Back for more! Thoughts on AKG K240S and Panasonic RP-HXT7
Nov 16, 2010 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tsplash75

100+ Head-Fier
It's been a while since I've actively looked for some new cans, but so far I've ordered a couple pairs of RP-HXT7 as travel cans and I'm considering the K240S for home use from my new MacBook Air.

From my search results so far on both the RP-HXT7 and K240S, there hasn't been much conversation about them lately. Have they fallen out of favor with the Head-Fi world? Also, although my MBA powers my set of MS-1 well, surprisingly without much noise at all, how well would it power the K240S?

Nov 17, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 5
Another question... Would the FIIO E5 be of any value to the K240S?

Nov 18, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 5
Unless it's a k701 or a green Q702, nobody seems to talk about AKG stuff much and I'm not sure why. I guess there's been a lot of talk about the Sextett 240 which is good.

k240 Studio is really a good headphone. It seemed to be one of my very good finds after trying to locate my perfect cheap headphone forever. I actually think it's a far better headphone then even the M50. Only thing that comes close is the SRH-840 to my ears and that's far more expensive. Like, the HD-555 it seems to do a lot of genres quite well and is very comfortable. Very few headphones seem to be good for most genres, but k240S is for me.

The only problem with the k240 is that it's a bit harder to drive to sound it's best. A DAC and amp would be best, but not required. Even an E5 might work.

I liked the k240 so much that I upgraded to the k601. It's a lot better, but has a bit less bass maybe. I really don't think I could give up the k240..

Right now I'm using it for gaming and it seems to do very well for that.

Nov 26, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 5
Thank you for your input, folks! It's greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back