Bad experience with Grado....
Dec 21, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #76 of 115
Dec 22, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #77 of 115

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LOL..if select head-fi members ended up in a tank..IDK what would happen....

Which one's worse: Skullcandy troll in an Apoc or a Mastermind?

IDK...don't skull candy troll's attack with a 100,000 t34's?

T-34, seriously, was a good tank. Soviet doctrine about these things is 'throw an engine and a gun into a sloped crate and call it a tank'. And it worked. Cheap production, wide tracks and that gun was quite good. Germans had complex structures and nice suspensions and all (Panthers), but eventually just can't keep up.
But hey... T-34 reminds me of DPRK, who still operate these things. But send a squad of these and all that's just air through the engine (or molten metal).
Now, if you assign specific tanks to specific types of members (inventories)...

Quote:
disastermouse said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really don't mind a ding or two on a Grado - but I'm sort of weird that way I expect. It DOES take away from the 'ZOMG! Check out my new cans!!' factor, though.
I don't think Grados are the best ones for the wow factor. Well, as if any phone can beat the Ultrasone Editions in looks... (OK fine, L3000)

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #78 of 115

Quote:
I really don't mind a ding or two on a Grado - but I'm sort of weird that way I expect. It DOES take away from the 'ZOMG! Check out my new cans!!' factor, though.

Again, mine havent had so much as a tiny blister on the earcups. Perhaps there is a reason why we pay so much for Grado here - the distributor keeps sending back everything that doesnt pass visual inspection.

Seriously, if your business involved selling Marantz or Denon amps, would you accept something that didnt look good on the showroom floor ? No you wouldnt, and it behooves every headphone reseller, regardless of brand, to maintain the same attitude. Someone mentioned HeadRoom's excellent customer service - maybe its time we started demanding the same of everyone we deal with.

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #80 of 115
Quote:
Sorry Mr. Chen...perhaps you should look around here a bit and you'll see that YOU are the one that is incorrect.

And about 100% of the Sennheiser HD650 headbands will crack over time, as with the Shure SE530 cables (initial year's production). I've owned the following Grados WITH ZERO issues:

SR60
SR125i
SR225i
SR325is
RS-1
RS-1i (still own)

Many of my Head-fi friends who happen to own Grados have had ZERO issues as well. That's not to say that everything is perfect, but these are hand made headphones and slight imperfections go with the territory....with their retro look, some consider it character. Now the photo the OP showed is NOT acceptable IMO and he should have been given a replacement pair after dropping $700. His customer service was disappointing to say the least.

Your data is anecdotal at best. Don't forget, Head-fi likely makes up a small percentage of Grado's total sales worldwide. They've been in business for a long time and that does not happen by chance.

the hd650 headband crack overtime but NOT the first time when you recieved them...while grado the headphone arrives in awful condition

Dec 22, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #82 of 115
Yeah...I didn't make the cut. Evidently it's cool around here to call people names and insult their sexuality but flippin' the bird smilies are a big no-no. 

Quote:
hah! I SURVIVED!!!

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #83 of 115
I think you guys should uh, just PM the mod(s). D'ya see what happened to kboe?
I think that this is just one of the few cases where the product goes wrong, and unluckily the owner falls upon an incompetent agent (over the telephone). That said, having played around with various Grado models in my hands, I can't vouch for the construction quality neither... GS1000 was real good, though, then it better be for that price. I'm just happy that the store owner actually let me play around with them.

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #84 of 115
I guess I don't understand all the negativity towards Grado.  I must be charmed too, I have owned all of the following and have had no issues with any of them:

2 SR80i's
SR125i
SR225i
SR325i
MS2i
HF2

There will always be bad examples from any headphone maker.  For example, the one and only pair of Ultrasones I have ever bought, brand new btw (which are the last pair I will buy from them), had a problem with the input jack into the headphones.  I got the instructions to send them back and get them repaired.  2 weeks later, I am still trying to get an update from them after having emailed them and called them, with zero response back.

But I have emailed Grado quite a few times over the last 18 months or so, and I've always gotten a timely and professional response.

One more thing I would add, is that if I had had that treatment over the phone by any customer service respresentative, I would have immediately asked to speak with their manager to see of they could address the problem.  Having done that with Paypal, AT&T, & Dish Network in the past, I know that that does work.

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #85 of 115
Dec 22, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #86 of 115

Quote:
There will always be bad examples from any headphone maker.  For example, the one and only pair of Ultrasones I have ever bought, brand new btw (which are the last pair I will buy from them), had a problem with the input jack into the headphones.  I got the instructions to send them back and get them repaired.  2 weeks later, I am still trying to get an update from them after having emailed them and called them, with zero response back.

Maybe you already read this thread, but I'm sure the contact information would help: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/518319/ultrasone-s-commitment-to-customer-service
DavidMahler wrote about an abysmal experience with Ultrasone customer service, and eventually the new director of Ultrasone USA, Randy Fuchs, contacted him and resolved the situation. Out of his posts in the thread, at no time was he aggressive or defensive, despite the dozens of posts criticizing Ultrasone.

I do not, and never have, owned a Grado headphone. Yet, I can't help but say that this thread is a farce. kkennally posts about a negative experience, others empathize with them, and John Chen appears and gives his contact info, intent on resolving the problem. Great, right? Then, John Chen starts defensively picking at others over their remarks about Grado, which I'm sure people will agree is a very unprofessional gesture. And presently, this thread is part mass debate over Grado service, part non-sequiturs about nude photos and Soviet tanks - after a moderator cleaned things up. What on earth is going on here? This is Head-Fi, not 4chan.

I'm also curious about the situation on kkennally's part. Grado's probably doing enough backpedaling to cross the Sahara on a tricycle. By the way, that was hyperbole. Hopefully I won't get dogpiled on by Grado representatives.

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #87 of 115

[size=10pt][size=10pt]UPDATE:[/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]Mr. Chen from Grago Labs contacted Audio Advisor (my place of purchase).  This morning I received a phone call from Audio Advisor stating that they are shipping me a new pair of RS1i's even before I have sent them in my defective pair.....WOW(and they are sending me a return label)  That is a first for me. I have been a good customer of Audio Advisor and have spent a decent amount of money with them in the last month.[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]I should get the new RS1i's at the beginning of next week and will let everyone know how things turned out.[/size][/size]

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #89 of 115

Quote:
kkennally posts about a negative experience, others empathize with them, and John Chen appears and gives his contact info, intent on resolving the problem. Great, right? Then, John Chen starts defensively picking at others over their remarks about Grado, which I'm sure people will agree is a very unprofessional gesture. And presently, this thread is part mass debate over Grado service, part non-sequiturs about nude photos and Soviet tanks - after a moderator cleaned things up. What on earth is going on here? This is Head-Fi, not 4chan.

+1.
John Chen wasn't being defensive or rude in the least bit.  People were insulting Grados left and right "Looks like it was put together by a first grader with parts from Target"  "$700 for a product that costs $50 to make", and so he questioned it.  It makes sense for anybody to question that, since Grados are handmade and are really not of that poor construction.  I mean, sure, the weird dent/smudge/thing was a clear error on the part of Audio Advisor, but it doesn't necessitate a five page thread about how Grado's headbands are made from bones stolen from an Indian burial ground and their headphone cushions are made of baby seal fur.  Kennally should have gone to Audio Advisor, the people who sent him the headphones and were expected to do quality control, since they were the distributor and that unique defect should have been noticed at that point. 

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #90 of 115
did they see this thread? that would be a good reason to cooperate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back