B2's were extremely disappointing. Looking for help with new iem.
Aug 12, 2011 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

2enty3

100+ Head-Fier
So I got my B2's and I was expecting godly, neutral sound. That was not the case.

Now, I'm sure many people love the sound of the B2's and it seems many on head-fi agree that it is a "neutral" IEM, but for me it was nowhere near that mark. The reason?

THERE WAS NO BASS.
 ​
Everything else sounded just wonderful, except for the non-existent low-end. Like, sure, I could "hear" it but it was more of a "flop" sound rather than a "boom". The bass is there, but only when you listening to a bass-only song on high volume. But when I play Rock, DnB, or metal, I can't turn up the low-end without causing the mids and highs to become fatiguing. In my perspective, I cannot understand how this can be regarded as neutral, when there is complete lack of bass. The largest reason why I found these bass-light is because my K701's have more bass than these. And 701's are thrown around here on head-fi as having "no bass".

Now incase you're wondering, I tested these with my electronic drumkit, which was supposed to be the main purpose of these IEM's. This was where the bass from the bass drum would sound like more of a "flop" rather than a healthy " boom". So far I have been using a speaker monitor, and that is generally my benchmark in terms of the sound sig I am looking for.

So, you can clearly see that I am not happy with these at all. Which leads me to look for another iem, with hopefully more bass presence.

TL;DR,

looking for IEM with:

- same price range as B2, $100 - $200
- More bass than B2
- good high extension, ( no veil in upper range, which I have found with more lower-end IEM's.)
- after further consideration, I have decided I would prefer a warmer sound, but is not a necessity
- little microphonics

Or more simply, a B2, with more bass.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Aug 12, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 18
Looks like i'm most probably getting a GR07. :)

Where can I order a GR07? Is there a way to get it in Canada?

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #8 of 18
GR07 can be bought from LendmeURears, ww.earphones on Ebay (may not be authorized) and I think if you look in the appreciation thread or the where to buy thread you will find another ebay resler who is authorized. I got mine from ww.earphone and they arrived in less than 2 weeks (I live in Canada too).

BTW I shied away from the DBA2 because I had it on authority from several experienced members that based on my current preferences I would find it to bass light so I avoided that route and I think they were likely right. The GR07 on the hand does have excellent sub-bass and texture. BUT if your wanting a mid-bass hump you will be disappointed. Personally I LOVE the lack of that hump as I find it make an IEM sound boomy when it's present.

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #9 of 18
I'm going to have to agree that there is definitely some issue with yours, either fit or faulty drivers because I expected them to have pretty much no bass but I was pleasantly surprised with decent body and even moreso with good texture. I'm going to have to disagree about them going down to 20hz, i can hear 20hz just not on the B2's. Maybe if you turn them up to very unsafe listening levels but that test is useless. Also, they seemed reasonably neutral to me.

Now onto the meat of this post, i'm going to have to also agree with the above posters about the GR07. Especially for the purpose of your drum kit as they fantastically reproduce drums, as a poster on the GR07 thread pointed out. Dweaver is absolutely right about the lack of a midbass hump so don't say you weren't warned.

Looking into the Sony EX600's couldn't possibly hurt either.

Edit: I don't find the GR07 to be a B2 with more bass though as the treble is not the focal point but mores because I find the presentation to be immensely different. Different enough to come back here and post this edit.

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
I recently owned the B2s and while they are not overly bassy IEMs, saying they have no bass is just not accurate. My guess is fit, because it sounds like people on Amazon who get deep insertion IEMs and then wear them improperly. Try a triple flange tip with them, the Etys are great, and the bass is there. No, they are no DDM1s or other bassy dynamics, but they are not RE0s either. You are not hearing them for what they are.

I tried them with ety flanges and the complies that came with them. I put them in any way possible. Still no difference. I stuck deep in my ear and even tried upside down. Still no bass.

Quote:
GR07 can be bought from LendmeURears, ww.earphones on Ebay (may not be authorized) and I think if you look in the appreciation thread or the where to buy thread you will find another ebay resler who is authorized. I got mine from ww.earphone and they arrived in less than 2 weeks (I live in Canada too).

BTW I shied away from the DBA2 because I had it on authority from several experienced members that based on my current preferences I would find it to bass light so I avoided that route and I think they were likely right. The GR07 on the hand does have excellent sub-bass and texture. BUT if your wanting a mid-bass hump you will be disappointed. Personally I LOVE the lack of that hump as I find it make an IEM sound boomy when it's present.

If you mean a mid-bass hump like the AKG K240, Than I think I'd be more than happy without that. Right now my other alternative is the K240 and the mid-bass bloat is really quite bothersome.

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #11 of 18
Yes that was what I meant and if that's how you feel you will really like the Gr07. I am reviewing 4 lower priced IEM's a most have that mid bass and it's driving me crazy. Having said that I am not familiar enough with the K240 to know what it's mid-bass is like.

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
I tried them with ety flanges and the complies that came with them. I put them in any way possible. Still no difference. I stuck deep in my ear and even tried upside down. Still no bass.

Shure Foamies?  IDK if you've tried those yet, or if they'll fit. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #13 of 18
Does anyone know if fakes exist?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vsonic-GR07-R07-Professional-earphone-IEM-ear-/320741178128?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item4aada9fb10

not sure if authorized seller..... he says he is...

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #14 of 18
To fake those specific models of headphone would be a waste of time.  The fakers wouldn't make money off of them, they aren't popular enough. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back