Bada PH-12 v. Darkvoice 337: Informal First Impressions
Jul 2, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #31 of 157
Completely Shameless/UNABASHED PLUG FOR THE D2000:

Just put the (stock) D2000 back on, after giving the tubes sufficient warm-up. Wow! These are one ever-delightfully surprising set of headphones! I actually prefer their more immediate rendering of the Time Out tracks to the HD600's.

While admitting that the Denon may--emphasis on may--concede to the HD600 in singular degrees of refinement, the D2000 (IMHO--let's not forget that!) maintain an even more heightened sense of air/separation, but seem to integrate the soundstage better at the same time. Who knows? With another driver, say the Sylvania VT-116A or the mesh plate 6SJ7WGTs, that "refinement" gap may become effectively negligible.

Also, I think the music sounds more well/properly developed with the D2000. Bass lines are more foundational, easier to follow and better articulated; cymbal hits are fuller, project better and are more credibly metallic-ringing; mids are rounder and more forwardly balanced; highs are "creamier." Let me be quick to remind myself and the reader that the HD600 are Cardas recabled; the D2000 maintain the stock cable. With a respectable recable, I think the D2000 might pull away by lengths over the HD600.

The HD600 sound concave; the D2000 sound convex while still conveying an excellent sense of realism, openness, balance and synergy.

Thank you, Denon! Your AVR-1905 A/V receiver has proven an agonizing disappointment, but your D2000 headphones continue to be ultimately and unfailingly satisfying!

Excuse me, I've just put on George Jones' "My Favorite Lies" and want some time alone with the D2000. : )

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #32 of 157
To me, the K501 are the "tie-breakers" in this match-up. The Bada do them justice; the DV337 (IMHO) do not.

The Bada is the more versatile of the two amps presented here. It does the K501 much better than the DV, the D2000 perhaps equally as well (but in a different manner and depending on tube choices), and the HD600 respectably well, but not as well as the DV.

If I hadn't already developed a strong preference for the K501 over the HD600 as my go-to open cans, I could live happily with either the PH-12 or the 337--and had I only the D2000 and HD600. Things as they are, however, I'm tilted more toward the Bada. Undoubtedly, I'll let go of the HD600 before reliquishing the K501.

And, lastly, to be completely honest, I prefer the characteristic presentation of the (fluid, tonally/harmonically complex) Bada to the (authoritative, well-controlled/ordered, powerful--man, this thing really packs a whallop!) Darkvoice, to which I attribute my preference for the 6SN7 driver to the 6SJ7.

One nice upshot of this review is rediscovering the D2000's amazing fidelity to upstream system changes--exactly as TBonner had indicated. The D2000 continue to grow favorably on me! : )

But that's just one, lowly layman's opinion! : )

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #33 of 157
Pataburd, yea mine is a 2005 600ohm dt880.
and hd600 is good but i just got so used to akg's big soundstage. plus the drum sound isn't exactly what i like. kind of same like dt800, too much bass for some music and not enough for some. i guess i'll like hd650 better.

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #34 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, the K501 are the "tie-breakers" in this match-up. The Bada do them justice; the DV337 (IMHO) do not.

The Bada is the more versatile of the two amps presented here. It does the K501 much better than the DV, the D2000 perhaps equally as well (but in a different manner and depending on tube choices), and the HD600 respectably well, but not as well as the DV.

If I hadn't already developed a strong preference for the K501 over the HD600 as my go-to open cans, I could live happily with either the PH-12 or the 337--and had I only the D2000 and HD600. Things as they are, however, I'm tilted more toward the Bada. Undoubtedly, I'll let go of the HD600 before reliquishing the K501.

And, lastly, to be completely honest, I prefer the characteristic presentation of the (fluid, tonally/harmonically complex) Bada to the (authoritative, well-controlled/ordered) Darkvoice, to which I attribute my preference for the 6SN7 driver to the 6SJ7.

But that's just one, lowly layman's opinion! : )

Told ya it would be a tough call to let go off the bada. Mod it, and see you'll like it even more. The 6sn7 tube is a really good tube!

Did you try the hd650's on the bada? On my modded bada, wich is at the shop for repairs at the moment, the hd650 is totally under control.

To be honest, i think the bada is tonally closer to the real instruments then most other amps out there.

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #35 of 157
Quote:

Boy, I sure would like to hear the DT880/2003 with the DV337, too! : )

FHuang, if your DT880 are the 2005 version, I can understand the "midbass bloat" issue. IMHO, Beyer tried to compensate for the slight recession in the lower midrange/upper bass of the 2003 version, but in the process lost the wonderful extension on both ends.

The Svetlanas are here! Just re-rigged the Darkvoice 337 with the Svetlana 6H13C and JAN Philips 6SJ7WGT, and changed the interconnects from Millersound (copper clad aluminum) to EVS (PCOCC). As a result, the D2000 sound better than before. The K501 still sound extremely disappointing. The HD600, as formerly best of the three on the 337, sound even better.

The Sennheisers seem to "do no wrong" with the 337: by far, the best match I've ever had with the HD600 [the 337]. Very open, but very "tight" at the same time, if you know what I mean. The HD600's bass is the most controlled I've heard; highs and mids are open and detailed; sense of air/space is enhanced with excellent separation; the overall presentation is exceptionally balanced.

While the HD600, IMHO, will never quite lose their "gentlemanly" character--after all, that's what makes them enjoyably Sennheiserish, they optimally undergo "assertiveness" training with Darkvoice. : ) I'm listening to The Dave Brubeck Quartet's "Time Out" (Columbia/Legacy SBM Remaster) right now and nothing is lacking with the (Cardas)HD600/DV337.

In all honesty, I'd probably just as much, perhaps even more enjoy this cd with the K501/Bada PH-12. Add the APS V3 onto the AKGs and it's a fon farewell to the HD600. . . : )

Seriously, the DV337-driven HD600 sound fantastic with these classic jazz tracks!

PAB

I still think with the bada the hd650's are the better headphones.

Most sennheiser headphones are in general very good with classical and jazz.

With the right amp, they get drive and speed and do other kinds of music just as well.

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #36 of 157
Quote:

Completely Shameless/UNABASHED PLUG FOR THE D2000:

Just put the (stock) D2000 back on, after giving the tubes sufficient warm-up. Wow! These are one ever-delightfully surprising set of headphones! I actually prefer their more immediate rendering of the Time Out tracks to the HD600's.

While admitting that the Denon may--emphasis on may--concede to the HD600 in singular degrees of refinement, the D2000 (IMHO--let's not forget that!) maintain an even more heightened sense of air/separation, but seem to integrate the soundstage better at the same time. Who knows? With another driver, say the Sylvania VT-116A or the mesh plate 6SJ7WGTs, that "refinement" gap may become effectively negligible.

Also, I think the music sounds more well/properly developed with the D2000. Bass lines are more foundational, easier to follow and better articulated; cymbal hits are fuller, project better and are more credibly metallic-ringing; mids are rounder and more forwardly balanced; highs are "creamier." Let me be quick to remind myself and the reader that the HD600 are Cardas recabled; the D2000 maintain the stock cable. With a respectable recable, I think the D2000 might pull away by lengths over the HD600.

The HD600 sound concave; the D2000 sound convex while still conveying an excellent sense of realism, openness, balance and synergy.

Thank you, Denon! Your AVR-1905 A/V receiver has proven an agonizing disappointment, but your D2000 headphones continue to be ultimately and unfailingly satisfying!

Excuse me, I've just put on George Jones' "My Favorite Lies" and want some time alone with the D2000. : )

If the denon headphones are that good, why aren't they widely available over here?!
confused.gif
cool.gif
frown.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #37 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Told ya it would be a tough call to let go off the bada. Mod it, and see you'll like it even more. The 6sn7 tube is a really good tube!

Did you try the hd650's on the bada? On my modded bada, wich is at the shop for repairs at the moment, the hd650 is totally under control.

To be honest, i think the bada is tonally closer to the real instruments then most other amps out there.

Tour,
The Mullard 6080s just arrived(!). And the D2000 seem to be coming into their own with the Darkvoice (and the Svetlanas, as they break in). I don't plan on trying the Mullards until next week, when the tube dampers I ordered for them are scheduled to come in the mail. The Svetlanas have not disappointed; and I expect even better things from the Mullards.

Sale of the Cardas/HD600 could fund the V-Caps for the Bada! : ) . . . or the APS V3 recable for the K501! : )

Some months ago, I tried the RAL re-cabled HD650 briefly with the Bada, but did not extensively or critically listen at the time (I was giving more serious ear time to the AKG K701 and K501 then). For an open can, the K501 are my decided preference over either HD6xx, and the HD600 have always been my favorite Sennheiser vs. the HD650. In all fairness, though, I probably "owe" it to myself to objectively re-encounter the HD650.
PAB

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #38 of 157
Quote:

Tour,
The Mullard 6080s just arrived. And the D2000 seem to be coming into their own with the Darkvoice. Sale of the Cardas/HD600 could fund the V-Caps for the Bada! : ) . . . or the APS V3 recable for the K501! : )
PAB

IMHO not a bad idea, to get the vcaps. if you don't like the hd600, don't hang on to it and make some money out of it wich you could use better for other systems.

As much as i liked the hd600/cardas, the hd650 is the better headphone on the bada.

To bad i can't spot the denon d2000 or the denon d5000 over here. I would give it a go, if i could find them here.

Are they expensive over there? maybe i could import one.(weak dollar).

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #39 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the denon headphones are that good, why aren't they widely available over here?!
confused.gif
cool.gif
frown.gif

Tour,
Yes, they are truly exceptional; and no, I haven't a clue why they are at a dearth in your corner of Europe right now. : |
Street price is around $200 USD and change: best deal in headphones today, IMHO!
PAB

Jul 3, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #40 of 157
Got the first russian 1578 tube. Bada is still at the repairshop though.

EDIT:
Got a phonecall from the shop this afternoon, bada suppose to be repaired again.

I'll let you guys know wich combination i like best.

Jul 7, 2008 at 9:59 AM Post #41 of 157
So, the bada is fixed, runs nicely again but here comes the shocker;

in my system, the 3 wgta jan philips tubes sound best of the pack. Even better then the 2 sylvania w's or any russian 1578 tube. The russian 1578 tube was worse of the 3 tubes. The jan philips wgta's are most musical, natural and open sounding of the pack.

So, i prefer the jan philips wgta's best, then the sylvania w's, but they are darker sounding and are not as open, however slightly more dynamic. The russian 1578 was the biggest dissapointment.

Problem is: they are as rare as the w's or the 1578's.

Jul 7, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #42 of 157
I see no reason why it would be shocking that the JAN Phillips tubes sound good. I have other JAN Phillips tube types which all sound excellent.

Jul 7, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #43 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see no reason why it would be shocking that the JAN Phillips tubes sound good. I have other JAN Phillips tube types which all sound excellent.

Because everybody is raving about the russian 1578 and the sylvania w's, well, they are nice but in my system nowhere near the sound of the 3 jan philips wgta's.

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #44 of 157
The Darkvoice 337 is tubed w/2x JAN Sylvania VT-116A and 2x Mullard 6080: the best combination I've tried so far. The D2000 sound nearly flawless with these tubes onboard. The HD600 sounds excellent, too, but just not as enjoyable as the Denon.

The K501 sound noticably better with this tube configuration. As always, the AKG give you back in kind based on the recording. Nancy Griffith's Little Love Affairs (MCA) comes across as bright, grainy and a tad aloof, while the movie soundtrack to Bed of Roses (Milan/HDCD) sounds open, detailed and more involving. This is best the K501 have sounded on the Darkvoice so far: bigger, more effortless and wonderfully seamless. [Multiples better than the HD600, for open cans, IMHO.] Scarlet's "Independent Love Song" is silky, completely intact, well-resolved and has that incredible vocal breadth/"reach" that I have come to appreciate from the K501.

Although, I still think the Bada does a better job with the K501, making them sound more full-bodied and generous. With the DV337, the D2000 sound better than the K501, although perhaps lacking that last scintilla of midrange coherence. As all-rounders, the D2000 handily beat both the HD600 and K501 driven from the DV. : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back