Bad experience with Grado....
Dec 20, 2010 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 115

kkennally

New Head-Fier

[size=medium]UPDATE:[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=10pt]I received my new RS1i's today via FedEx and they are absolutely perfect! [/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=10pt]Now I shall spend the next three days listening to them. Mr. Chen came through as promised and I will have to say that if anyone has an issue with Grado in the future that they should contact him.[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=10pt]Thanks' to all who supported me on this site.[/size][/size]

[size=medium]November 20th I purchased a new pair of Grado RS1i's from Audio Advisor. The day I received them[/size]
[size=medium]I opened the box and to my dismay there was a very evident flaw in the left  wooden driver cup. (see thread)[size=small]http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/524800/how-much-money-do-you-need-to-spend[/size][/size]
[size=medium]I I contacted Grado via email and sent them photo's of the flaw. Grado replied to me telling me to send them in and they would see to them right away. Grado received my RS1i's via FEDEX next day air. After eight days I phoned Grado  to check the status of my headphones and was told that they are working on them. Another full week goes by and I phone them again so I could request a tracking number on return of my headphones. Speaking to a semi rude receptionist I am then told that I would not get my phones until mid January? I  then stated to the receptionist " I don't understand....I was told that they were working on them a week ago?"  She then get's a nice attitude and tells me  "that's the way it is....I don't know what to tell ya" Then she gives me a nice big sigh like I am wasting her time. I then state " Well any company would have just sent a new pair out if they were a brand new defective product" She then just gave me the silent treatment. I then said "Just send them back to me the way they are....I will send them back to the place of purchase" Receptionist  "hold on!" she puts me on hold for 3-4 minutes then gets back on the phone and tells me that they can't find my headphones..only 700.00 of my hard earned cash. [/size]
[size=medium]After two more days of calling Grado I finally got them to send my RS1i's back to me.....In the same condition I sent them in with a note stating "nothing wrong with them"[/size]
[size=medium]I have seen some shady camera dealers who operate better than this.[/size]
[size=medium]Buyer beware.........[/size]

[size=medium][/size]

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 115

Quote:
[size=medium]November 20th I purchased a new pair of Grado RS1i's from Audio Advisor. The day I received them[/size]
[size=medium]I opened the box and to my dismay there was a very evident flaw in the left  wooden driver cup. (see thread)[size=small]http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/524800/how-much-money-do-you-need-to-spend[/size][/size]
[size=medium]I I contacted Grado via email and sent them photo's of the flaw. Grado replied to me telling me to send them into them and they would see to them right away. Grado revived my RS1i's via FEDEX next day air. After eight days I phoned Grado  to check the status of my headphones and was told that they are working on them. Another full week goes by and I phone them again so I could request a tracking number on return of my headphones. Speaking to a semi rude receptionist I am then told that I would not get my phones until mid January? I  then stated to the receptionist " I don't understand....I was told that they were working on them a week ago?"  She then get's a nice attitude and tells me  "that's the way it is....I don't know what to tell ya" Then she gives me a nice big sigh like I am wasting her time. I then state " Well any company would have just sent a new pair out if they were a brand new defective product" She then just gave me the silent treatment. I then said "Just send them back to me the way they are....I will send them back to the place of purchase" Receptionist  "hold on!" she puts me on hold for 3-4 minutes then gets back on the phone and tells me that they can't find my headphones..only 700.00 of my hard earned cash. [/size]
[size=medium]After two more days of calling Grado I finally got them to send my RS1i's back to me.....In the same condition I sent them in with a note stating "nothing wrong with them"[/size]
[size=medium]I have seen some shady camera dealers who operate better than this.[/size]
[size=medium]Buyer beware.........[/size]

[size=medium][/size]

ouch....call them again, inform them of the situation

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 115
It's stories like this that's been holding me back from buying a Grado.  I read here that their quality control is almost non-exsistant and the way they treat the parts is like how people treat their trash.

I really hope Audio Advisor will do you right.

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 115
I understand the not-very-good treatment you got from Grado, but why not just talk to Audio Advisor 1st in the 1st place?  That's what I would have done.

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 115
[size=10pt]Right now after this incident I don't really know what to do. My 30 day return with Audio Advisor is now up since Grado had them for 3 weeks. I guess I got screwed.....[/size]
[size=10pt]I have never had a bad customer service experience with a High-end audio company like I have had with Grado.[/size]

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 115

Quote:
It's stories like this that's been holding me back from buying a Grado.  I read here that their quality control is almost non-exsistant and the way they treat the parts is like how people treat their trash.

Well, you're an idiot. These are hand-made headphones, beloved by hundreds of thousands of people all over the world. One or two 'horror stories' and you are prepared to dismiss the entire line - thanks for playing.

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #8 of 115

Quote:
[size=10pt]Right now after this incident I don't really know what to do. My 30 day return with Audio Advisor is now up since Grado had them for 3 weeks. I guess I got screwed.....[/size]
[size=10pt]I have never had a bad customer service experience with a High-end audio company like I have had with Grado.[/size]

Isn't today the 20th so its the last day of warranty?

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #10 of 115
wouldn't hurt to ask the original place of purchase

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #11 of 115
Unless the RS1 is packed differently to every pair of Grados I have owned, the earcups are clearly visible through the plastic on the Grado box. Audio Advisor should have returned this pair to Grado if they felt they were unsaleable, or delegated them to auditioning duties/sold them at a discount - instead, they sold them to you. I work in retail - when we get stock that has been damaged in transit or is otherwise unsaleable, we send it back for store credit. Given that we have done this with 2K laptops, I dont see that Audio Advisor would have had a problem with a pair of RS1is. Grado relies on its dealer network to sell headphones, and I suspect that they have a little more pull than the OP.

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #12 of 115
From what I can tell from the pictures, that seems to be a problem with the finish.  So, if you're confident in your wood working skills, you could try removing the wood parts, sand them down and restain them.  That's what I personally would do.

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #13 of 115

Quote:
Unless the RS1 is packed differently to every pair of Grados I have owned, the earcups are clearly visible through the plastic on the Grado box. Audio Advisor should have returned this pair to Grado if they felt they were unsaleable, or delegated them to auditioning duties/sold them at a discount - instead, they sold them to you. I work in retail - when we get stock that has been damaged in transit or is otherwise unsaleable, we send it back for store credit. Given that we have done this with 2K laptops, I dont see that Audio Advisor would have had a problem with a pair of RS1is. Grado relies on its dealer network to sell headphones, and I suspect that they have a little more pull than the OP.

this doesn't just apply in the land of oz right? with gumdrops and unicorns prancing around causing mayhem on the highways

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #14 of 115

Quote:
From what I can tell from the pictures, that seems to be a problem with the finish.  So, if you're confident in your wood working skills, you could try removing the wood parts, sand them down and restain them.  That's what I personally would do.

that's not a easy thing to pull off, you have to get the varnish/clearcoat to have just the right sheen and the dust and particles

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #15 of 115
Yeah, I would say that firstly, its Grado's fault for not realizing that they used flawed wood for the cup, and secondly its the retailers fault for not recognizing the product is not in sell-able condition to charge retail price.  I'm somewhat surprised by the customer service as well.  However, Grado has had a pretty good track record in the past. 

I hope it all turns out well for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back