B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Dec 2, 2016 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,671

Tomerco

New Head-Fier
So it appears there are new headphones coming from B&O...

Bang & Olufsen has just added a new flagship pair of wireless headphones to its Beoplay line-up, mashing high-end luxury with serious audio tech – at a price.

The Beoplay H9 connect wirelessly over Bluetooth – yet another option for iPhone 7 owners, then – and feature active noise cancellation. But not just any ANC. B&O uses clever hybrid active noise cancelling, which the Danish company claims prevents any distortion of the original music while still blocking out such annoyances as the unwanted drone of plane engines, babies screaming because they weren’t allowed to finish their nutritional Big Mac, or the drunken rugby chatter of non-practising students.

Related: Best Headphones to Buy

There’s a touch-sensitive panel on the right earcup for activating the noise cancelling, changing volume, skipping tracks and answering calls. Battery life is a claimed 14 hours from a three-hour charge, and you can even tweak the EQ via the Beoplay companion app. Swish.

image: http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/00003c01c/f5ab_orh616w616/b-o-beoplay-h9-1.jpg

b-o-beoplay-h9-1.jpg

Of course, this wouldn’t be B&O if the H9 weren’t healthily lavished with luxurious touches that prove you’re just a little bit minted and wouldn't be seen dead near a pair of Beats by Dre. The headband has an aluminium frame covered with stitched cowhide leather, while the over-ear cups are crafted from aluminium and cushioned with soft lambskin. Obviously.

The B&O Beoplay H9 are available in black or “Argilla Grey” (no, not a clue) for a not-inconsiderable £449/$499/€499.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/b-o-beoplay-h9-could-be-the-most-luxurious-wireless-headphones-we-ve-seen#OIPpSjzDFJQOyeTE.99

Dec 2, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 1,671
I am very interested in this headphone with how much I love my h6's, but not at that asking price lol. Previous models have bad reviews about the bluetooth connection which I hope are fixed. No doubt in my mind they blow the qc35 out of the water for sound quality, but if it cannot at least match let alone exceed the qc35 in terms of comfort and noise cancellation, then I don't see the point in buying these in the future

Dec 2, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 1,671
I am in the market for wireless headphones to use exclusively with my iPhone 7+ and have demoed the Bose QC35's, Sony X1000, and briefly the Momentum 2 wireless.  I ultimately settled on the B&W P7 wireless which I purchased one week ago.  I have posted about this in another thread.  It has been years since I have posted on this forum (original member in 2003) and years since I have listened to cans.  My interest is due to the loss of my beloved ETY 4's after 12 years of stellar service - and my desire to go wireless.

The QC35's gave me ear pressure problems due to the active NC however I did feel that they sounded better than the new Sony X1000.  Quite honestly I do not understand all of the love the new Sony's are receiving.  While the NC on the Sony's did not bother me as much as the Bose I felt that the Bose simply sounded better.

All of this became meaningless once I heard the B&W P7 wireless.  IMHO they SIGNIFICANTLY outperform both the Sony and Bose - and Momentum 2 wireless which I briefly heard.  I am willing to use these on an airplane (I don't travel that frequently) as I feel that the sheer musicality and involvement which the B&W's give will have me concentrating more on the tunes and less on the surrounding cabin noise.

With that said I have already preordered the new H9 from Amazon and anxiously await their arrival next Friday.  I like the fact that Noise Cancellation can be completely deactivated since most of my use will be in this mode.  I am anxious to compare the two and I owe no allegiance to the B&W.  I am planning on taking both on a flight at the end of the month and will make my final decision based on how both cans perform without Noise Cancellation and on an airline flight.

These are interesting times as Apple's move towards eliminating the headphone jack definitely seems to have pushed companies into introducing more wireless headphones to the marketplace.  IMHO it is we the consumers who win in this situation.  The choices we have keep growing day by day.

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 1,671
I am in the market for wireless headphones to use exclusively with my iPhone 7+ and have demoed the Bose QC35's, Sony X1000, and briefly the Momentum 2 wireless.  I ultimately settled on the B&W P7 wireless which I purchased one week ago.  I have posted about this in another thread.  It has been years since I have posted on this forum (original member in 2003) and years since I have listened to cans.  My interest is due to the loss of my beloved ETY 4's after 12 years of stellar service - and my desire to go wireless.

The QC35's gave me ear pressure problems due to the active NC however I did feel that they sounded better than the new Sony X1000.  Quite honestly I do not understand all of the love the new Sony's are receiving.  While the NC on the Sony's did not bother me as much as the Bose I felt that the Bose simply sounded better.

All of this became meaningless once I heard the B&W P7 wireless.  IMHO they SIGNIFICANTLY outperform both the Sony and Bose - and Momentum 2 wireless which I briefly heard.  I am willing to use these on an airplane (I don't travel that frequently) as I feel that the sheer musicality and involvement which the B&W's give will have me concentrating more on the tunes and less on the surrounding cabin noise.

With that said I have already preordered the new H9 from Amazon and anxiously await their arrival next Friday.  I like the fact that Noise Cancellation can be completely deactivated since most of my use will be in this mode.  I am anxious to compare the two and I owe no allegiance to the B&W.  I am planning on taking both on a flight at the end of the month and will make my final decision based on how both cans perform without Noise Cancellation and on an airline flight.

These are interesting times as Apple's move towards eliminating the headphone jack definitely seems to have pushed companies into introducing more wireless headphones to the marketplace.  IMHO it is we the consumers who win in this situation.  The choices we have keep growing day by day.

I am looking forward to read your comparison between the p7 wireless and the h9.

I am currently in the market for a new portable headphone and right now my teo main contenders are the p7 and the sine...

Dec 7, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 1,671
I have also placed an order for H9 (already issued a return for the H7 I received a month ago). From what amazon claims, I will be able to have them just before Xmas and therefore take time during holidays in order to hear them as much as possible. Let's see what kind of bluetooth improvements they have in store, considering the problems the H7 came with. In any way, the actual build of the set won't be any different from what the H7 stands for, except for the anc of course.

Dec 7, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #6 of 1,671
  I am very interested in this headphone with how much I love my h6's, but not at that asking price lol. Previous models have bad reviews about the bluetooth connection which I hope are fixed. No doubt in my mind they blow the qc35 out of the water for sound quality, but if it cannot at least match let alone exceed the qc35 in terms of comfort and noise cancellation, then I don't see the point in buying these in the future

Same situation. I adore my H6 when taking them with me while traveling and listening in a quiet hotel room or at home. But I'd love the option for wireless (since I will be upgrading my iPhone next year) and especially Noice Cancelling while in the plane...
I really hope the audio quality of the H9 will be better and clearer than H8 and H7... One pair of cans to rule them all would be nice :p
Looking forward to the pioneers who will try them out the coming days / weeks.
Any chance one of you has the H6 and could try the remote cable with Mic with the H9?
Cheers!

Dec 7, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #7 of 1,671
So as someone who has been out of the "cans" business for quite a while (see my post above) am I led to believe that up until now people have not been overly thrilled with B&O headphones? I refer to the above quote "better and clearer than the H7 and H8"

When I started visiting the forum a few weeks ago after a long absence and began my research for a pair of wireless headphones I definitely noticed that the number of postings on B&O were dramatically less than all others. I took this to mean that they were really not much of a contender on this forum and most likely considered a "lifestyle" brand ala Beats.
As such my demos were limited to Sony, Sennheiser, Bose and B&W (my ultimate choice) in my hunt for a wireless pair.

Dec 7, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 1,671
I can not say I am thrilled with the H7 since it is my first purchase of headphones over 100 euros, so no actual comparison with an extended usage of a previous set. However, as I also did not have the chance to try all the competitors (P7, MDR 1000x and PXC 550) and only test the QC35, I can say that on the level of sound (bluetooth) between the two (H7 and QC35) the beoplay is the best by far. Now, on build quality I also support H7, although some would say that it is too soft to clutch the head. I say it holds enough. Materials? The best of class. Bluetooth? Ticking sounds when low volume. So, overall I am quite happy with the beoplay set. Now, why change to H9? The sheer hope that it will be a better bluetooth device, and if I get the anc too then no problem. PRICE is indeed too much. but quality overall comes at a price anyway. Besides, an exchangeable battery and an upgrade-able set are always welcome :) and quite differentiated from the current market rule right?

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #9 of 1,671
I just ordered  direct from B&O. Right now I have the P7 Wireless, Bose QC35's, and Beats Solo 3 Wireless so have some others to compare against. The H6's are my favorite wired headphone period but I am done with wires finally and have them for sale.

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #10 of 1,671
i have a contact at a local B & O store here in Aventura who said they are coming in next week so ill give them a listen! I've been an H8 owner for 3 weeks now and its incredible. So im totally looking forward to finding out how the H9 sounds. 

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #11 of 1,671
  I just ordered  direct from B&O. Right now I have the P7 Wireless, Bose QC35's, and Beats Solo 3 Wireless so have some others to compare against. The H6's are my favorite wired headphone period but I am done with wires finally and have them for sale.

Looking forward to your feedback. The H6 is on my wish list, but if the H9 sounds as good, plus the benefit of wireless capabilities, it may be worth the extra $200 (ouch) over the $299 (ouch) H6.

I've been trying to figure out a good justification for my wife for why I need $300 headphones, so justifying $500 headphones will take an extra leap into the abyss.

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #12 of 1,671
Amazon charged my credit card yesterday - release date is today- I should be receiving my pair tomorrow. Looking forward to comparing them with the P7 wireless which have been sitting here for two weeks

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #13 of 1,671
No need to say that I had the same problem. But when deciding on that amount of money expectations may exceed the actual thing. So keep it low and ask yourself what you really want from a headset... and then try them. In the end you make the decision so it better be worth it

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #14 of 1,671
Bummer is they just announced the new approved spec for Bluetooth 5 yesterday, with products shipping in the coming months. Will B&O update the H9 with new chips or will the product continue to be manufactured as-is until...???

Me, I wish I could get the H9 with Apple's W1 chip, which is supposed to work phenomenally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back