B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Dec 8, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #17 of 1,671
Interesting that even though the headphones were (technically) released today, and will be received by some who pre-ordered as early as tomorrow, I can't find a single substantive review on the internet yet.  (There are a few articles about them, but those articles just parrot the information in the product release announcement.)  Not even a single review on Amazon.  Is that typical?

Dec 8, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #18 of 1,671
the compression and latency of bluetooth 5.0 is still the same, sources are saying those won't be updated until 2018 so aptx HD over bluetooth 4.2 is still theoretically superior for sound quality. Let's hope the H9 uses the aptx HD codec

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #20 of 1,671
I have these, having just received them today.  Wear wise they are very comfortable to me.  I disliked the H8s due to the clamping, and these, while there is some "force" there, the ear pads and very cushioned and comfortable.  I hear a more bass heavy presence than my generation 1 H6s, but the music is still clear and detailed to me, just more punchy.  The app makes a difference in the sound, but it appears to be more subtle than the experience I have had with the app for the Parrot Zik in the past.  The color (Agilla Bright???) is more muted than that of the H8s and H6s.  The ANC seems to work well, but I am in a completely different environment than when I owned the H8s so I hesitate to compare.

I would recommend these to anyone.  I am very happy with my purchase.

Dec 8, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #21 of 1,671
I currently have a set of ATH-M50s as well as some RHA MA750 in-ears. I'd like to take a step up in the quality and comfort department. I'm only familiar with the H6 through various reviews I have read - no one carries them locally for me to audition (which is probably the case for most). I did try the H7 at the local Apple Store and found them incredibly comfortable, but I have no idea how the H6 is sound-wise in comparison.

But based on the rave reviews, I figured I would give them a try. But going wireless with the H9 might be even better if the sound quality doesn't suffer and if the Bluetooth proves reliable.

Some of the reviews of the H6 Gen 2 over the Gen 1 mentioned that the Gen 2 were much more efficient and worked better than Gen 1 with low-powered devices, like my iPhone. I assume when one goes wireless that the device's power is no longer a critical part of the equation, is that correct?

I'd be curious to know how the H9 compares directly to the H6 when used in wired mode as well.

And being new to the Bluetooth headphone scene, how do these work with multiple devices? Say I want to use them with my iPhone, my iPad and my Mac. Do the 'phones essentially remain "paired" to all three devices and you simply have to choose them as the output unit for whichever device I'm using at the time? I don't have to pair them with the device in question for every use do I? So say I have the headphones on my nightstand by the bed where I normally use them to listen to my iPhone. I put them on and walk up to my home office, where I now want to use them with my Mac. What is the process to make that happen?

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #23 of 1,671
I really want to hear some comparisons with the P7 Wireless before I get a chance to do it.  :)

Dec 9, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #25 of 1,671
  I'd be curious to know how the H9 compares directly to the H6 when used in wired mode as well.

Same here. Totally interested in this. An almost H6Gen2-like quality for on the go with NC (don't care much about Bluetooth) would be awesome.

I have these, having just received them today.  Wear wise they are very comfortable to me.  I disliked the H8s due to the clamping, and these, while there is some "force" there, the ear pads and very cushioned and comfortable.  I hear a more bass heavy presence than my generation 1 H6s, but the music is still clear and detailed to me, just more punchy.  The app makes a difference in the sound, but it appears to be more subtle than the experience I have had with the app for the Parrot Zik in the past.  The color (Agilla Bright???) is more muted than that of the H8s and H6s.  The ANC seems to work well, but I am in a completely different environment than when I owned the H8s so I hesitate to compare.

I would recommend these to anyone.  I am very happy with my purchase.

Since you have the H6 Gen1 ... could you try the cable delivered with the H6, with button an Mic on the H9? I really want to know if the H9 works with the remote cable for my Apple devices on a plane... the H7 only had audio on one side using the H6 cable and doesn't come with a remote and mic cable... 
That would be great, thanks mate- 

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #27 of 1,671
I returned my H7s because I found there was some interference in the left ear cup where the BT chip was located.  Had three pairs of them and it was the same on each.  I guess I may be sensitive to that or something.  The sound wasn't as good as my H6 V2s but it was close.  Interested to hear about the H9s.  I had pre-ordered them and now I get a message from Amazon that they are backordered for a few weeks.  So I canceled.  I'll just wait for some reviews first.  The H6 V2s are good enough for now.  :)

Dec 9, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #30 of 1,671
By it's pure physical design alone, the isolation in H9 is better than in H8 (I have both - got the H9 last week in store a day after I got the email announcing the H9) because it's over the ear. But I think the ANC employed is slightly different as well, so whilst it's also slightly 'stronger' than the H8, the clinking you used to get with the H8 with ANC when walking is gone. Also, in the H8, when you switched between ANC on and off, the sound characteristics definitely changed quite noticeably. With the H9, I can't discern too much of a difference in sound characteristic between the ANC on or off. All in all, I'd say that the H9 has definitely improved on the H8 on the ANC front. 

Obviously, with it being over the ear, the H9s sound 'bigger' and more immersive than the H8s, which is the main reason why I bought it. I held off buying the H7s (which didn't have ANC) and I'm glad I did. My H8s will probably go on eBay now because i don't need both, but one thing going for the H8s - they're more portable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back