Bada PH-12 v. Darkvoice 337: Informal First Impressions
Jun 26, 2008 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 157

pataburd

Headphoneus Supremus
The first, God willing, of several 337/PH-12 comparisons, with this particular one based on using stock AKG K501 headphones.

BRIEF INTRODUCTION:
After about a week with the Darkvoice, the Bada is back on line. To be honest, the K501 were the sore spot during my initial audition of the 337; I just couldn't quite get them to sound "right." Not one of the various 6SJ7/6AS7* tube combinations I tried seemed to unfetter the inherent musicality of the AKGs, although the RCA 5693/Tung-Sol 5998 pairing came the closest. With the Darkvoice, the K501 sounded a bit stark, despite sounding surprisingly more detailed and even more expansive, if you can imagine that.

*Tubes used:
RCA 6AS7G black plate, GE 6080W, Tung-Sol 5998;
JAN Philips 6SJ7WGT, Philco 7C7, Sylvania VT-116A, JAN Sylvania 7C7, RCA 5963.

SET UP:
To begin with, the Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB is not my favorite driver with the Bada, plus I've exchanged the EVS PCOCC interconnects for the slightly less forgiving Millersound copper-clad aluminum ones (the latter are "NOS" cables that are probably still breaking in, too). On top of all that, I have 2x Raytheon 6SN7GTs (tilted toward the efficient/lean side of the spectrum) in the power sockets. So the set-up right now is not what I'd consider optimal.

PRELIMINARY VERDICT:
Things as they are, though, I must admit that I prefer the K501 driven by the Bada. While not as quiet, detailed, expansive, dimensionally pin-point or dynamically robust as the 337, the PH-12 nevertheless brings a tonal/harmonic richness and lends a fluid coherence that serve the K501 (and my individual listening tastes) more faithfully.

Gordon Lightfoot's vocals ["If You Could Read My Mind" and "The Pony Man"] simply sound more lifelike and full of breath. Also, the K501's headspace sounds more saturated, integrated, organic and involving--at least to my ears. There's a musical delicacy and intimacy with the Bada that, IMHO, the 337 does not or perhaps cannot comparably deliver (at least with the 6SJ7/6AS7 tubes I've tried so far). Switching from the Darkvoice to the Bada brought back the sound of the K501 that I have come to know and treasure.

The Darkvoice 337 and the Bada PH-12 constitute two very different, but respectively enjoyable, listening experiences. The former tends more toward neutrality, iron-clad control and orderliness; the latter is more about synthesis and tonal/harmonic complexity (while employing--at least for me--a more desirable driver tube).

Meanwhile, the Mullard 6080 power tubes are en route for the 337, and I can't wait to try them! However, the critical 6SJ7 driver--no, I haven't tried the Sylvania WGT "mesh plates" yet--may become the consummate point of departure for me and the Darkvoice.

But who knows? One short week with the Darkvoice really isn't much compared to the year or so I've spent with the Bada rolling a lot of 6SN7s, so these first impressions are by no means the end-all. There are plenty more 6SJ7 driver tubes to try yet. : )

FOOTNOTE:
The HD600, on the other hand, have scaled up extremely well with the Darkvoice and, of the three sets of headphones I currently own, are probably the best-sounding/responding with the 337. The Sennheisers step out of the dark and shine quite radiantly with the 337. The HD600 sound better with the 337, and the K501 sound better--or "more themselves"--with the PH-12, IMHE. (That will present complications while a/b-ing the HD600 and the K501.)

The D2000 sound great with either amp; well, perhaps slightly better with the Bada. These Denon are really starting to grow on me! : )

Jun 26, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 157
yes yes yes!
I love your reviews,
thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #4 of 157
Nice review, Patrick. Maybe I will have to try one of these Badas after all...

Jun 27, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #5 of 157
Very good review Pat and well written as usual. I really enjoy your tube comments as well.

You and Skylab have convinced me to try the 337. I think you will grow to like the D2000 more and more as they have nice inner detail which helps differentiate the sound of upstream components such as amps.

Jun 27, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #6 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very good review Pat and well written as usual. I really enjoy your tube comments as well.

You and Skylab have convinced me to try the 337. I think you will grow to like the D2000 more and more as they have nice inner detail which helps differentiate the sound of upstream components such as amps.

TBonner1,
The 337 had been in the back of my mind ever since its introduction a few years back. The only thing stopping me was the overseas shipping, especially given a series of oriental/occidental mishaps (the Little Dot Mk.III, Darkvoice 336i and G&W T2.6F all proved problematic during shipping). Fortunately I was able to find one on the FS threads, and to move quickly enough with the transaction.

Again, this review was specific to the K501. And again, the HD600 underwent quite a transformation between the Bada and the Darkvoice, opening up with the 337 like I've never before heard a Sennheiser HDxx0.

There's still a lot left to learn, and no doubt a lot left to enjoy, about the Darkvoice (like those Mullard 6080s!). IMHO, though--and at these early stages of experimentation, I think the K501 are more compatible with the Bada in terms of getting a more musically involving sound. But a pair of Sylvania 6SJ7WGT mesh plates could very well reverse the percentages tomorrow! : )

And the Denon--Ah yes, the D2000!--what a fine set of headphones these are proving to be: more and more so, as you say, the more time I spend with them. Just full of surprises, always pleasantly beyond expectations, these cans! : )
PAB

Jun 27, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review, Patrick. Maybe I will have to try one of these Badas after all...

Sky,
The Bada would be a welcome addition to your shortlist of Chinese headphone amplifiers to try. : ) Especially with all those 6SN7s you have just lying around!

The price of the PH-12 has gone up, though, quite a bit. From about $395 two to three years ago to $550 currently (almost a 40% hike--yike!).

Again, strictly in terms of price-to-performance ratio, and given the Bada's current MSRP, the Darkvoice 337 represents the much better value, IMHO (even though you have to buy a second after-market power cord for the unit).

PAB

Jun 27, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #8 of 157
Nice review pataburd.

it shows that everything comes down to preference and matching.

I'll have a go with the russian 1578 tubes myself in a while.

Those denon headphones sound interesting though. Though my main audio shop is also denon dealer, i never heard them talk about these denon phones or never saw it in their stores, strangely enough!

Currently i am running a new NOS set of jan/philips wgta in the bada, really nice musical sound.

I still wanna try the 1578's with the sylvania w's though.

Jun 27, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #9 of 157
Tour,
Just swapped out the Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB driver for the Mullard ECC33, and the two Raytheons for 2x Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB. The HD600 sound much more smooth and open over the Bada, but still a bit dark and slow compared to the Darkvoice. The 337 really "manhandles" the HD600 and makes those drivers yield up a degree of clarity and openness I've never heard from the Sennheisers before.

Eddy Arnold's "I'll Hold You in My Heart" sounds ultra-smooth and alluring right now over the PH-12. : )

The Denon D2000 are well, well worth an audition. They're my all-purpose, "can-(virtually)-do-no-wrong" headphones right now. And they sound super with the Bada!
PAB

Jun 27, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tour,
Just swapped out the Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB driver for the Mullard ECC33, and the two Raytheons for 2x Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB. The HD600 sound much more smooth and open over the Bada, but still a bit dark and slow compared to the Darkvoice. The 337 really "manhandles" the HD600 and makes those drivers yield up a degree of clarity and openness I've never heard from the Sennheisers before.

Eddy Arnold's "I'll Hold You in My Heart" sounds ultra-smooth and alluring right now over the PH-12. : )
PAB

The sylvania w's are certainly faster and more dynamic!

Jun 27, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #11 of 157
The Sylvania W's are amazing tubes. Too bad they sell for $400 a pair!

Jun 27, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #12 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sylvania W's are amazing tubes. Too bad they sell for $400 a pair!

Insider tip:

watch for the smaller sylvania w tubes, they don't have the metal base but exactly the same sound and they go for less!
wink.gif
Nevertheless, not cheap either...

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #13 of 157
Thanks, I wondered about those smaller non metal based ones. But you're right they are not cheap either.

Jun 27, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #14 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Insider tip:

watch for the smaller sylvania w tubes, they don't have the metal base but exactly the same sound and they go for less!
wink.gif
Nevertheless, not cheap either...

With respect to the two different Sylvania 6SN7W, short bottle/black base v. tall bottle/nickel base, I've heard conflicting reports. Some, like Tour, claim there are no sonic differences, while others claim that the metal base version sounds better. Brendon Bevier at Tube World has the two listed on equal footing. : )

I used to have a matched pair of the metal base version. Those and the Mullard CV-181 really made the MPX3 sing!

Jun 28, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #15 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With respect to the two different Sylvania 6SN7W, short bottle/black base v. tall bottle/nickel base, I've heard conflicting reports. Some, like Tour, claim there are no sonic differences, while others claim that the metal base version sounds better. Brendon Bevier at Tube World has the two listed on equal footing. : )

I used to have a matched pair of the metal base version. Those and the Mullard CV-181 really made the MPX3 sing!

I know a source for the cv 181, 2 tubes, 50 euro's each...But if i am not mistaken the cv181 is not an exact replacement for the 6sn7 but draws slightly more current, be carefull.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back