B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Jan 27, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #481 of 1,671
My H9s arrived today - DOA.

Not happy about this. When you push the slider switch up, nothing happens. No lights at all.

I ran all the usual troubleshooting steps....

- Did a battery pull, and re-inserted it

- Checked the battery by plugging in a USB adapter - full green light.

- Tried the H9s battery in my H8s, perfect.

- Tried the fully-charged H8 battery in the H9 - nothing. In every scenario, the H8s worked, the H9s did not.

- In case it was just the light that wasn't working, I turned on the switch and put the H9s on - no n/c at all - totally dead.

As a happy H8 owner, I'm surprised. They've never given me a bit of trouble.

So two questions.

First, is this a common occurance with the H9s, or did I just get a bad set?

Second, any other troubleshooting steps you can think of?

Thanks

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #482 of 1,671
  Btw. what case have you bought or would you suggest for the H9's?

Hi

Even though my H9s arrived DOA, I did try them in my headphone cases. This one below fits perfectly:

https://www.amazon.com/UltraShell-Headphones-OLUFSEN-SoundTrue-Carrying/dp/B019XLBZXM/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

DO NOT get the GoCase!!!!! I did - and so did lots of others - and we all discovered it smells like toxic chemicals! They smell HORRIBLE, and it's not subtle, it's a blast of nose-killing fumes. 

Read through the reviews....might not be every GoCase is toxic....but the case above is perfect.

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #483 of 1,671
HD_dude is right. Once out of the box the Gocase smells a bit toxic. My solution was to spray it slightly with my perfume and the smell was gone immediately. To verify the solution I just came from trying to smell the case now (3 months after purchase) and it smells nothing really. So whatever chemicals you may be smelling at first they don't anymore. However, you could also try this : https://www.beoplay.com/landingpages/hardgraft

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #484 of 1,671
HD_Dude -- did you try resetting your H9's by holding the power switch all the way up for 10 seconds?

On an unrelated note, I just took my first long plane ride with the H9's and they performed admirably.  Sounded great -- and the ANC was a lot more effective than I expected it to be.  I didn't have to turn the volume up past 65% or so, except when watching a downloaded Netflix movie when I cranked it to 80%.

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #485 of 1,671
  HD_Dude -- did you try resetting your H9's by holding the power switch all the way up for 10 seconds?

Ahhhhhhh.....no, I did not know about that!!! I appreciate it!

I'll try it as soon as I get home.

Thank you!

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #486 of 1,671

Well, I tried to reset the headphones, and nothing. Still dead.

I plugged them into a/c power, though....and tried again. Eventually, while holding the power button all the way up,  the light turned from blue to red....

But when I released it, it started a cycle of green - orange - green - orange - green....(still plugged in....when I unplug them they're dead). 
Any wizards know if that's a diagnostic code? I get the same code whether the switch is on or off.

Anyway, it seems to be a power issue connected to the battery path. They're going back. I will order a new pair, though, because I know B&O makes good gear. This must be a fluke.

Thanks

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #487 of 1,671
Hi, guys, 

I have been reading Head-Fi for years for headphone reviews, and this is my first post thanks to the BeoPlay H9. I am a die-hard Bang & Olufsen fan, I personally own the H3, H5, H3ANC, H6, H7, H8 and now the H9. I also have a few wireless speakers from them. I really enjoyed the qualities of their products. 

I read almost 32 pages of the H9 review before buying my pair, I was skeptical about the issues that were presented in the forum, such as battery, volume, bluetooth, etc. I had it for about a week now, I have to say, luckily, I had none of these problems. I realize sound is subjective, some people prefer lounder music, some people prefer more bass. I think what Beoplay has done for me is to hit the exact sweet spot, I barely need to adjust anything in the BeoPlay app. I am not very technical with terminology like some of you here on the forum, H9 offers the same signature like H7, I may find it to be a little more bassier but I enjoyed it. The build and comfort is almost exactly the same as H7. Usually at home, I put the volume around 50% and when I am communting in the metro, I listen at around 80-85% volume. So far I didn't have any problems with BT, I remebered when H8 first came out, I had a lot of problems with BT connections, my H9 has been performing admirably. I personally tried QC 35 and found the ANC to be too strong, and did not enjoy the the suction feeling it created on my ear. ANC of the BeoPlay H9 is very subtle but effective, you can still hear a little bit of the annoucements inside the metro and car horns on the street. Overall, it is a very well-built headphone, I think if ANC, comfort, and lightweight is your priority, then go for the QC 35, but if you want better sound quality, better built with also effective ANC and comfort, then definitely consider the H9, I know it is pricey, but it is worth it! 

Let me know if you have any questions, Cheers!

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #488 of 1,671
Before a recent business trip I went on a headphone spree to compare the H9 with QC35, Momentum 2, MDR1000X. H9 was a clear winner in the sound quality department.

However, the touch controls are simply terrible. A single accidental graze against the side of the phones while on a call will disconnect you. This isn't hypothetical, I'm complaining because I've done it a few times. To the point where I went back and listened to the others again to see if I could tolerate them. I'd say if you're just looking for a headset, the QC35 wins because of it's physical buttons, ability to connect to different devices (take screen casts on the computer, regular calls on the phone) and no annoying touch controls. QC35 is also tuned for conversation (mid-range emphasis). 

H9 is the first pair of headphones I enjoyed listening to more than my trusty Senn HD25-2 II that I've use for production, traveling, djing, everything the past few years. Always trying new things but never finding anything I liked better. I wrote BEO to see if there's any chance of disabling the touch controls in a firmware update. Fingers crossed. OR that they'll give up the ghost and release a version with physical buttons. 

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #489 of 1,671

Hi

Even though my H9s arrived DOA, I did try them in my headphone cases. This one below fits perfectly:

https://www.amazon.com/UltraShell-Headphones-OLUFSEN-SoundTrue-Carrying/dp/B019XLBZXM/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

DO NOT get the GoCase!!!!! I did - and so did lots of others - and we all discovered it smells like toxic chemicals! They smell HORRIBLE, and it's not subtle, it's a blast of nose-killing fumes. 

Read through the reviews....might not be every GoCase is toxic....but the case above is perfect.

Sorry to hear about your DOA H9's :frowning2:

Thanks for the warning about the GoCase. A few reviews of the UltraShell also mentions it smells?

And interestingly, a review states this:
A good case overall but if you're getting it for the Beoplay H9 (and H7 presumably), the case isn't wide enough so it will squeeze in the memory foam and leave a dent in the cushion. 

Any comments about that?

The positive thing is that the case is available on Amazon.co.uk: https://www.amazon.co.uk/UltraShell-Headphones-OLUFSEN-SoundTrue-Carrying/dp/B019XLBZXM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1485588830&sr=8-4&keywords=geekria+ultrashell+headphone+case and it's cheaper :)

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #493 of 1,671

Sorry to hear about your DOA H9's :frowning2:

Thanks for the warning about the GoCase. A few reviews of the UltraShell also mentions it smells?

And interestingly, a review states this:
Any comments about that?

The positive thing is that the case is available on Amazon.co.uk: https://www.amazon.co.uk/UltraShell-Headphones-OLUFSEN-SoundTrue-Carrying/dp/B019XLBZXM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1485588830&sr=8-4&keywords=geekria+ultrashell+headphone+case and it's cheaper :)

I wish I could verify, but I no longer have 'em.....the H9's are en route back to the store where I got 'em.....another set will arrive soon!

Thanks

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #494 of 1,671
  Are these larger than the 1000x? Can I also confirm that these doesn't fold up like the Bose or Sony? Thanks!

They don't fold into a 'football' shape, like the Sonys, Bose or Senn Momentum.

But they do, in fact, fold flat. The earcups rotate so that they provide a relatively small footprint.

Great for backpacks or laptop cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back