B&W P5 Headphones: An Unboxing of the Bowers & Wilkins P5 Headphones
Mar 15, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #121 of 702
I think with those pads, it would be a warmer sound than their speaker line...but i guess we will see.

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #122 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...] I found that they leak high frequencies, but overall they leak less sound than other closed backed cans such as the Denon AH D1001 and Goldring NS1000.

They are more neutral than the Denon AH D1001 and Dr Dre Beats, both of which I find to have too much bass emphasis. [...]

Thank you for the comments. Would you care to expand your thoughts on the P5 compared to the AH-D1001? How about the resolution and the sound stage? High-end detailing?

As I see it, the P5 and the AH-D1001 fight for the same category of buyer, despite the huge difference in price, as they both are designed for portable players and because of that both sets of headphones are (more or less) portable.

I can understand that the P5's are more expensive as they're of a much higher build quality and use better material, but this is also what I think will make the sales of the P5 hurt. Personally I'm rather reluctant to pay twice as much over the AH-D1001 if the sound isn't at least twice as good. Dollar for dollar the P5's are competing against headphones like the AH-D2000 which are built for "regular" home use. The B&W P5 would need to sound extraordinarily good compared to the AH-D1001 for me to consider them instead of a pair of AH-D2000 (as I already own the AH-D1001).

Prog Rock Man, I've concluded, based on your replay, that you have personal experience of the AH-D1001. Would you buy the B&W P5 instead of the Denon AH-D1001, given that you cared (somewhat) about your wallet? What would you chose if you had to chose between the AH-D2000 and the P5, given that you already owned the AH-D1001 for "portable" use?

Thank you in advance!
beerchug.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #123 of 702
I switched to PC audio before most people had net access. I have been using the pc as a source for over 15 years. Honestly, I cannot remember, but I did always wonder why people paid more for the closed apple platform. Even in music production and mastering. Besides the point, but a valid example of why it makes less sense to tether to a closed and tightly controlled ecosystem.

I could do what I wanted with my PC, even built, several bit-perfect PC sources, currently having two, a modest speakers system with a tubed NOS Dac, A USB S/pdif out, monarchy DIP, and I restored the last "loose" NAD poweramp with new caps and such, keeping nearfield and towers on the a/b posts one for listening, one for movies that I use my PC to play and send to the TV panel. I built for speed and quiet. I generally, as of late, tend to use it more as a host for serving my music from the RAID5 setup I use to store my music, and play it on a laptop outputting to another s/pdif out for bit-perfect into an older NOS dac and a separate tubed output buffer, onto the headphone amp. I have thought of involving a better pre than the pre section in the headphone, "Integrated", but I am not sure if I want to make the switch over to this new obsession yet, in full.

I predicted mp3s would change the recording industry before winamp was out of beta, and I am currently, very actively involved in pushing FLAC as a universal standard. I would have liked to use DSD, but that is Sony for you. PC audio is not just plg in and go. The software chain is as important, often as the hardware, but iTunes certainly does not represent the direction any of us should be hoping to go.

Before I go on, I will say, for the record, that I would have been disappointed had B&W tethered themselves to any platform so exclusively. I am not so much anti-apple on that issue, as I am bothered by the worship of any closed platform as a major selling point of a product. This is because these look well engineered, well thought out, but I hate to say it but Creative, Microsoft, Sandisk, etc... they are as much, or more, associated with PC and digital audio as a whole than apple, so that argument doesn't fly. Creative was, quite literally, one of the reasons apple released the ipod in the first place. How soon do we forget that apple did not invent portable digital audio. Creative didn't either, but they were first with a product on the shelves, first with the "clout" you speak of. Their mistake was, interestingly, exactly what apple does. I always wonder why apple fans accept restrictions as features, where on any other platform, it kills a product. The Rio, killed by the obfuscated process of managing music on the player, then the same with anything Sony tried to do. Sony had a 20gb player the size of a nano, years ago, but why buy it if the only way to get songs onto it is by using it's proprietary software? Wait, so why DID that product fail then, if apple makes you jump through as many hoops. I never worry about this with a netbook and a good usb s/pdif out, besides, itunes, to get it to output bit-perfect audio, takes technical ability, not much, but some, and the funny thing is, the difference between apple and PC users can be summed up in the way either approaches a technical problem.

If something on an open platform dies, we just replace it. If we want a feature, someone, even one's self, may write a program to do whatever it is. When my battery fails in this laptop, I buy another. I have a higher capacity battery for all day computing, but how can I do this with a macbook? Iphone? Ipod? Apple designed each product from the first gen ipod on, for planned obsolescence. It is not like you cannot get a new battery, but you have to bring the laptop to the store! You have to mail out your player! You go to the "genius bar" and let them do something that was artificially put in place to get you to go to the "genius bar".

I don't like when any company aligns themselves with a company that has such poor ethics. Grado's flagships are hand made, and ipods are well known for being built under sweatshop conditions in China. China has created a lot of good hifi, it is not as if there are no sweatshops elsewhere in the world, but in an industry that really is niche, like it or not, no matter now many people are toting iphones around, a very very small % care about more than lady googoo's next 128k aac file.

This is why I said what I said. Regardless of whether apple can compete, of course they can, but it isn't the hardware so much as the software and culture. Apple users accept as standard, things that would certainly piss off anyone else. There is a very valid reason the iPhone was jailbroken so quickly, and it is dirty pool not to give the 3g the 3gs upgrades beyond copy and paste... The hardware in the 3g could support every one of them. Even the egde phones could support all non 3g features, but that would prevent people from buying a 2nd or 3rd phone in just a couple years. (seriously... you talk about market domination, and they just mastered the art of copy and paste)

I stand by what I said. Apple does not own the DAP market. Like it or not, there are more players of other brands out there than apple branded products, and these players have no issue playing LAME 320 or FLAC at any bitrate. There are boxes made to rout audio to your speakers system, and you get bit-perfect output, but we are not talking speakers really. B&W made a product for the Shaper Image, not even the white earbud crowd. Purposefully complicated, and planned obsolescence, a closed system that allows no open development, and like my SACD example, only apple can approve an application. While DSD may sound better than redbook, the innovation took place with redbook and other open formats. The same will happen with apple. Devs all over are choosing platforms like android, or winmobile, symbian, and while these may not be as polished as OSX, coverflow, whatever, it doesn't matter. There is only one iphone, but there are countless open platforms. I would be a fool to place my eggs in apple's basket. Just look at the iPad and how pathetic a device it is. My netbook is not even current gen, yet it was much cheaper, runs an OS with open development, and has a battery that lasts longer, with true wide screen, and a real keyboard, x86 processor that has no trouble with FLASH, nor being the platform for the source of a headphone system, using wifi to pull from my main box in the other room.

Now, B&W can tether themselves to such a closed platform where artificial limitations are features, or, they could drop the apple talk, no pun intended, and just associate themselves with digital audio IN GENERAL. It doesn't matter what the white earbud crowd does, really, the digital music revolution was not began by apple, and it won't be lead by apple. It began with people like myself, and it will be lead by open platforms that have no nonsense UIs, while apple remains "the niche" product. If B&W really did want to break out of a niche maket, they would not attach themselves to a niche product. No matter how trendy they are, Apple products, most users, are not going to be using a software/hardware chain that could drive these to their full potential. The same can be said about other platforms, except there are a hell of a lot of other platforms, each with a similar issue, but as a whole, easily eclipse the market B&W appears to be going after if you read the marketing copy.

I am going to stop ranting and say, after working briefly in a marketing department, I left to advance my career, and also out of frustration, because a well engineered product that comes with standard connectors, or interfaces, (known as HIDs), is engineered to work with everything that supports that standard. Apple did not invent a single part being used here, so why tie to such a closed platform, when clearly, the product was engineered for all DAPs, but even more important, is the mic.

Look at all the posts about gaming here! Where is that gaming going to be taking place? I think everyone here knows the answer, and it is not what the marketing copy would want you to think.

Sorry it took so long to respond, and that is also why this is a little ranty, time constraints. I did, however, write this on my netbook, that has a battery life with windows xp, that is greater than the iphone, or what the ipad is currently measuring atm. This is playing music or movies as well, winamp running in the background with a good input and output set of plugins for ASIO, bit perfect output, and easily connected to my system. Please explain to me why it is smart to tether one's self to an inferior platform? B&W could simply market the digital audio market as a whole. They could place themselves in gaming, in portable computing, DAPs of all kinds, and so forth, and yes, *WE* know these things to be true, but does the average customer that sees B&W as the "bose" of audiophililia?

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #124 of 702
Personally, I wouldn't be considering the P5 if I didn't need isolation on my commute (never been happy with iem's comfort). Headphones like ESW9/10 would be fine if I didnt have to contend with train noise and street noise all the way to uni but unfortunatly this isn't the case. It always seems like theres a compromise in design with portable headphones, like the HD25; good sound, excellent isolation, poor comfort. Hopefully this set will prove good on all fronts.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #125 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I... a?

Having quoted the relevant part of your post (plus two extra letters for clarity), I have to wonder what you are talking about in relation to this thread? The B&Ws come with two cables and are therefore quite universal in application. In addition, they are specifically attractive to a owners of DAPs from the market leader by offering a very useful remote on one of the cables. (How dare they not ignore commercial considerations! Where are their principles!)

Incidentally, I like FLAC too. And Foobar. And Windows 7. And my Thinkpad X301 with its 6+ hours of battery life. And my H140 before it broke. And the iPhone. Don't like iTunes but it works as a synching tool. Just establishing my street cred so that we can speak as equals.
wink_face.gif

I do wish you luck promoting FLAC as universal standard (genuinely). Now back to the scheduled program.

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #126 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the comments. Would you care to expand your thoughts on the P5 compared to the AH-D1001? How about the resolution and the sound stage? High-end detailing?

As I see it, the P5 and the AH-D1001 fight for the same category of buyer, despite the huge difference in price, as they both are designed for portable players and because of that both sets of headphones are (more or less) portable.

I can understand that the P5's are more expensive as they're of a much higher build quality and use better material, but this is also what I think will make the sales of the P5 hurt. Personally I'm rather reluctant to pay twice as much over the AH-D1001 if the sound isn't at least twice as good. Dollar for dollar the P5's are competing against headphones like the AH-D2000 which are built for "regular" home use. The B&W P5 would need to sound extraordinarily good compared to the AH-D1001 for me to consider them instead of a pair of AH-D2000 (as I already own the AH-D1001).

Prog Rock Man, I've concluded, based on your replay, that you have personal experience of the AH-D1001. Would you buy the B&W P5 instead of the Denon AH-D1001, given that you cared (somewhat) about your wallet? What would you chose if you had to chose between the AH-D2000 and the P5, given that you already owned the AH-D1001 for "portable" use?

Thank you in advance!
beerchug.gif

My experience of the Denons is limited to the AH D1001s and a couple of 10 minute listens. The P5s are not twice the price better, but where they won hands down was neutrality. To me the P5s did everything well across the frequency range. I found the Denons to be too bass heavy which overwhelmed the lower mid range and the treble was dull. On the other hand the Denons felt more dynamic. Both had a limited soundstage, but I usually use open backed headphones and so all closed backed sound limited to me. Both did well with clarity and detail, but with both being auditioned in shops it was not ideal.

I am sure the Denons leaked more noise than the P5s as well.

I will not buy either as the Denons are too coloured and the P5s too much money for the SQ. You are paying extra for the metal, lambs leather, style and name.

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #127 of 702
So if these B&W P5's were $200 would they be considered more of a home run by those who have auditioned them?

It might be a good isolating portable to pick up in the 2nd hand market down the road. The looks are just pulling me in though and making me want to order them - I really am a sucker for design and aesthetics.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #128 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by shawntp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if these B&W P5's were $200 would they be considered more of a home run by those who have auditioned them?

It might be a good isolating portable to pick up in the 2nd hand market down the road. The looks are just pulling me in though and making me want to order them - I really am a sucker for design and aesthetics.

Then you may well be delighted with them. You have to pay extra for design and build quality with more expensive materials. At £250 here in the UK I would say £150 is on the SQ, £75 is on the build and £25 on the advertising and image.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #129 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike8585 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Knowing BW, most likely designed by them, and built at Foster in China, like the Zeppelin.

And that was a disaster.
Zeppelins are known to fail from a faulty capacitor in the iPod power supply module.
Mine failed in less than 150hrs, what a shame for such an expensive unit.
I would wait for these HP's for a few months before I would buy any.
Personally I won't buy them as I lost my faith in B&W after the Zeppelin fiasco.

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #130 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And that was a disaster.
Zeppelins are known to fail from a faulty capacitor in the iPod power supply module.
Mine failed in less than 150hrs, what a shame for such an expensive unit.
I would wait for these HP's for a few months before I would buy any.
Personally I won't buy them as I lost my faith in B&W after the Zeppelin fiasco.

Now everything is made in china
tongue_smile.gif
... blame no buddy but economy unless US or any other countries can having such low labour cost!!!

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #131 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...]I will not buy either as the Denons are too coloured and the P5s too much money for the SQ. You are paying extra for the metal, lambs leather, style and name.

Somehow, I could sense that this would be the answer to my earlier question... don't know why...
wink_face.gif

You're basically speaking my mind (apart from the SQ of the Denons). The local price of a pair of Denon AH-D1001 is roughly €180, yesterday when I asked about the price for the B&W P5 I got the answer "about €340". Now, I'd be more than willing to pay up to about €50 more for the extra "bling", even though if the P5 SQ would turn out to be negligible better than the AH-D1001. But €340! Come on B&W, what where you thinking...
confused_face.gif
All of a sudden images of diamond covered cellphones pops up in my head, I wonder why...

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #132 of 702
Wait, are these more expensive for those of you in the EU and a little cheaper for us in the U.S.?

$299.99 U.S. dollars (U.S. Apple Store Price) = €219.05 (Euros) right now

...I saw these are 250£ in the UK Apple store which = $377 US. Seems dollar for dollar these will be about 20-25% cheaper for US buyers.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #133 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by shawntp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, are these more expensive for those of you in the EU and a little cheaper for us in the U.S.?

299.99 U.S. dollars (U.S. Price) = 219.05 Euros right now

...I saw these are 250 in the UK Apple store.

Don't forget the VAT included in those UK prices (@ 17.5%)

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #134 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by sam3k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget the VAT included in those UK prices (@ 17.5%)

So to reverse the US Price, $299 USD plus consider a 17.5% tax would be...
~$350 USD which converts to ~230 Pounds, so I guess they are still al little cheaper state-side. This is probably the same as with ipods/etc - I am only surprised I guess because B&W is a UK company.

Given the price and my areas tax I can get the delivered for the equivalent of 210 Pounds or 230 Euros.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #135 of 702
I've been using these for a couple of days at work now and i'm glad i didn't return them, as they're now sounding great (even with my ipod classic). The sound is very neutral and they've lost any harshness and muddyness/dullness that they had at the beginning.

I was worried that the ear pads would get too hot, but actually they're fine (and my office has been very hot for the last few days). Like i said earlier, they warm your ears a little, but they've never become sweaty or uncomfortably hot (probably due to the quality of the leather). I had some reservations about the comfort, but i think this was due to the tightness/newness of them which meant they were pressing hard on my ears, but they're getting a less tight and are now as comfortable as any headphones i've used. Also the noise isolation is excellent.

All-in-all they fit my needs very well (work, commuting etc.) and overall are probably my most versatile/useful headphone, all things considered (sound quality, portability, noise isolation/leakage, comfort and looks). I sort of wish i hadn't been so quick to judge when they obviously were still not properly ran-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back