B&W P5 Headphones: An Unboxing of the Bowers & Wilkins P5 Headphones
Apr 18, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #631 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Leave the poor guy alone! Haven't you ever been really enthusiastic about something, like really tasty water or something!
popcorn.gif

lol. and soo true..
smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farnsworth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, really. Gorgonmusic hasn't been forceful or disrespectful at all. He's just found a headphone he really likes and is giving his views as to why.

Exactly.. Im actually a nice guy just in love and lust with some cans that some folks hate..lol
smile.gif

AND TO EVERYONE I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THAT I DO THINK THAT THE P5S SHOULD HAVE COST $250... THE $300 MARK PUTS THEM IN THE "ULTRA HIGH EXPECTATIONS CATEGORY" That was my olive brach to my detractors..
redface.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #632 of 702
These Headphones are meant to be portable. Flagship they are not. People get the wrong idea with the price? Crazy expectations????

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #633 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These Headphones are meant to be portable. Flagship they are not. People get the wrong idea with the price? Crazy expectations????

True but i am very very impressed with the clarity that these cans maintain at very high volume.. its like they get comfortable when driven hard,,. no audible stress or struggling at all..

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #634 of 702
Just tried these @ the apple store from the HO of an iPhone. Aesthetically very gorgeous, comfort is equally impressive. Overall though, its sound reminds me of the Bose On-Ear headphones...lots of bass/mid-bass that doesn't extend into sub-bass spectrum, and some treble roll-off with a slight hint of shrillness.

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #635 of 702
The only beef I have with them is when auditioned them before they came out, felt that they needed to be amped and did not bring one to the demo.

Apr 18, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #636 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't think it's a crazy expectation to expect $300 headphones to sound good.

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #637 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by raccoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it's a crazy expectation to expect $300 headphones to sound good.

^^^lol.. funny guy.. they sound great but the folks that dont like their sound are saying they cost tooo much.. i feel they are a good value.. but a lower price would deuce the criticism..

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #638 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Leave the poor guy alone! Haven't you ever been really enthusiastic about something, like really tasty water or something!

Enthusiasm is one thing, fanboyism is an entirely different thing.

There are countless threads with VERY enthusiastic people talking about their gear. However, not all those enthusiastic posters reach the level of almost 'blind' praise displayed here by gorgonmusic.

Lots of people were not amused by (most of) his posts, and that includes yourself, immtbiker -- you politely & subtly suggested he showed some restraint. He tried but that, apparently, proved too big a challenge.

He then said he'd stop posting on this thread. Not only did that not happen but now every other post is by him, practically responding to any and every post. He now seems validated by your post and someone else's who said 'The guy just loves his P5's', or words to that effect.

This, I believe, was a thread that interested quite a few people out there, but one single person has managed to put off quite a lot of people round here. gorgonmusic seems to believe he's done nothing wrong. 'Hey, this is the Internet, after all, right? Anything goes because people can't see you or know who you are'

Yes, you most certainly are allowed to show your love and enthusiasm for a piece of gear. But to then pretend to know more -- by wanting to seem knowledgeable and experienced -- than others who CLEARLY know more than you, is quite a different thing.

There's more I could say, but I think this is enough.

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #640 of 702
I first heard of the P5’s when I got an email announcement from B&W. Having B&W speakers I was interested to find out as much as I could. Searching for reviews I found the Head-Fi site, and this thread. Not being totally ignorant of headphones (I have a pair of K701s that I listen to through a Musical Fidelity XcanV8), I find Head-Fi to be a great site.

Since I was looking for a third pair of headphones (I also have a Grado 125), I have been following this thread for a few weeks now, and I must say it has been interesting, much more interesting than most threads because of the interaction between gorgonmusic and the individuals who are corresponding directly with him. I make no comment to this sparing other to say I’ve enjoyed reading the entries.

Back to the P5. . .I did listen to them briefly and I can’t really say one way or another as to how I felt about them. But after reading every entry in this thread, I decided to wait for B&W to offer a “non” portable or home version.

I took my $300 and bought a pair of ATH-AD700 cans and a Little Dot MkIII amp. The total was $324, including shipping. Thanks to all of you. And, now that I’ve found this site, I’m sure you’ll be seeing me.

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #641 of 702
some one get any idea how much is it?

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #642 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Enthusiasm is one thing, fanboyism is an entirely different thing.

Enthusiasm about tasty water should have been enough to exhibit my sarcasm in my post. It was as witty as I could muster.

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #643 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just tried these @ the apple store from the HO of an iPhone. Aesthetically very gorgeous, comfort is equally impressive. Overall though, its sound reminds me of the Bose On-Ear headphones...lots of bass/mid-bass that doesn't extend into sub-bass spectrum, and some treble roll-off with a slight hint of shrillness.

That just sounds like the iPhone's HO.

I find it hard to believe anything with B&W on it could sound like Bose. The Bowers name is far too respectable. Did B&W outsource this somewhere? Otherwise, I'd reserve judgement until I can hear them myself and with a proper source.

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #644 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by jook /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That just sounds like the iPhone's HO.

I find it hard to believe anything with B&W on it could sound like Bose. The Bowers name is far too respectable. Did B&W outsource this somewhere? Otherwise, I'd reserve judgement until I can hear them myself and with a proper source.

The iPhone's headphone out is actually fairly well regarded. Not only that, but these were seemingly designed for that type of source.

I think that's part of the problem with these. People are not being subjective due to the brand. Too many don't seem to want to admit that B&W wouldn't make a stellar product. I've read too many polite "reviews" that tread really lightly and sound a lot like they're making excuses. Sure its not typical $300 headphone good, but...

Fact is, it has happened a lot, good companies making mass market products to pay the bills or pad their balance sheets. Its hard for companies that focus on making good products at not entirely affordable (as in mainstream) prices to be able to keep going. One way is to offer more mass appeal devices, products that the average consumer isn't going to be overly critical of. They use the brand name so that people who are familiar with it will be more likely to choose it over say Bose or some of the others, and if people do research a bit they'll find that the brand is held in high esteem by audiophiles. Strange thing is, apparently the reverse can happen. Look at Monster with their Turbine IEMs.

In the end, its simple. If you don't like it, or don't think its a fair value for the price then speak with your money and don't buy it. Not only that but contact the company directly and tell them that you'd be very interested in a similar product but don't feel it lives up to the brand name. Tell them what they did right, and what you feel they did wrong.

As for my personal take on these. I actually do not like them aesthetically. I like the materials, but not the design. The earpads in particular just do not suit me at all, but I don't like supraural headphones. The sound, well its about the opposite of the type of sound I like, so I'm not going to say its awful beyond the fact that its not what I like at all. Obviously, with both of those things in mind I wouldn't pay the asking price for them. I definitely wouldn't say Bose bad, as the materials alone is significantly superior. I'm actually a bit baffled as well. Not so much by the sound, but the design. I would have thought they'd incorporate more of their design language from their speakers.

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #645 of 702
^Yea the design wasn't my cup of tea if you will. I like the look of stainless steel, leather, and the silver/black color combination, but they just didn't look that good to me. I demoed a pair in an apple store a little after they came out and found the same general results.

The overall sound was a little muddy and reminded me of Bose headphones. I personally think they are marketing these to the younger generation business men. The stainless steel and black leather matches the "look" perfectly and it provides a sound similar to Bose; a brand that has a good chance of already being heard/bought by the target market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back