Bada PH12 vis-a-vis Meixing MC66AE and Lehmann BC
Nov 12, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #46 of 531
For those who wanted to see the bottom of a bada, here's a pic. We can settle the curcuit discussion once and for all, LOL!
rs1smile.gif

Badabottom.jpg

Nov 19, 2005 at 2:32 PM Post #47 of 531
[size=x-small]Tubes for the Bada PH12:[/size]

Someone emailed me and asked me about the tube configuration with the Bada PH12, specifically the use of one Electro Harmonix Gold 6NS7 up front (input) and two Russian 6H8C tubes in back (output), as currently supplied with the Bada PH12.

[size=x-small]See page 5 for tube use update[/size]

Dec 15, 2005 at 10:36 AM Post #49 of 531
So where would I go to buy one of these? Googling the name came up with nothing

Dec 15, 2005 at 10:47 AM Post #50 of 531
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar
So where would I go to buy one of these? Googling the name came up with nothing

Try:

www.cattylink.com

Dec 23, 2005 at 2:07 PM Post #51 of 531
where can i buy a bada ph12?? i cant find anything on google nor the site above.

Dec 24, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #52 of 531
Quote:

Originally Posted by noypi
where can i buy a bada ph12?? i cant find anything on google nor the site above.

Send an email to cattylink. It is not listed on their site but they do sell em.

May 23, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #53 of 531
See this for more comments on the Bada PH12.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=180534

The Bada PH12 is not recommended for headphones of low impedance like the Grados.

The tubes supplied are not as good as the old tubes of the 40s and 50s.

Great 6SN7 tubes with the PH12 are:

Sylvania GT VT-231 (GT or GTA also), or CBS GT, or GE GT as the single input tube

and 2 RCA GT VT-231 (or plain GT) as the output tubes.

RCA VT-231 (or GT), CBS GT, or GE GT as the input tube

and 2 Raytheon VT-231 (or GT) as the output tubes.

Raytheon GT VT-231 (or plain GT) as the input tube and 2 Sylvania or RCA VT-231 (or GT) as the output tubes.

Ken Rad VT 231 as a single input with 2 General Electric GTA tubes as output tubes.

Other good input tubes are the Electro Harmonix Gold (particularly with the Raytheon VT -231 or GT as output tubes), the RTT (German) GT or the Zalytron (Holland) GT.

Avoid using GTB - some are bad. GT, or even some GTA, are usually better.

[size=x-small]See page 5 for tube use update.
Cautions with using the Bada PH12:[/size]

Bada owners have sometimes experienced mosfet failure when they change tubes without letting the unit be powered off for at least 10 minutes before removing a tube. After turning the amp off, residual power in the circuitry can short out a mosfet when a tube is removed. Wait at least 10 minutes (30 is best) before removing any tube after turning the Bada off.

Also never turn the Bada on until it has been off for at least 10 minutes.

And always be sure the headphone is fully seated in the Bada before turning it on. Mosfets are sensitive and easily blown from an internal short situation.

Bada now uses two 15V diodes, joined together with their negative leads where the two positive leads each connect to the outer pins of each mosfet, to help provide mosfet protection, but care in use is still advised.

A good interconnect, like the Acoustic zen silver Reference II, is essential for best performance, as is a good source and headphones.

The Bada PH12 can be ordered from www.cattylink.com.

Contact me if you have any problems with the PH12. I still very highly recommend the Bada PH12 for any high end system.

May 30, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #54 of 531
Is the BADA PH-12 AUTOBIAS? Since you use different tubes in the amp, you normally would have to bias the tubes to the optimum voltage?!

Also, do you mean these tubes?
http://www.thetubestore.com/shuguang6sn7.html
and the electro harmonics:
http://www.thetubestore.com/eh-6sn7g.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Be sure to try two Electro Hamonix Gold EH 6NS7 tubes in the two rear positions with one Shugang 6N8C in the front position.

This set up gives an extremely natural instrumental/voice timbre.

I got my Electro Harmonix from

http://www.thetubestore.com/ehx.html

One other place sells a "Gold" grade, but this is not the true Gold model with gold pins, and has some internal design differences other than just gold pins.

May 30, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #55 of 531
Is the BADA PH-12 AUTOBIAS? Since you use different tubes in the amp, you normally would have to bias the tubes to the optimum voltage?!

Also, do you mean these tubes?
http://www.thetubestore.com/shuguang6sn7.html
and the electro harmonics:
Be]http://www.thetubestore.com/eh-6sn7g...arthurwells]Be sure to try two Electro Hamonix Gold EH 6NS7 tubes in the two rear positions with one Shugang 6N8C in the front position.

This set up gives an extremely natural instrumental/voice timbre.

I got my Electro Harmonix from

http://www.thetubestore.com/ehx.html

One other place sells a "Gold" grade, but this is not the true Gold model with gold pins, and has some internal design differences other than just gold pins.[/QUOTE]

May 30, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #56 of 531
The PH-12 is not a top-tier amp, not even close. Since that review was written my amp has gotten nice toroidal output transformers and a tube rectified power supply. It is I think close to extracting the full potential of 6SN7 tubes, on a scale of 1-10 it's a bit under 9. The Bada would be about 5.5 or so, nice for the price, but not anywhere near state of the art.

May 30, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #57 of 531
it certainly would be much better then a xcan v3 or cec headphone amp!
I never expect an amp to be perfect! always in need of modding.

I also owned a maxed out very expensive stax system, so i can compare if it is any good. Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
The PH-12 is not a top-tier amp, not even close. Since that review was written my amp has gotten nice toroidal output transformers and a tube rectified power supply. It is I think close to extracting the full potential of 6SN7 tubes, on a scale of 1-10 it's a bit under 9. The Bada would be about 5.5 or so, nice for the price, but not anywhere near state of the art.

May 30, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #58 of 531
Quote:

Originally Posted by pjr300
For those who wanted to see the bottom of a bada, here's a pic. We can settle the curcuit discussion once and for all, LOL!
rs1smile.gif
[/IMG]

Just a side note -that's a laptop fan, right? Interesting idea to treat a headphone amp like a cpu and have a blower built in. How's the external sound with that fan going?

May 30, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #59 of 531
Quote:

Originally Posted by pjr300
rs1smile.gif
[/IMG]

Just a side note -that's a laptop fan, right? Interesting idea to treat a headphone amp like a cpu and have a blower built in. How's the external sound with that fan going?

May 30, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #60 of 531
Will let you know when i get the Bada.
rolleyes.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back