B&W C5 quick review
Sep 19, 2011 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ad78

New Head-Fier
Ok, while typing this to my android phone I am listening to them. Actually I'm at Starbucks now. Freshly unboxed.

Lets get to the point here.
IPod touch 4G
album: dream theater: a dramatic turn of events. Ripped from limited edition album @ 320kbps mp3

I have the P5 for for over a year now and the they are fantastic. I got the full sound after a week listening probably over 40hrs I just say..

My goodness! These C5 from the start are so freaking unbelievable! If you guys know dream theater music you will more appreciate a very good sound equipment.

I did played a couple of times between lost not forgotten which is very proggy and their ballad beneath the surface which is more acoustic and vocals.

The sound is very strong and mids and highs are balanced with the bass. Bass is a killer on these but they are tight compare to dre's garbage product.

You will not regret them. Also they are very easy to put on your ears. And comfortable. I don't understand on YouTube why that Guy needs to put them with two hands...

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 18

Quote:
The sound is very strong and mids and highs are balanced with the bass. Bass is a killer on these but they are tight compare to dre's garbage product.

You will not regret them. Also they are very easy to put on your ears. And comfortable. I don't understand on YouTube why that Guy needs to put them with two hands...

What guy on YouTube?

Also, I'd have to disagree completely with the mids and highs balanced with bass (unless you've got some bass reduction EQ on).

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 18

Quote:
Also, I'd have to disagree completely with the mids and highs balanced with bass (unless you've got some bass reduction EQ on).

Heh +1. C5 is the disappointment of the year for me.

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 18
I had to send mine back, they just wouldn't stay in my ear. I'm now wondering if i needed to push them into my canal, and have the base of the IEM rest on my bottom ear, while using the loop to push to the upper part of my ear, thus keeping it in place. I just sort of put them in my ear, and they wouldn't stay in place, i've been wondering why..

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 18
I did not enjoy my P5 until more than 150 hrs burn-in.   I hope the C5 will be the same as I really like the build quality and good isolation.   It sounded like a less competent IE8, though for the price, you get B&W design and quality.  Fitting the C5 on your ears need some adjusting, especially the loop as it can be adjusted to fit the inner or outer earloop.    Enjoy your C5!

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 18
i just re-ordered them from apple. I hope i can fit them correctly. I have had issues in the past with certain IEM's. Klipsch's imo fit the best, i love those darn oval tips!

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #9 of 18
tried them now on macbook pro via iTunes and they are more richer sound! even on maximum volume you won't hear any busted sound. hands down for the price.. 

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
tried them now on macbook pro via iTunes and they are more richer sound! even on maximum volume you won't hear any busted sound. hands down for the price.. 

Read this about maxing out volume: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/loud-music-sucks

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
Compared to Ety HF3, the B&W C5 are simply too bass heavy, too heavy and uncomfortable, at least for me.

I am returning them after less than a week!

Let them burn in for a little while before you make that decision, it does get slightly better (bass wise).  It's still a slight train wreck though in terms of overall SQ.

Dec 3, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #14 of 18
I have had mine for almost a month now. My go to IEMs are Shure 535s. My home speakers (many different systems, many) are all B&W. I bought the C5s without hearing or trying them. I was initially unimpressed with the bottom end, but I liked the mids and high end. Everything seemed lively and electric compared to the 535s. Then I discovered that you have to get them in correctly and whoa, the bottom comes with a vengeance. The 535s are so easy to get "in" correctly, as the "olive" foam pieces are very easy to get right. The C5 requires a bit of fussing. I will admit that using the loops to catch your ear the way it is supposed to be done with these phones caused me, hell it stall causes me pain. But I'm getting used to it. I still listen to the 535s mostly, but when I feel like it I really enjoy listening to the C5s. I have no regrets spending what I did to get them. (they were twice as much as I paid last Christmas for the Triple.fi 10s. And I stopped trying those after only an hour or so. Bah.)  I like variety, and these are certainly worthy. The C5s really seem to bring guitars to life, yes indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back