B&W P5 Headphones: An Unboxing of the Bowers & Wilkins P5 Headphones
Apr 8, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #526 of 702
The build quality of the headphones themselves is outstanding.

The included cables are very thin and un-inspiring, though
frown.gif
But I believe you are correct in that the connection scheme coupled with the manner in which the cable is snaked through the earcup close to the earpad assembly, and the absolute requirement of the earpad assembly to be snugly coupled to the headphone, means that any sort of aftermarket cable is highly unlikely.

I played around a LOT last night with positioning on my ear, and while it definitely does matter, it did not change the overall sound significantly IMO (assuming we are talking only about reasonable positionings to begin with
biggrin.gif
). But I am hopeful that burn-in will open them up some.

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #527 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The build quality of the headphones themselves is outstanding.

The included cables are very thin and un-inspiring, though
frown.gif
But I believe you are correct in that the connection scheme coupled with the manner in which the cable is snaked through the earcup close to the earpad assembly, and the absolute requirement of the earpad assembly to be snugly coupled to the headphone, means that any sort of aftermarket cable is highly unlikely.

I played around a LOT last night with positioning on my ear, and while it definitely does matter, it did not change the overall sound significantly IMO (assuming we are talking only about reasonable positionings to begin with
biggrin.gif
). But I am hopeful that burn-in will open them up some.

Try the P5s with the iBasso T3. It is a very nice matchup. Improved soundstage and transparency

Ron

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #528 of 702
I was using it with the iQube, which I consider to be a paragon of transparency in a portable amp.

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #529 of 702
nice to see so many folks using the P5vers..
smily_headphones1.gif
I have mine at work as my co workers said he heard about them and begged me to hear mine so now he has my iphone and P5s oves in his cube listening very comfortable.. think im gona have to keep an eye on him so that he does not neek out the back door.. lol

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #530 of 702
Quote:

I was using it with the iQube, which I consider to be a paragon of transparency in a portable amp.

Now I'm even more looking forward to your review!! :p And if the T3 is doing well already, I may consider buying the bunch :p

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #531 of 702
So Rob, According to your signature, which rig do you think that these will play a role in?

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #532 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So Rob, According to your signature, which rig do you think that these will play a role in?

The plan was to use them as portables, on the road, with the iQube. I have been using the Senn PXC350, and still will have to for sure on airplane trips, but when I travel another way, or when I am gone a long time, I want to have another, non-NC headphone for that. I am hoping the P5 will fit there. I had bought the Ed 8's for that, but decided I liked them for home use too much to take them on the road.

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #533 of 702
A man with a plan.

I like that, that means that there's a method to your madness.
If we didn't have plans, we would all walk around aimlessly,
bumping into walls.

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #534 of 702
having 2nd thoughts about keeping the p5's as I'm finding them tight and giving me a headache.

I don't have too much experience with headphones, do they usually fit better
after some time? If i return this and get the esw9's instead, is that more comfortable?

Can owners of both please chime in... appreciate it!

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #535 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by cowincanada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
having 2nd thoughts about keeping the p5's as I'm finding them tight and giving me a headache.

I don't have too much experience with headphones, do they usually fit better
after some time? If i return this and get the esw9's instead, is that more comfortable?

Can owners of both please chime in... appreciate it!

It is likely going to be dependent on how tight they were on your head to start with. I have at least an inch on either side of the headband and mine are only extended down about an inch. They definitely do loosen up though, although mine were not giving me a headache when I got them.

You may want to call B&W and ask them what their experience has been. Like good shoes though, these are meant to be portable headphones and it is likely that B&W designed the P5s to clamp a bit more than is comfortable when new, so that they don't fly off your head when moving about as they break in. One theory anyway.

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #536 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by cowincanada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm finding them tight and giving me a headache.

They loosened up for me too, but my head is on the medium/small side. I still get a little sore after 4-5 hours but it's getting better.

I think you should be able to find a point to bend the metal out a bit like you would sunglasses to get a better fit. I don't think that would hurt anything. But I think calling B&W is a good idea. I'll bet they have a suggestion.

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #537 of 702
thanks for the replies guys. i emailed b&w, and see what they say. for now i've just put some cds (roughly same size as my head i guess) in between to simulate the p5's being worn. i switched to my rarely used ms1i, and they feel a lot better

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #538 of 702
First post on this website.

I started with the PMX100, after the cable near the jack was damaged I moved on to the Sennheiser HD238. After four months again the same problem. — I'm not sure it was due to me being imprudent or due to the quality of the cables, but I guess my own fault. The HD238 were twice as expensive but only slightly better and harder to drive on my iPod Touch. As I was searching for a more high-end solution, I read about the P5's. I was interested from the start. I followed them for months, but eventually bought PX100 as a temporary solution in Februari. One week later Apple sold them in store.

I must admit that I bought them without trying them for a long time, blinded by the marketing jabber, the design (yes, I like the design very much) and the premium feel (and location, I bought them in an Apple Store). Back home I tried them and I deluded myself that I liked what I heard. Although very good at some moments, other things sounded rather strange and 'unreal'.

Luckily the more I listened to them, the better they sounded. I got my 'aha-erlebnis' when I tried my brother's On-Ear Bose. The first time I tried them, I liked them very much. Although I didn't listen to them for more than 2 minute listen. After my brother bought them, they didn't live up to the price tag at all( the Bose, that is). So listening to my P5's for a while and then switching to my brothers Bose, was a magnificent and horrible experience. Horrible was the sound of the Bose and magnificent to hear how much better my P5's were.

Another reason i bought them is the focus on portability and the fact they were designed with the iPod in mind. And I must say, they sound pretty good when used with an iPod, easy to drive.

Another thing I noticed — in my limited experience– is that the content you use with the P5 can make a big difference. I listen mostly to Dire Straits, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan. And I'm very pleased with what I'm hearing. Knopflers Strat, Led's musicality, Dylan voice and Floyd's left to right sound experiments, they all sound really good.

But most important I think is the recording. Most studio albums sound good, especially in FLAC. Some are special like Making Movies, Live at BBC(also Dire Straits), How The West Has Won(Live Led Zep) and Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall.

Those P5's can 'wow' me with these albums. Dire Straits - Live in Germany on the other hand is despite the good music 'to loud' or 'to upfront' — I'm not good in describing sound — probably due to the recording. And things like Metallica and Black Label Society all sound pretty good but are more fatiguing than those earlier mentioned.

I'm really glad with my P5's the fit my need for now. Although I can imagine that cans can sound way better than this, I don't how to describe this but probably the same way these are better than the PX100.

Are they worth 250 pounds(that's what I paid for them)? Yes, in my opinion they do, very nice sound, very nice design, very good build quality.

My last thing, I would like to say is that coming from cheap Sennheiser, you really need to learn to listen to these cans and this is not only a matter of burn-in. Cheap cans in combination with MP3's, they change expectations people will have. Especially bass is way less than on my previous phones and it took me some time to adjust. But now I can hear a difference in bass, so that's a good thing.

There is only one thing I would like to now. How much difference does a headphone amp+DAC make with these cans? And what would you recommend? I read Pico is good.

That's all folks,
Greetings, G.

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #539 of 702
Quote:

After spending a couple days comparing the P5 to my other house phones of roughly the same price category or less, (Sony F1, various Yuins, Maestro 8.300D) I decided to return the P5's. I evaluated them using several different amps: iBasso D10, D4, T3, RSA Protector, and K.I.C.A.S.

While I thought the construction was excellent, the sound, while good, did not seem to me to be a perceptable improvement over my other comparison phones; additionally, I found the soundstage seemed to me to be somewhat constricted. Perhaps that impression that was due to the moderate, but always there, pressure on my ears.

At any rate, considering SQ vs dollars, I couldn't really envision using them in place of my other phones. I had intended for them to be my "in-bed" phones, but found that my IEMs serve that purpose better. Additionally, most of my phones are now balanced, and having one more set of SE phones ultimately didn't seem to make sense.

They are, IMO, not bad phones in any way, but in the final analysis, they just didn't reach out and grab me like some others have.

Ron

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #540 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After spending a couple days comparing the P5 to my other house phones of roughly the same price category or less, (Sony F1, various Yuins, Maestro 8.300D) I decided to return the P5's. I evaluated them using several different amps: iBasso D10, D4, T3, RSA Protector, and K.I.C.A.S.

While I thought the construction was excellent, the sound, while good, did not seem to me to be a perceptable improvement over my other comparison phones; additionally, I found the soundstage seemed to me to be somewhat constricted. Perhaps that impression that was due to the moderate, but always there, pressure on my ears.

At any rate, considering SQ vs dollars, I couldn't really envision using them in place of my other phones. I had intended for them to be my "in-bed" phones, but found that my IEMs serve that purpose better. Additionally, most of my phones are now balanced, and having one more set of SE phones ultimately didn't seem to make sense.

They are, IMO, not bad phones in any way, but in the final analysis, they just didn't reach out and grab me like some others have.

Ron

Great post ... I fully understand and since the P5s are my faves I would not replace them for another set of cans unless the new ones sounded they way i like and performed better than the P5s to me..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back