Avantone : Pro Planar
Oct 19, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #136 of 1,500
I've never heard STAX. I just like the speed/clarity of the M570 which I assume is due to the planar drivers. I'd like that aspect without the issues the M570 has.
100% the Avantone Planar has that. The Avantone Planar is one if the fastest planars I have heard till this day. The transients is extremely fast and clarity is superb as well. It's not forced clarity though, it's very natural clarity which is more realistic rather than pushing a whole heap of detail all at once into your ear. But the Planar is still very very very detailed :)

Oct 19, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #137 of 1,500
100% the Avantone Planar has that. The Avantone Planar is one if the fastest planars I have heard till this day. The transients is extremely fast and clarity is superb as well. It's not forced clarity though, it's very natural clarity which is more realistic rather than pushing a whole heap of detail all at once into your ear. But the Planar is still very very very detailed :)
I'm wondering if you could do me a favor. Could you check this video, and let me know when the Planar starts rolling off, how fast it seems to drop, and where the usable output stops?

Oct 19, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #138 of 1,500
Avantone Pro Planer

Right Out of the Box impressions.

Music used :

Sade
Tom Chaplin
Rush
Sarah Jarosz
10CC
Keith Urban

So, to begin with, the Negatives :
The pads are not wonderful.
They are mildly scratchy and you will notice this at first, and keeping noticing them for the first hour. Then its better as the fibers flatten and become more comfortable.

Next, the build quality is what i'd define as "1963 Czechoslovakia assembly line""".
Metal Frame. Metal Cups. Metal metal everywhere except for the headband and the insulation on the wire.
We have a general sense of metal playing with metal all trying to adjust to your head's shape.
They do, actually, but at first its, interesting.
After some hours with them, its fine.
Clamping pressure is mild.
Headband is good.
Ear cups are medium depth and will fit most ears comfortably.
The Avantone's do not totally disappear on your head.
You notice their bulk at first, but like all headphones...if you wear them a lot, you forget about them.

Cables are a bit stiff, they are not labeled "L & R" because its not necessary. Just plug in and you are there.
Cables are not particularly microphonic, and not particularly high end, but they'll do, and are very easy to replace.

Ok, thats all the complaints., and other then the scratchy pads, and the all metal frame, i have nothing more to slightly downgrade.

Sound.:

They sound Good.

My very first initial impression was that they sound like excellent Dynamic headphones, yet they are inexpensive Planer's.
Soundwise they offer a lot of what is most desirably in a Dynamic, yet they are a set of Planer's. This is a good thing.
There is a somewhat "analog" tonality located inside these headphone's sonic signature that is quite pleasant.
They are truly a unique sounding set of Planer's.
Evidently the engineer was trying to create a tonality that reminds you of "vintage" and "analog".
Lots of clarity and impressive resolution at this price point.
Detail retrieval is superior.

Treble...:

Quite Revealing..
As i said, very good detail retrieval.
The sound perspective is : Natural + slightly analytical.
Trebles are really good. Lots of air around vocals that are recorded well.

Midrange....:

Punchy
Revealing
Dynamic
Rich
Low mids are free of bloat.
There is no sense that the mids are laid back. They are very forthright, well presented, rich, and provide excellent clarity and definition.

Bass.....:

Extension is ok, balance is good.
These Planars are designed to appeal to the crowd that likes neutrality and clarity and detail.
The bass is designed to stay balanced and well represented, yet not dominate.
It allows the mids and the treble to shine and sing.

Soundstage. :

This is the best part of this gear, along with the detail retrieval.
The instrument separation and soundstage is very good.
It's unique.
Sound comes out of the blackness and its very good and somewhat analytical.
There is a lot of sound in front and there is a unique side to side presentation extension that is very nice.
This is a $399 set of Planar's that will have you reaching for all your favorite music to give it a new listen.
So, that is the best compliment i can give these headphones, as that is what they for for me.

Rating :

Treble : 8.5

Midrange : 8.5

Bass : 7.9

Sound Presentation : 8:9

Timbre - Tonality - Textural Accuracy : 8.9

Comfort : 7.6

Value for $399 USD. : 8.8+

Sonic Value for the money : 9.2+

Unique Sonic Presentation.
Very enjoyable audiophile sound that punches above their price point.
ive now listened to them for hrs, and have enjoyed what im hearing.
The soundstage they represent is unique.
Their handling of vocals is very good.
Instrument separation is very good.
Cable upgrade is simple.
Give them a listen, they offer a unique audiophile sound value.
-
  • Style: Over-ear, open-back
  • Transducer Type: Planar Magnetic
  • Magnet Type: Neodymium N50SH
  • Diaphragm Type: 21 Micron PET
  • Transducer size: 70 x 95 mm
  • Maximum power handling: 5W RMS
  • Frequency response: 30Hz - 30kHz
  • THD: <0.1% @ 100dB
  • Impedance: 32 Ω
  • Sensitivity: 104 dB/1mW (at Drum Reference Point)
  • Minimum power:>100mW
  • Recommended power:>250mW
  • Weight: .48kg; 1 Lbs
-
-

AV 1.JPGAV 2.JPGAV 3.JPGAV 4.JPG
1603131849084.png

Oct 19, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #139 of 1,500
I'm wondering if you could do me a favor. Could you check this video, and let me know when the Planar starts rolling off, how fast it seems to drop, and where the usable output stops?

Just had a listen now with two different dac/amps. On my Aune BU1 2nd gen. The roll off started at 60hz and stopped at 30hz. I think a low shelf from 60hz of 2db will help :). With my SMSL M500, the roll of again started at 60hz but completely stopped at 25hz and the roll off was less apparent. With the SMSL M500, the roll of was slower than the Aune BU1 2nd gen.

Oct 20, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #140 of 1,500
Just had a listen now with two different dac/amps. On my Aune BU1 2nd gen. The roll off started at 60hz and stopped at 30hz. I think a low shelf from 60hz of 2db will help :). With my SMSL M500, the roll of again started at 60hz but completely stopped at 25hz and the roll off was less apparent. With the SMSL M500, the roll of was slower than the Aune BU1 2nd gen.
Could you check this site out and report back to us? I hate to request more of your time but you do own the headphones lol.

https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #141 of 1,500
Oct 20, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #142 of 1,500
I only had a chance to test out the 10 to 200hz and 22khz to 8khz. From 20hz to 200hz bass was audible and clear. With the 22khz to 8khz the high frequency became audible at 17khz.
That second part is probably more of a hearing test than a headphone test, I'd wager most of us over 30 can't hear much over 17khz.

Oct 20, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #143 of 1,500
I got 6hz and 15kh with the stock m1060s and my old ears.

Liked the Avantone but it was small physically and soundwise. Is there a planar that is as clean but bigger? What do I need to get to get a larger version of the Avantone? Do the Hifiman do that like say the Ayria? Or se1000?

Oct 20, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #144 of 1,500

Liked the Avantone but it was small physically and soundwise. Is there a planar that is as clean but bigger? What do I need to get to get a larger version of the Avantone? Do the Hifiman do that like say the Ayria? Or se1000?

HE-500 gets my vote for these criteria.

Oct 20, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #145 of 1,500

No human can hear sub bass down to 6hz. It. Is. Not. Possible.

Oct 20, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #146 of 1,500

Thats interesting as for me the sound presentation is big. As big as the Ayria, if not the Avantone Planar reminds me heaps of the Ayria only more neutral. I did notice that the pads though can be mounted slightly lower or higher and in doing so it does mess with how they sound and seal.

Oct 20, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #147 of 1,500
That second part is probably more of a hearing test than a headphone test, I'd wager most of us over 30 can't hear much over 17khz.
True. But to be completely honest, I am actually extremely impressed as I done a similar test with another headphone and that was the Focal Clear. The Focal Clear and Avantone Planar are the only headphones where I could hear 17khz.... and the Planar also has some of the most satisfying mid bass slam/impact I have heard on any headphone. I think some headphones have some dips on the lower frequency but I think the Planar might barely have any as the mids bass is truly some of the best I have heard while being neutral, when it's called for it really delivers.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #148 of 1,500
No human can hear sub bass down to 6hz. It. Is. Not. Possible.
No, but you can hear driver flutter.

Liked the Avantone but it was small physically and soundwise.

Small physically? From the only pic I've seen of someone wearing them they looked ginormous! Also can you elaborate on what that means, soundwise?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #149 of 1,500
It just keeps getting better and better....... Black Sabbath on these sounds 😍🤘. Black Sabbath has a veild/muffled and dark signature to there music. Only a few specific songs are actually very clear. But I must say, if the headphone is truly good or has a neutral tonality, that veil can be lifted. The Planar does it by far the best. Only a few headphones come very close. Thats a very very good sign :wink:

Oct 23, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #150 of 1,500
No, but you can hear driver flutter.

Small physically? From the only pic I've seen of someone wearing them they looked ginormous! Also can you elaborate on what that means, soundwise?
yes small in terms of the driver size. Thinking about it like the M1060 vs. M565. Avantone has a small driver compared to planars like the M1060. Small cups as well.

Soundwise its less bass slam, smaller sound stage and just not as big sounding.

Ironically I added pads to the stock pads on the M565 just like I did with the Avantone. It helps to make it sound bigger and the fit is better. After the m565 and Sendy i had agreed not to buy another small driver planar. Forgot that when getting the Avantone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back