Balanced DAC Tips and Recommendations
Aug 30, 2019 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

haibrands

New Head-Fier
Hello!

First I'd like to say that my Sennheiser HD6XX is en route and I'm excited.

My questions are as follow (Forgive me for my inexperience. I've been reading into it but information is scattered all around and hard to find)
- I'm in search of a good amp/dac combo or a good two in one. Please let me know how it would compare to a O2 + SDAC which I have already bought.
- What balanced cable would you recommend I buy? I have my eyes on Corpse Cable from eBay. Also, is the "4 ft" measured from the 2.5mm plug to the y split of the cable, or to each 2 pin plug that connects to the headphone lol
- I'm hopefully trying to stay under $400 for the DAC/AMP. I saw the LCX + SDAC. Would this be good compared to the O2 + SDAC?

Here's more background info!:
I already purchased the O2 + SDAC (Can return) and a HD6XX. Before, I had my 64Audio's A6 working with balanced output from my portable Onkyo DP-X1's and remember it being very nice. I basically want a DAC/AMP combo that's budget friendly and able to wow me as well. How can I achieve this?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 12
Massdrop Grace Balanced SDAC & Loxjie P20 would be $250 or with SMSL-SU8 balanced DAC & Loxjie for $300. Personally I think the only real benefit of balanced is that the power out of the balanced connection tends to be much higher than the standard connection in the same amp. Or could stick with the O2 for now and go up to the THX789 later, keeping the same balanced DAC.

Aug 30, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 12
Massdrop Grace Balanced SDAC & Loxjie P20 would be $250 or with SMSL-SU8 balanced DAC & Loxjie for $300. Personally I think the only real benefit of balanced is that the power out of the balanced connection tends to be much higher than the standard connection in the same amp. Or could stick with the O2 for now and go up to the THX789 later, keeping the same balanced DAC.

Thanks! Would you happen to know anything about the Massdrop LCX + SDAC combo when paired with an HD6XX?

I can't seem to find any Grace SDAC's balanced right now.

Aug 30, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 12
Thanks! Would you happen to know anything about the Massdrop LCX + SDAC combo when paired with an HD6XX?

I can't seem to find any Grace SDAC's balanced right now.
I have a Cavalli Liquid Carbon ( the original version ) and the HD-6xx’s and have to say not my favorite for them I would pick the Cavalli Tube Hybrid over it and then one of the best I’ve heard with the 6xx’s a Bottlehead Crack and neither is balanced. I have several balanced outputs from amps,dacs and daps and I will use them but is it so great that single ended is useless I say no. I do like the power as I have a few power hungry planars that do love it . The O2 amp does very well with the 6xx’s and sure the Sdac is fine. If you want balanced at a affordable price take a look at the SMSL SU-8. I have only heard it shortly with a SH-8 amp at CanJam and thought it was very competent as nothing was too anything just good .

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 12
I have a Cavalli Liquid Carbon ( the original version ) and the HD-6xx’s and have to say not my favorite for them I would pick the Cavalli Tube Hybrid over it and then one of the best I’ve heard with the 6xx’s a Bottlehead Crack and neither is balanced. I have several balanced outputs from amps,dacs and daps and I will use them but is it so great that single ended is useless I say no. I do like the power as I have a few power hungry planars that do love it . The O2 amp does very well with the 6xx’s and sure the Sdac is fine. If you want balanced at a affordable price take a look at the SMSL SU-8. I have only heard it shortly with a SH-8 amp at CanJam and thought it was very competent as nothing was too anything just good .

Okay, thanks. That's very insightful. I see that the SMSL SU-8 has by far the most recommendations. I'm guessing that for the price range, the O2 + SDAC is more than enough for now and I'll probably hold on to that then!

The SMSL SU-8 is a DAC so do you think I could pick it up some time in the future and couple it with my O2? Or would I be required to pick up something else? Lastly, I AM more interested in a 2-in-1 for the sake of taking up less room on my desk. Have you happened to have tried a Topping DX7S with your HD6XX's by the way? Or the E1DA 9038S?

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 12
The HD6XX can be a picky headphone when it comes to power and sources, so setting a $400 limit for a DAC/amp combo with a balanced requirement is maybe not the best way to approach your situation. You'll need the power to drive the 6XX, which balanced outs can provide, but you can theoretically get enough power through a single-ended chain as well. If I was looking to put together a "budget" system for that set of headphones, I'd probably get the CTH+SDAC combo, or get the CTH amp and upgrade the DAC to the Schiit Modi Multibit. I feel like the Mimby's slightly aggressive extended tuning would pair well with the HD6XX's rolled off sub-bass and upper treble. But I've never actually heard the Mimby feed the HD6XX, so that's just speculation on my part.

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 12
Okay, thanks. That's very insightful. I see that the SMSL SU-8 has by far the most recommendations. I'm guessing that for the price range, the O2 + SDAC is more than enough for now and I'll probably hold on to that then!

The SMSL SU-8 is a DAC so do you think I could pick it up some time in the future and couple it with my O2? Or would I be required to pick up something else? Lastly, I AM more interested in a 2-in-1 for the sake of taking up less room on my desk. Have you happened to have tried a Topping DX7S with your HD6XX's by the way? Or the E1DA 9038S?
It is your money do what you want.

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 12
The HD6XX can be a picky headphone when it comes to power and sources, so setting a $400 limit for a DAC/amp combo with a balanced requirement is maybe not the best way to approach your situation. You'll need the power to drive the 6XX, which balanced outs can provide, but you can theoretically get enough power through a single-ended chain as well. If I was looking to put together a "budget" system for that set of headphones, I'd probably get the CTH+SDAC combo, or get the CTH amp and upgrade the DAC to the Schiit Modi Multibit. I feel like the Mimby's slightly aggressive extended tuning would pair well with the HD6XX's rolled off sub-bass and upper treble. But I've never actually heard the Mimby feed the HD6XX, so that's just speculation on my part.

Thanks for the ideas

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #11 of 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back