B&W P5 Headphones: An Unboxing of the Bowers & Wilkins P5 Headphones
Apr 9, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #541 of 702
After about two straight days of burning these in, they do sound better. It's hard to appreciate the improvements, however, since the constant clamping on my ears is distracting. It's a shame because I really like the build quality, but I'll be returning them.

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #542 of 702
I wonder what Apple is going to do with all of the "B-Stock" returns?
Or do they go back to B&W, get a good shine and go back out again?

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #543 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I winder what Apple is going to do with all of the "B-Stock" returns?
Or do they go back to B&W, get a good shine and go back out again?

remember i told you that these phones would not last long in the apple store..lol its just not the right place to sell such a high end item.. if they had put the $200 in sound quality as they did and used regular cheap plastics that everyone is accustomed to, to keep the price lower they would have been a success.. IMOP

And B&W can com our with their first set of cans and expect to persuade hardcore headphone heads like folks on here to change ... BnW has not built up that rep yet! But im sure they will come out with a more "conventional" set the next go round...
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #544 of 702
So, 1st post. I've been browsing these forums for quite a few months for recommendations. I now have quite a few modest headphones, including the P5's (my best set).

I really do like these, I love how they look, I love the build quality, and I love the sound. They sound better than the Grado SR60i's I picked up - but the jury's still out on just how *much* better. The only thing I don't like about these is the cable. It's chincy and seems like it might break with the slightest tug or pull, and yes, I also agree that replacement might be near impossible, primarily due to the machined groove in the headset being so narrow. Fit-wise, these are much better and comfortable than my 440's, which actually hurt the top of my head after a while. The grado's and the Senns' fit well too, and I would say these ranks in the middle in the pack for comfort.

One other thing! I switched cables once, and found that the sound was horrible - but I went back and looked at the cable, and it wasn't fully plugged in to the headset. I had to apply quite a bit of pressure before it clicked. Just a caveat for those that find their P5's sound terrible after a cable swap.

What I'm wondering is, is that I read where someone mentioned that the iBasso T3 amp matches well with these...

I don't have a headphone amp, and I'm looking to pick one up without spending a fortune. The T3 is pretty modest at $120 or so, but should I get a USB DAC/AMP instead for only slightly more? If so, which? The soundcard in my XPS1330 is pretty good - but not great.

I know this is slightly off topic - but I wondered what other intro amps/dacs might match well with these.

And just for the record, my other headphones are:

Grado SR60i's
Shure SE440
Sennheiser HD555 (with foam mod)
B&W P5's

Also, just for the record, Gorgonmusic, these guys are right. You're such a fanboy (I'm a huge B&W Fanboy too fyi- which is why I bought these sight un-seen, and all my speakers are B&Ws) that you create a lot of noise and make this thread less useful (and you may be turning quite a few people off).. although no one denies your right to do so. :p

Lastly, I listen to rock/pop/classic rock/classical/alternative/retro.. and do not consider myself an audiophile (hence the lack of detailed review).

Apr 10, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #545 of 702
Deciding on whether to use an amp or an amp/dac combo, depends on your source. If you are using an iRiver H1XX, then the amp/dac combo is definitely the way to go, if you are using a DAP with just a line out, then an external amp is the only alternat-ivee
These were made to be used, un-anmed, directly from the headphone port, but they sound better using an amp or a dac amp combo if your source supports it.

What is your source? This needs to be known to properly answer your question properly.

Apr 10, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #546 of 702
The source is my XPS1330 (laptop), and occasionally my iPod 3G. I'm in the process of converting all my music to ALAC, because I also have a squeezebox.. it's the happy medium. The squeezebox can play alac, but iTunes can't play FLAC. Not ideal but I have to live with it. It's not future proof in case I decided to move from iTunes.. (and I tolerate iTunes.. I do not 'like' it).

Will the amp/dac make a very significant difference?

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #547 of 702
I demoed them today at the local Apple store and can confirm what others have described - small, stylish and sturdy with a pleasant, non-fatiguing sound and rolled-off highs. They did vocals very well and reminded me of the older HD650.

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #548 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by justpete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's chincy and seems like ...

"chintzy"

Apr 11, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #549 of 702
First impression at the Apple store today.....
I didnt like the sound of the B&Ws. Ill have to hear them again with my own equipment, being they were attached to a stupid iphone plug that wont work on normal 3.5mm jacks.

Theyre not worth $300usd. Maybe $75-100 , possibly.

Ill have to try them again to be sure, but thats my first impression.

They were comfortable. I dont know how someone would change the pads, but they felt ok, and blocked some noise in the store. Highs rolled off, sound didnt project....it sounded like the sound didnt leave the ear-cups much.
I think even with a better test with my own equipment, i still wouldnt pay $300 for phones didnt sound any better than my $49 Sony NC6 at first listen.

I expected alot more from a highend company like B&W.

Apr 11, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #550 of 702
Quote:

Deciding on whether to use an amp or an amp/dac combo, depends on your source. If you are using an iRiver H1XX, then the amp/dac combo is definitely the way to go, if you are using a DAP with just a line out, then an external amp is the only alternat-ivee
These were made to be used, un-anmed, directly from the headphone port, but they sound better using an amp or a dac amp combo if your source supports it..

Why would an amp/dac combo be the way to go when using an iRiver H1xx? Any reason an amp-only solution would be inferior?

Apr 11, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #551 of 702
I just listened to them at Apple. I was kind of aggrevated at trying to find suitable music
on their iPod to get a good idea of how they sound. The Jazz was a few old crackily cuts
by Charlie Parker and Count Basie. I have a few great sounding Basie albums that would
have been alot better than the terrible selections they had. So to be honest I really don't
want to judge them by what I heard. I couldn't figure which side was R and L as they
aren't marked; I assumed that the cord side was R, but didn't sound any different than
the other way around. None of the store employees seemed to know about that or
anything else. Also the P5's don't isolate very well, especially compared to my Senn 25-1's, but when the music is turned up it doesn't matter. I was hoping that the cord would contain a track toggle as well as a volume but it didn't. The phones themselves were constructed very well and looked pretty nice. I will wait until my local audio store gets them and maybe try them again.

I watch parents leave their chilren bang on and abuse the iPods and it's a wonder they even function!

Apr 11, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #552 of 702
And just looking at the replies before mine, they don't look "chintzy" and definitely look
more expensive than $75-100! The cord could be thicker but you can tell that they
are not cheap and one should be weary about wearing them in a questionable area.

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #553 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't figure which side was R and L as they
aren't marked; I assumed that the cord side was R, but didn't sound any different than
the other way around. None of the store employees seemed to know about that or
anything else.

The marking is on the little round piece that connects to earpiece. The cord is on the left.

I'll agree with many others here; the Apple store is far from the ideal place to audition these phones. I had my own source when I went in, but after 45 minutes I still couldn't really get a good feel for how they sounded. So I bought them knowing that I had 14 days to try them out in a number of more realistic situations (at home, on the plane, in a live mixing environment, etc). I've got about a week left, but I'm thinking I may end up returning them. I'm really starting to like the sound (after about 40 hours of burn-in), but the clamping pressure causes too much pain for my ears (I wear glasses, which also contribute to the pain).

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #554 of 702
I dont care how pretty they are, or expensive-looking, if they dont sound like $300.

I have to hear them again, but my first impression stands until i do.
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #555 of 702
Quote:

"chintzy"

Quote:

What is your source? This needs to be known to properly answer your question properly.

Rather than picking on my spelling, what about the amp question?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back