yes, what would you suggest? If I go with the HRD, I'd probably get it with the Home DAC.

Alex. His work & CS is legendary around these parts..
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #11 of 77
Quote:

Other considerations:

GS-X.. Unlike the Balanced Desktop it has both Male/female XRL outputs so you could also connect a balanced CDP/ or DAC of your choosing.. & from the info I heard seems to be more 'hi end'

May 10, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #12 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. Behold Stefan AudioArt's Limited Edition Equinox here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226679

There's also the Single Power Square Wave XL at $1.7K, exclusively for your favorite balanced headphones and source!

EDIT: Re the URL below -- it's not a review. Here's Asr's disclaimer: "I have a unit right now in my home system for review. Review will be posted on StereoMojo within the next few weeks. Until then I can say nothing about the amp, so please don't ask for impressions. Pics only for ogling." My apologies for the confusion.

Thank you for the information and recommendations. Read your review of the SE version
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=236961
Beautiful pix! Love that smoky gray plexiglass(?). So the balanced is about $700-800 more? Since you're recommending it, I'm assuming it stacks up well against the GS-X and HRD?

I logged on to the Equinox webpage. If I'm not mistaken, the prices are slightly higher than the Silver Dragon? I'm assuming the quality makes up for the price diff.

May 10, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #13 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally don't think opamp rolling in a $3000 amplifier is a desired feature. But I guess that's just me.

You are not alone.

May 10, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #14 of 77
Quote:

Thank you for the information and recommendations. Read your review of the SE version
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=236961
Beautiful pix! Love that smoky gray plexiglass(?). So the balanced is about $700-800 more? Since you're recommending it, I'm assuming it stacks up well against the GS-X and HRD?

I logged on to the Equinox webpage. If I'm not mistaken, the prices are slightly higher than the Silver Dragon? I'm assuming the quality makes up for the price diff.

That thread you linked isn't a review, only pics. And I'm not recommending it either, was just pointing it out as another option. I have no idea how it compares to GS-X or the HeadRoom Desktop Balanced.

May 10, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #15 of 77
The GS-X has an impressive build and is an outstanding product. I however did not like the sound of the GS-X with balanced 650's. The Apache did wonders with balanced Senns and is what sold me on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back